What's new

JFK & Amadeus - Holding Off Purchase Until ... (1 Viewer)

Rob Gilmore

Agent
Much as JFK and Amadeus are among my favorite films, I have decided to hold off on purchasing the blu-ray releases until WB decides to release BOTH the original theatrical cut and the Director's cut together.

I am wondering if others feel the same way as I do.

I often question whether longer versions are better. In my view, the theatrical versions are often better.

The bottom line for me is this: I'll purchase new blu-ray discs of these films, but PLEASE give me the option of watching one or the other versions.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I agree: longer isn't necessarily better. Neither is shorter, although those are the rarer DC's. To me it depends on what's put in or taken out. Also, it's quite possible that the filmmakers never want the theatrical cut seen again after they get their "preferred" version out. In the case of both Amadeus and JFK, I happen to prefer the Director Cuts, but many people don't. I think they both help flesh out important points.

More so in the case of JFK, where some dialogue in the Theatrical Cut makes no sense until you see the DC. For instance, the scene where Costner wakes up Spacek and says Bobby Kennedy's been shot. And she replies, "You were right!" The implication in the TC cut is he was right about the JFK assassination theory, which is all she had doubted him on. But it makes no sense that the killing of Bobby Kennedy would make her change her mind about the unrelated JFK killing. In the DC cut you see him predict Bobby Kennedy's assassination and that's what she is replying to. Now in the DC it makes perfect sense.

Plus, who doesn't love a good airport men's room gay-sex sting...years before Senator Larry Craig allegedly tapped his foot.:laugh:

Alex cosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Theatrical versions should always be included or at least sold separately. They have value no matter what. Besides, if it's worth doing for WHITE CHICKS...

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Warner has done this with Any Given Sunday as well and would love to see the version I saw in the theaters again.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Are you sure that it's Warner and not Oliver Stone? It could be his choice to have the Director's Cuts be the ones of record now.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Quite so. And it should be his right--regardless of whether it "pleases" the consumer. The creator's right to do what he wishes with his creations is NOT beholden to whether it pleases the audience, nor should it be.

It can be annoying. I'm contemplating an academic article on JFK and would dearly like to find a copy of the theatrical cut for my purposes--but I still defend Stone's right to make the "director's cut" the sole available version. It's his creation, not mine. Same goes for any modification at the behest of the creator.

However, absent ANY input from the creator, I am very much opposed to modifications made by committee. That's an entirely different "kettle of fish".

Aragorn the Elfstone

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
While I caved and bought the Blu-ray, I have to admit I'll be holding on to my original 1997 dvd for a while for this very reason. It's not even that the changes in the DC aren't good. In fact they are - but I have fond memories of the original version and it's lighter tone. I'd like a newly remastered version of it, and I'd gladly quadruple dip on this film if that version were released on Blu-ray. :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Yes, the theatrical version has a much lighter tone. Even today, when I'm feeling low, I pop in the theatrical version of JFK and just laugh and laugh and laugh . . .

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Not sure about the theatrical version being (all that much) "lighter tone", but I did finally get around to watching the DC w/ the BD purchase, and personally, I find most of the added stuff to be either a tad indulgent or simply drags on pacing w/out adding much (other than just some ultimately unnecessary details). Really wish they had included the theatrical cut, especially since it could probably easily be done via seamless branching.

The PQ could also use less "processing" (as noted elsewhere), but I did still find it to be a vast improvement over the old DVD (for the most part) on my 61" RPTV from 9-to-10ft away.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks