Jesus of Nazareth 30th Anniversary

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ScottR, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Well, this month marks the 30th anniversary of a true masterpiece. And yet, no word on a new restoration and reissue. The film should be presented in the four-part expanded edition from the 1979 re-broadcast, including opening/closing credits and teasers/previews for all four parts. The Dutch R2 edition runs 399 with PAL speedup. That's a bit longer than the current R1 382 min. version. Also, the current R1 version has a bad splice in the scene where Jesus first visits the temple on Palm Sunday...the version on the History Channel (derived from the four-part version) doesn't have this missing frame. We want a new edition!!!!

2. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

I bought the steelcase 2-disc R2 a month ago
    seems to be the full unedited edition..

[​IMG]

3. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
  4. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for acknowledging this mini-series. It is a great view and for anyone wanting to learn about Christianity, this is required viewing accompanied by the New Testament, of course.

Question - does anyone know what scenes were edited to the shorter 362 minute version? If someone could respond quickly on this one cuz I had ordered this DVD on Amazon earlier this week and I think I may have the shorter version.

Thanks

5. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    The amazon.uk reviews mention what was cut.

6. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. Guess I'm cancelling my order. I'll wait for a complete edition. In the meantime, there's some even more complete to go thru - The Bible. Get out my reading glasses.

Ciao and thanks

7. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I found stills of two missing scenes on jesuscrucifix.com. One is the temptation in the desert and the other is a shocking, gory shot of John the Baptist's head on a platter being given to Salome. I remember someone years ago saying that they saw the scene. There is a 399 min. R2 Dutch version that is in PAL. That might contain these scenes. I would love to see them!

8. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

9. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Oh, sorry. The home page is actually mis-spelled...it's jesucrucifix.com. Sorry about that!

10. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    The head on the platter is in there (some of the versions), I'm pretty sure, or my mind is playing tricks on me...

11. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I've never seen it in the U.S. I have a rebroadcast from NBC that I taped in 1990. I believe this is the last time it aired on broadcast television (before going to cable.) It's not in that version, not on the commercial vhs version, not on the R1 version. It may be in the R2 Dutch version I cited. In the U.S. versions, the guards come down to John and there is a loud sound, and it cuts to his burial.

12. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    WoW! I just stumbled on this thread. By far, the greatest
    story of Christ ever made! Never has anyone played Jesus so
    convincingly than Robert Powell. Extremely haunting!

This does need a proper re-release.

13. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    I agree, it doesn't get any better than this. Btw, there's an interview with Powell rumored to be on the ITV release, but I haven't seen the DVD so I can't say for certain if it's actually there.

14. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I saw a documentary yesterday on the History Channel about all of the screen portrayals of Jesus, and there was a brief interview with Robert Powell and Michael York. They both look great.

15. Demis G

Demis G Second Unit

Henry, no interview on the ITV dvd.. just the 4 episodes

16. Joe*A

Joe*A Stunt Coordinator

Who do we need to talk to in order to get this incredible adaptation of the Gospels re-released on DVD with all the restored footage back in?

17. Guest

Still no word on this. It would be great to have on Blu-Ray with all scenes, credits, and promos restored. Franco is still with us, along with some of the major players. I wish Criterion could get a hold of this.

18. drrichardh

drrichardh Auditioning

Curious bit of "trivia" regarding Jesus of Nazareth the mini series. Check the writing credits and you'll discover the name Anthony Burgess. That's the same person who wrote "A Clockwork Orange".

19. Guest

He did a marvelous job. This film is a masterpiece.

20. Glenn Curtis

Glenn Curtis Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone seen the ITV DVD that was released on 11 April 2011?

It is supposedly uncut but just to confuse matters on Amazon, all the releases seem to show the same comments so it is difficult to work out what refers to what.

There is a review from 5 April saying it is not complete but as that is dated before the actual DVD release date I am not sure which version it relates to.