Job rejection letters.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Hedger, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Sigh.
    Got up today..checked my mailbox. Got a letter from my latest place that I applied to looking for a better job.
    "Thank you for applying, while you do have an impressive list of skills available....blah blah blah we picked someone else over you. Good luck in the future."
    This is pissing me off! BIGTIME!!!!!
    I am getting sick and tired of this.
    Basically I am at a job doing dialup ISP support for home residences at a $3,600 paycut from my last job due to a layoff at the end of June. I am on my last leg on this job as I have been written up for being rude to people call in. Im not really, I just talk fast and go straight to the problem without trying to have a converation about someone's sick dog and why they need to IM their sister in Vermont. That I dont care about, I just care about getting you online so you have the ability...what you do past then is your business.
    Anyway I am barely making it from paycheck to paycheck paying my house payment, credit card and utility bills. I have applied to more than 20 different places in the last month alone and have not heard back from hardly any of them. The ones I do hear from I either get the inital interview of application process done and then either don't hear from them again or get said rejection letter in the mail.
    What can I do? I am studying for CCNA certifcation to add to my resume, I also got my A+ in the middle of August. Im wanting to get off the phones and get more hands on work with computers and networks and such but I can't find any bites. Every rejection letter received just adds another notch to the depression meter as it seems that he job market is over saturated due to lay offs and that there is always someone just 1 step ahead of me getting the jobs I go for.

2. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

I feel your pain Travis,
    The job market is extremely tight right now. My wife has been looking around for a job since I am getting layed off myself in December. She has put in alot of resumes also. Even the places that call back are extremely anal about who they are hiring right now. I mean it is not like she is looking for something to pay 100K a year or something. She just wants something to pay 8 to 10 dollars an hour to help us get by and they just keep wanting to take up her time in multiple interviews and tests. One particular teller job she has now been to three interviews and also taken a test. Jeez just hire somebody already. All of that and they are only wanting to pay 8 dollars an hour! You would think she was applying to be president of the bank or something? She has been to alot of place they have had her go to two interviews and then turn around and not even call her back to tell her if she got the job. That is flat out rude. Anyway didn't mean to go off on a rant.
    Good Luck man. I am sure with your skills you will find something.
    Kevin C.

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    The best thing I recommend to people is that they dont wait for the employer to call them back, they do followup calls themselves. Be proactive in your job search. If you haven't heard from someplace where you have sent a resume to in say a week, call them. Ask them if they received the resume. Ask them what their hiring schedule is, when they'd be phoning for interviews, and heck, even take the opportunity to inquire more about the details of the posting.
    Good luck to all.
    I'm in a tough position too. I'm working for a large company doing something I don't like to do, hoping it will turn into a career in human resources, but it never does. Every once in a while I apply for such and such jobs in and outside of the company, do my followups, but no luck at all. It's very frustrating. My company is imposing a 'hiring freeze' right now. Just because the economy is tight. At least our stock price has bounced back up though!
    If anyone has advice for this situation, please let me know as well!
    ------------------
    I AM CANADIAN!

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

5. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Man Ryan that is terrible. I don't think I would want to work for a place with such little class after that.

6. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I know the feeling there guy. I had an interview with the company my dad used to work for. I had my interview, and was basicly told I had the job. This is after not haveing one for about 2 months. I was a happy person. I called the next week since I hadn't heard from her. And, the next, and the next. Well, I find out thru a TEMP place that they have a hireing freeze on. Why couldn't she at least tell me that? I wasn't too happy about that. Well, the good thing is, they just layed off some people, and they are supposed to be laying off about 800 more. So, I am kind of glad I didn't get that one.
    ------------------
    Jeff Blair
    AIM blairj2
    Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    - Abraham Lincoln
    My DVD's

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

In college, it was supposed to be some weird badge of honor to plaster your rejection letters outside your dorm (mainly on your door), but this one guy managed to plaster not only his door, but also the walls on both sides of the door. He finally got a job, but I think he racked up over 50 rejection letters. Me, I don't think I could have stood to get so many of those letters.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i don't get this attitude either. i had a staffing agency fly me to los angeles for a job interview with a *major* consumer electronic/hollywood studio company (tough one eh... [​IMG] )
    anyway, this agency paid for everything; plane fare, hotel, transporation, etc. i figured, at the very least, they must have been somewhat interested.
    so i do the interview and go home. i never heard from them again. i called four or five times with no luck...not even a call-back.
    go figure...
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)