What's new

JL Audio 300/4 price/review? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Turns out the guy who I am going to buy the XR650CSis from is selling a 300/4 amp. Asked me for a reasonable price.

I don't even know what the MSRP is since their catalog doesn't quote them, they aren't sold on the internet (at least for a reliable quote) and these are used. The only place I saw online has it for $379 but I presume the MSRP would then be much higher local. Obviously I would buy a used item for less... Any suggestions on a reasonable price for the 300/4 given a 1 year age in good shape? Is it a decent amp?

I have agreed to buy a 1 year old XR650 that is in excellent condition for $180 which I thought was a good price considering they're like $379 locally. I did not get a chance to audition the amp. as I wasn't intending to buy one, but if I get the right price, can't really pass it over cause the person is on a MR2 Spyder forum and therefore, it is already to mount in mine, except for the wiring.

Jay

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
$250-300 would be fair for a 300/4
very nice amplifier.

regulated power supply, and regulated output so any load from 1.5-8 Ohms has the same output of (a very conservative rating of) 75 watts RMS per channel. real world output on a scope is closer to about 85WRMS/ch

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks Sean, that's good cause I offered $280 and I'm trying to be reasonable for both the seller and I. I did a quick Ebay search and it seems somebody with a 4 month old 300/4 has one up to $250 right now with 4 days left so I figure a year old for $280 is a fair price (I'm assuming the auction will go up in 4 days). I saw some NIB ones on Ebay going for $360 already...

Jay

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
yeah I forgot to mention that range was based on the condition of the amp.
if its a bit beat up, I'd go low. if its in great shape, no reason to lower the offer.. plus you're not paying shipping I assume, so that makes up the difference there. plus you get to see it hands on instead of relying on faith with ebayers
I've seen a lot of people get ripped off on car audio stuff on ebay sadly.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The amp is in excellent shape, I've seen his install and its very clean looking and he said he's never abused it. I trust the guy, he's been on the MR2 forum for awhile, but he eventually sold his Spyder so now he's getting rid of the stuff he had in it.

I was thinking I needed to get a line level converter for the amp, but checking out JL's PDF file here:

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/300_4.pdf

It appears the 300/4 accepts both an unamplified source and also speaker level outputs from the HU... This would simplify things a bit and make the wiring easier! Is this true or am I reading that PDF wrong?

Jay

Sean^M

Stunt Coordinator
the amp can take high level inputs.. but keep in mind, it won't sound that great.
they never do.

best bet is to use a good head unit with at least 4V line out coltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks