What's new

JM Labs electra 927Be review (1 Viewer)

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator

Sometimes it works out that way. But now becasue you did that other work, it should, like you said, sound fantastic. Live and learn. At least you got to the good stuff and are satisfied. Some people never get there.
Mike D

DarrylP

Grip
Thanks again Mike.

No question but for perhaps the wrong reasons I've got a brilliant setup!

Darryl

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
As DarrylP put so nicely "staisfaction" That is how I feel with these speakers. I know that these will be with me for a long time and I would have to spend a lot more to get anything better. As long as everybody is satisfied with their set up, it can't be a bad a set up.
Mike D

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

Have you had any experience of the 926s? I have them as my fronts and was intending to add a CC900 or CC901 early next year as funds become available. It seems that while the Electra Be range is limited, the Electra range will be replaced next year. I'm guessing the impressive cabinet work will go but the Be tweeter will remain along with other improvements.

This presents me with a dilema, buy the centre or wait until I can afford to move the 926s to the rear and put in 927s (or maybe 937s!) in the front.

Bascially what I need is an indication of what the 927s do better than the 926s and how big the difference is.

I'm very happy with the 926s, the only area I know could sound better is the midrange. I love female vocals and the best I've ever heard was the Neat Ultimatum MFS. While the 926s sound very good and life-like, the MFS was simply in another league.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Daneel

The main difference is in the mid to high frequencies. Yes I have listened to the 926's. I found them very pleasing. If the 927's were not out I most likely would have bought them. What you get with the 927's is that extension. The music just sounds so much more effortless. There is a difference between the two. That 927 tweeter is just so smooth. Vocals do sound sweet with these speakers. I liked the 926's but I have to tell you, after I heard that tweeter I had to have it. An like I said, I bought them with out even listening to them. Those 6 1/2 inch woofers do put out a nice amount of bass. On another note, the cc-901 is a very good center. Now if you could swing the 937's that would be a no brainer. I am sure they would knock the 926's out with one listen. But like I said there is a sonic difference beteen the two. I have no regrets.

I hope I did not confuse you even more.
Let me know what you desided.
Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Daneel

The main difference is in the mid to high frequencies. Yes I have listened to the 926's. I found them very pleasing. If the 927's were not out I most likely would have bought them. What you get with the 927's is that extension. The music just sounds so much more effortless. There is a difference between the two. That 927 tweeter is just so smooth. Vocals do sound sweet with these speakers. I liked the 926's but I have to tell you, after I heard that tweeter I had to have it. And like I said, I bought them with out even listening to them. Those 6 1/2 inch woofers do put out a nice amount of bass. On another note, the cc-901 is a very good center. Now if you could swing the 937's that would be a no brainer. I am sure they would knock the 926's out with one listen. But like I said there is a sonic difference beteen the two. I have no regrets.

I hope I did not confuse you even more.
Let me know what you desided.
Mike D

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot Mike. I don't have to decide for a while yet, after all the new range isn't out for some time yet. I think I'll hold off the centre for a while and wait for the new range to appear. If I decide I don't feel the new ones are much better I should at least be able to pick up a CC900 or 901 cheap as the discontinued range.

A just came back from Paris where I was hoping to listen to a few JM Lab speakers, unfortunately I didn't come across a single hi-fi shop other than B&W in 3 days of wandering. I should have looked one up on the net before hand but I was rather busy, still it was strange.

There are JM Lab dealers here in the UK, just none that don't require a special trip to visit.

I decided on the 926s after a lot of demoing, in the end it came down to the B&W 703 vs 926. The 703 had slightly better bass but the 926 had smoother highs and were far more natural. This really stood out on live recordings, the 926s put you there whereas with the 703s it was always just a recording.

Although some may feel it's a bad idea, I'm not as concerned about lower bass as I used to be since I got a SVS PC Ultra. I'm crossing the mains with it at 80Hz (I'd prefer 50Hz but I can't set different crossovers on different speakers and the rest need 80Hz). I tried a lot of subs which resulted in poor integration and that was part of the motivation behind moving to floorstanders. The bass from the 926 is very good but I can do little about room response. With the PCU I have a BFD in the chain which means I can EQ the output to be flat to 18Hz. :)

Despite running a surround system my main focus is music, integrating the two has been difficult. I was quite happy with my old B&W 602s3 for movies, but for music I'm far more critical.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Glad I could help a bit. I do agree that the JM speakers sound very natural. I think they sound very good with live music as well. So the PCU is a good fit?. If I want more weight I use my SW900. It blends very well. I have not heard anything about the new Electra series yet. But I am quite satisfied with the 927Be and CC-901 center :D. I was mostly a home theater person, but I have evolved into a 2 channel person as well. Becasue of these speakers I have become critical as well :emoji_thumbsup:.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I will be unable to respond to questions or comments until 10/25/04.
Please, if you want post comments and I will respond as soon as I can.
Thanks Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
On 1/27/05 I got the remastered version of Dire Straits Brothers In arms. Oh man did that sound good. It is most likely the best sounding CD I own. It was crystal clear. The entire range was just incredible. It pulls you into the music. Vocals, horns, drums, bass, guitar; it all sounded so clean. I was really impressed. That is going to be the music I bring when I go listen to CD players. It just brings a smile to face.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Yeah that's a good album I have it on cd and LP. JMLab makes very good speakers and it looks like you're enjoying your 927's. If I didn't like the Kharma Ceramique 3.1's so much the JMLab Diva Utopia would be my next speaker for my 2-channel system.

Cheers!

Nick Bum

Stunt Coordinator
Mike nice to hear that you love your speakers. I too am a JM Lab owner. I have a pair of 906's that rock the hizzouse. If i had the dough 927's would be in my living room with my 906's or maybe a set of 907's as rearsa and a cc 901 as a front. Ahh dreaming...The detail and transparency with any JM lab electra line speaker is amazing

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Scott_N
Yea I do like them. I have heard about Kharma, but I never heard them. They look pretty good. I just can not wait to hear how the 927's sound with a "real" cd player. Because of these I am doing muh more 2 ch listening then I did before. Nothing wrong with that.
Thanks
Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
It just takes time. If you are dedicated you can have any system you want. You just need to have the ability to take your time and do it slowly. It took me about 8 years to get to this point. I am now saving up for a cd player. It may take me 5-6 months but I know it will be worth it.
P.S The 906's are a good speaker. That 901 center kicks butt. If you can swing it, I would get that over the 900.
Mike D

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the TEAC Esoteric dv50 or the Audio Research CD3. Maybe the Unidisk SC by linn. I need to listen to the Esoteric and linn.

Scott_N

Second Unit
Looks like you're willing to spend some money. You might also look at Audio Aero, Wadia and Lector. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.