What's new

Jess Franco - the 1980s films coming to DVD (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Good news for Jess Franco fans, and fans of ultra-obscure cinema.

Severin-Film's Jess Franco collection will include a number of the infamous director's little known 1980s productions, beginning with Macumba Sexual (1983) and Mansion of the Living Dead (1985) on October 31st - restored from original negatives in the original 2.35:1 aspect ratio and with exlusive new interviews with Franco and Lina Romay.

More information and cover-art here: http://mondo-esoterica.net/upcoming%...%20Franco.html

Or see the official website: http://www.severin-films.com

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Streeting on Tuesday (31/Oct) on a great looking pair of DVDs, this duo of Franco's Golden era films makes for very interesting viewing - my reviews now up:

Macumba Sexual (1981)
Strange, surreal, twisted and sexually charged - Franco at his best here in a very effective film. Highly recommended to Franco fans.

Mansion of the Living Dead (1982)
An interesting film that boasts a mix of strong direction and atmosphere, with some rather unnecessary humour and sex. Of interest to Franco fans but not for newcomers.

(note: reviews and films contain much nudity)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Actually, Golden Era refers to the fact that he was working for a film company called "Golden Films International".

Personally I think his true "Golden Age" was back in the late 1960s/early 1970s working for Harry Alan Towers.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
My copies arrived in the mail today so hopefully I'll get to them a tad bit later. I've enjoyed several of Franco's early 80s films and I hope more get released. As for his best period, I'll take 1969-75.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Macumba Sexual was quite a revelation; Severin did a very nice job on it, and it's one of the more evocative Franco pictures I've seen.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I wonder why they aren't using the original title (EMANUELLE EXPOSED)????

Having just watched my 84th Franco film (with 8 more sitting here), I'll pick these two up but they'll probably be rentals since I wasn't too pleased with the first two releases (great disc, poor films IMO).

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I'd really like to see an uncut release of Franco's Bloody Moon.

I know it's trashy, but very enjoyable all the same! Great keyboard-demo style disco soundtrack too...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks