Jet Li's "The One" = Matrix (part deux)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy LaMont, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

This topic was briefly covered in another thread about The Matrix: Reloaded, but I just had the opportunity to view the trailer and I'll be damned if it didn't look like the Matrix.
    The title in itself, the concept of traveling to parallel universes via a transport, the effects (bullet time), some of the special effects, etc.
    Don't get me wrong, it look fabu and it's definitely a must view, but I can see now why Li turned down The Matrix: Reloaded...he was already working on it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anyone else?
    Troy
    ------------------
    No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I dunno, reminds me more of a big-budget "Highlander" movie...
    ------------------
    "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

3. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

Actaully. " The One" was originally going to star the Rock, but he passed to do the "Mummy Returns" and the "Scorpion King".

4. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

i downloaded this the other day, and as my friend and i was watching it, he replied, 'what is this? time cop 2?
    i got a laugh out of that.
    ------------------

5. Gabriel Martin

Gabriel Martin Auditioning

Anyone else think Jet Li is a bad actor or it's just his accent, or both ???
    This film duplicated The Matrix, it's unbelievable... Jet Li doesn't have to dodge bullet either, he just uses his gun. I wonder why Neo and the rest of the gang didn't think about that...
    ------------------
    G a B
    "Yes my real name is Gabriel Martin and no, I don't like The Patriot"
    My DVD Collection

6. AJ Johnson

AJ Johnson Stunt Coordinator

7. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

I would also give props to Jet for tackling English for only three years. I also wouldn't judge him on his acting merits based on the lousy scripts that he has been given over here. He is mostly a physical actor, but he had some nice romantic and meaningful moments in the Once Upon a Time in China films. I compare him and Jackie Chan (not a good actor, but best at physical comedy...well, used to be) to the likes of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. Fred was definitely the more refined and suave and when Jet is in a movie that matches his talents, his is a smooth and graceful form of martial arts. Jackie, like Kelly, is a more outgoing and athletic form of movement. And like those two dancers, acting wasn't their first calling. I am there for Jet...I just wish writers and producers were.
    Oh, and yeah The One looked like a cross between that darn Van Damme movie, that other darn Van Damme movie and The Matrix (well, if it starred Van Damme, that is).
    Phil

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  9. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

I think the trailer looks great. The movie also looks good; I consider what I know of it to be the best premise for a great, balls-to-the-wall action movie I've seen in years, easily. The SF angle is cool with me, and will give us many opportunities to see JetLi vs JetLi action, plus killer FX. What more could an action fan want?
    Okay okay, here's some popcorn. And we'll turn the bass up some more. Now sit there and have fun with the movie. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -----
    [​IMG]
    Dave's World
    -No matter where you go, there you are-

10. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

What was that Van Damme movie where he fought his twin brother? The trailer made me think of that film. And that's not a good thing!! I love Jet Li, especially his Hong Kong stuff. I'm sure I'll see this movie because of him, but I won't be seeing it for the story. It looks like a movie made for the Sci-Fi channel with a bigger budget.
    I can't believe he turned down The Matrix 2 to do this.
    ------------------
    "You know, there's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they
    don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you." - Silent Bob
    "No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Bonzai
    Optimus Prime Films