What's new

Jethro Tull- Grammy winners! (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Most of us know of and/or remember the hilarious outcome of the Grammy award for Best Hard Rock / Heavy Metal Album going to Jethro Tull for Crest of a Knave.

My question: who else was nominated?

NP: Grammy award winning album Crest of a Knave.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
But when is the Super Audio CD due out?
:confused:
Yeah, Metallica was nominated. I remember when they won for Black they thanked Jethro Tull for not releasing and album. :laugh:
As it was '88, Metallica must have been nominated for ...And Justice For All. While musically a phenomenal album, it was a production disaster. Because of that, I could not call it the best album of the year, though it could have been.
Other metal albums released by major artists that year:
Iron Maiden- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. A fantastic album, but I'd be surprised if they got noticed by the Grammys.
AC/DC- Blow Up Your Video. Arguable their worst album.
Aerosmith- Permanent Vacation (1987). A big commercial success for them.
Guns N' Roses- Appetite For Destruction (1987). One of the classics.

Bill_Mis

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that made that whole process so funny was that Metallica was there, in-person and did a number that knocked the crowd dead. They really had the audience in the palm of their hand. When the presenter named all the groups and announced Jethro Tull as the winner, Tull was not present to accept the award and as they were cutting away to commercial the place erupted in boos from the entire gathering. A really uncomfortable feeling for all that were there.

MichaelAW

Second Unit
The funny thing is that Metallica didn't win it next time around, for the Black album, or even for Load (nor Reload) after that. It wasn't until 2000, when they won for "Whiskey in the Jar."
http://www.rockonthenet.com/grammy/hardrock.htm
I tried doing a search for other nominees that year but I couldn't find anything, nor anything on grammy.com.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Just did a quick Google search and found that the nominees were:
Jethro Tull
Metallica
Iggy Pop
Jane's Addiction
AC/DC
I never minded so much that Jethro Tull actually won something, but Metallica were probably the deserving group that year (considering what the Grammies think is rock, Crest Of A Knave was definitely "hard" in comparison). At the time they were one of the few bands able to crack the charts with no video support and then when they released their first video of "One", it really was quite the thing...

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Of course Metallica was nominated in '88 for And Justice For All.... That was the album that got Metallica noticed by a lot of people who knew nothing about metal. I went to a Metallica concert in March of '88 at The Spectrum in Philly when they were on the Justice tour. This was shortly after Tull had won the Grammy. I still remember two kids down on the floor in the Spectrum (in the "mosh pit") running through the crowd before the start of the concert with a sign that read, "Death to Jethro Tull". That got quite a favorable reaction from the crowd. It was great. :)
By the way, Queensryche opened for Metallica that night. Queensryche was on their Operation Mindcrime tour. That was quite an opener. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks