What's new

JFK SE - Triple dip anyone? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I just checked out the news on The Digital Bits about Warner's plans to re-release the JFK SE in November (in time for the 40th anniversary of the assassination) on DVD. According to the posting, the only new feature they're planning to include is the made-for-video documentary "Beyond JFK: The Question of Conspiracy".

Somehow, I can't justify shelling out the bucks once again for this DVD, if all they're including is the documentary as the new feature. The previous release was a solid release altogether, except for the crummy snapper case and the second disc being in that chintzy paper sleeve, whereas the first release was the dreaded flipper. Can we say 2-disc Amaray case, anyone?

Add this title to the already growing list of multi-dipped DVDs on the market. I'm passing on this one.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
That's kind of funny. I bought the JFK Special Edition Laserdisc recently because it included the Beyond JFK documentary.

I wonder if "The Men Who Killed Kennedy" re-release is going to be any different from the current one.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I think I'll pass on this one too. I'm happy with the last release. Maybe I'll rent the new one for the doc though.

Haden

Supporting Actor
How long is this new documentary? If it's from the original laserdisc, then I assume someone out there knows a bit more about it. How good is the doc? I'm having a hard time justifying re-purchase just for this one extra too.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm still getting by on the original non-anamorphic release which I picked up for $5 in 1998. I may be tempted to finally upgrade.

Regards,

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
:angry:

This is going to be hard to pass up, as JFK is one of my favorite movies and I allready have the 2 disc edition.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
The documentary runs about 90-95 minutes in length and includes commentaries from Oliver Stone, Kevin Costner, Kevin Bacon, and other cast members on the making of the film, along with interviews with some of the real-life people involved in the case. Most haunting is the footage from Jim Garrison's final interview on his deathbed just prior to his passing.

I remember when the first VHS release of the 3:30 cut of the film was released on VHS, Warner released the documentary as a companion video.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The doco is for conspiracy buffs. I personally believe Oswald shot Kennedy on his own, but enjoy JFK for the fiction that it is. The doco is a one off watch for me, so there's no need to upgrade.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Only reluctantly do I keep a copy of this movie on my shelf in case at some point in the distant future I do a research piece and need to consult this piece of worthless and phony history telling (the real Garrison was a despicable person who abused prosecutorial power more than any man in US legal history to try and frame an innocent man named Clay Shaw) to make a point in such a research piece. There is no need for me to ever clutter my shelf with another copy unless it has a competing commentary from someone setting the record straight.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Since the SRP is $19.95, it'll most likely be $14.95 regular price, with it being on sale for $12-13 the first week. If this is the case, I'll gladly triple-dip. If not, I'll put it on my Christmas wish list.

Joshua_W

Second Unit
I'll pick this up. Still haven't bought any edition of the movie yet.

Who says procrastination doesn't pay off?

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Passing on this one, the 2nd release suits me fine. Mind you, I freaking hate the packaging on the 2 disc set though. :thumbsdown:

And frankly I just don’t have enough money to incorporate this into my Fall budget for disc's because so much more stuff is coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks