What's new

Joan Crawford, Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Corey

Screenwriter
i know WB is releasing a nd volume of joan crawford titles next year and one of them will be "flamingo road," but what other 4 titles are you hoping the set will include?

along with flamingo road, i hope they include:
-strange cargo
-today we live
-sadie mckee
-a woman's face
-when ladies meet

Corey

Screenwriter
films that WB own. her movies from the 30s and 40s are what i'm talkin bout. none of that crap from her later career.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
So many of Crawford movies I'd but this would be my selection:
-Flamingo Road;
-Mannequin;
-A Woman's Face;
-The Shining Hour;
-When Ladies Meet;
-Chained.

Of course, I am only chosing 6 six pictures (though I think they would put just 5 titles per box).
There a lots of more Crawford that I would still want: Strange Cargo, The Gorgeous Hussy, Susan and God, Forsaking All Others, Love on the Run, Letty Linton (I have never seen this one), No More Ladies...

Corey

Screenwriter
well if they do release "when ladies meet," i hope they would package it with the 1933 version with ann harding and myrna loy.

Corey

Screenwriter

Released in 1941, A Woman's Face tells the story of Anna Holm (Joan Crawford), a mysterious woman on trial for murder. The story unfolds in flashbacks related by Anna Holm's partners in crime. Anna is a very bitter woman, unable to accept the fact that her once-beautiful face has been horribly disfigured by fire. She takes out her anger and frustration on just about everyone, and not surprisingly, incurs a lot of bad feeling among her little band of associates.
Anna's specialty is blackmail, and one of her victims is the erring wife of a prominent plastic surgeon (Melvyn Douglas). He persuades Anna to undergo several operations, although he has his reservations: "If I am successful I will have created a monster: a beautiful face with no heart." When Anna does emerge from the bandages a lovely woman, she takes up with Torsten Barring, played by the suavely evil Conrad Veidt (best known as Major Strasser in Casablanca.) He needs Anna's help to carry out a particularly unsavory plan: doing away with his little nephew (upon whose death Torsten Barring will come into a lot of money.) Anna agrees at first ("I haven't joined the side of the saints yet"), but soon finds that her entire outlook on life (and death) has changed along with her new face.

Joan Crawford was an actress never afraid to "reach", and as Anna Holm she took the unusual (for 1941) risk of playing a woman scarred both inside and out, torn between cold-blooded ruthlessness and the emergence of morals she thought long buried.

Corey

Screenwriter

i remember that movie. gosh, it's been ages since i've seen it. is that with fred macmurray?

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator
This is how I hope it will be :D

Vol.2

Flammingo Road
Letty Lynton
Sudden Fear
Possessed[1931]
2 disk with 3 silent (Our Dancing Daughters,Our Modern Maidens,West Point)

Vol.3

Sadie McKee
Susan and God
A Woman's Face
This Woman Is Dangerous
2 disk with 3 silent (Twelve Miles Out,The Boob,Across to Singapore)

Vol.4

Paid
Laughing Sinners
Torch Song
Chained
No More Ladies

Vol.5

Forsaking All Others
I Live My Life
Love on the Run
Above Suspicion
The Gorgeous Hussy

Mannequin in a Spencer Tracy box

Dance Fools Dance,Strange Cargo in Clark Gable boxes

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just don't believe that a print of LETTY LYNTON still exists. If it did, I honestly think we would have seen it by now. I hope I'm wrong, though.

I, too have always loved ABOVE SUSPICION (it's cheesy but fun) and would love the chance to retire all my old Joan Crawford on VHS.

I Paraphrase:

"I know how this works. Walk into an empty theater, turn around three times, whistle 'Annie Laurie' backwards, and suddenly Boris Karloff falls out of the closet with an apple in his mouth!"

(I think I got that right ;) )

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
I would bet "Goodbye My Fancy" will be in that set - another one that I'll bet they got Vincent Sherman to do a commentary for the same time he did the last batch.

I'm curious to at least watch "Reunion in France" - Joan and the Duke together at last! Fightin' Nazis!

Danny Burk

Second Unit
LETTY LYNTON definitely exists. There is a rights problem preventing screenings, due to a plagiarism suit against MGM in the 30s. It was screened in NYC fairly recently (at MOMA, IIRC). I don't know how they were able to avoid the rights issue; perhaps it doesn't apply to archival museum screenings. WB does own a print as well. It would be a matter of getting the rights issue cleared up before it can be released; given the demand, surely WB could accomplish if they choose to do so.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Thanks Corey. I'm sure I've seen this. It sounds like one that she must have done well--it sounds like the kind of role she would do well, I mean.

Corey

Screenwriter
i highly doubt they would put reunion in france, this woman is dangerous, laughing sinners, or the gorgeous hussy will be in any volumes any time soon since they were such huge flops.

if we based the movies that will be in volume 2 on box office receipts from the 1930's in addition to flamingo road, the set would include:
-flamingo road
-forsaking all others
-love on the run
-chained
-possessed(1931)

Corey

Screenwriter
It sounds like one that she must have done well--it sounds like the kind of role she would do well, I mean.

OMG...she was so good!! it was one of her best performances pre- mildred pierce, but since the movie flopped, mgm did nothing to try to get her an oscar nomination.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
GREAT NEWS about Letty Lynton!! I hadn't heard that it was screened ANYWHERE...how exciting!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks