What's new

Jerry Lewis on DVD - NEW UPDATE 7/11 (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I hope I don't have to go through another year without seeing any of Lewis' Paramount films on DVD.

John KB

Second Unit
Now that we're going to see 9 Jerry Lewis films on DVD this fall, (The Bellboy, Cinderfella, The Delicate Delinquent, The Disorderly Orderly, The Errand Boy, The Patsy, The Stooge, The Family Jewels, The Ladies' Man), does anyone have any info on the 10th DVD....The special editon of The Nutty Professor? I'd love to hear what the extras are, how about a commentary? That would be amazing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's my hope for those of us that want
to own every Jerry film that Paramount
is initially offering that there will
be a discounted boxed set of ALL the titles.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
If they are dealing with Jerry, there might be some real treats on the Professor release. Jerry had some great color 16mm home movies taken on the set, as well as several reels of very funny outtakes.

There were also several deleted scenes, including an outrageous one where Kelp becomes ten feet tall after drinking the potion!

Bob

John KB

Second Unit
Bob, I've never seen any of that stuff. Sounds great! Where did you have the opportunity of seeing that?

Hope at least some of it is on the special edition.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I used to work for Mr. Lewis. I transferred all of that film material to tape, and they might have used some of it on the A&E Biography, or the 5 part Disney series on his career.

There is hours of behind the scenes material on THE LADIES' MAN, including great stuff on the building of the set, and Jerry cracking up Helen Traubel between takes. Loads of deleted scenes as well.

Bob

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We've got cover art and details of the October 12th release of The Nutty Professor:

Paramount will also be releasing the original 1963 The Nutty Professor as part of their Special Collector's Edition range on October 12th.

Extras include an audio commentary with Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence; The Nutty Professor: Perfecting Tthe Formula featurette; Jerry Lewis At Work featurette; deleted scenes (Chopsticks Routine, Kelp Dreams Of What His Formula Will Do, Kelp Mistakes Kid For Bowling Ball, Buddy Love Takes Requests, Gary Lewis Cameo, Stella's Sultry Entrance); Bloopers (Kelp As A Baby, Stella Plays Gag, Kelp Walks Down Hall, Dr. Warfield Does Shakespeare, Kelp Walks into Gym, Jerry Lewis Directs Stella Stevens, Stella Walks into the Purple Pit, Towel Gag, Make-Out Spot, Dell Moore with Black Teeth Gag, Kelp Vis); promos; Jerry At Movieland Wax Museum (with optional audio commentary from son Chris Lewis); test footage; other footage; and the theatrical trailer.

The SRP will be $19.99.
Full article here.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
We have just received details of the other Jerry Lewis movies due for release on October 12th:

The Bell Boy
Street Date: October 12, 2004

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Alex Gerry, Bob Clayton, Sonnie Sands
Genre: Comedy
Synopsis: Stanley is a bellboy at the Fountainbleau Hotel in Miami Beach. It is there that he performs his duties quietly and without a word to anyone. All that he displays are facial expressions and a comedic slapstick style. And anything that can go wrong - does go wrong when Stanley is involved. Then one day, Jerry Lewis, big star, arrives at the hotel and some of the staff notice the striking resemblance. Stanley continues to do what he was hired to do while star Lewis has more trouble with his entourage than the hotel accommodations.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: by Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence
Additional Scenes: Rehearsals (Jerry and Walter Winchell, Telephone Gang, Jerry's Nightclub Act)
Deleted Scenes (Bill Richman as Stan Laurel, Too Many Bags, A Star Arrives)
Bloopers: Miton Berle
Other: Jerry Receives a Letter from Stan Laurel, Promo Spots, Theatrical Trailer, Bell Boy Bus Tour with commentary by son Chris Lewis

Runtime: 71 Min.
Rating: Not Rated

The Errand Boy

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Brian Donlevy, Howard McNear, Dick Wesson
Director: Jerry Lewis
Synopsis: Paramutual Pictures wants to know where all the money is going so they hire Morty to be their spy. Morty works for Mr. Sneak and gets a job in the mail room so that he can have access to the lot. But all that Morty ever finds is that he can cause havoc no matter what he does.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: Select Scene Commentary by Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence
Bloopers: Jerry With Puppet, Jerry Throws Script (commentary by son Chris Lewis), Elevator Gag, Del Moore at Hollywood Premiere
Other: Promo Spots, Theatrical Trailer

Runtime: 92 min.

Cinderfella

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Ed Wynn, Judith Anderson, Henry Silva
Director: Frank Tashlin
Synopsis: The Cinderella story in form of a farce and with a guy in the leading role: Fowler is a clumsy simpleton, who has to care for his stepmother and her two stuck-up sons Maximilian and Rupert. Only in the realms of fantasy he can find comfort. One day a good spirit appears to him and helps him to win the heart of the beautiful princess Charmant.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: by Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence
Bloopers: 5 bloopers

Runtime: 87 min.
# of Discs: 1
Tech Info: Widescreen

The Disorderly Orderly

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Glenda Farrell, Everett Sloane, Karen Sharpe
Director: Frank Tashlin
Synopsis: Jerry Lewis is the mad medicine man. Before he flunks out of med school, he'll have you in stitches. Even if you don't bust a gut when he sets a patient's hair on fire, you could die laughing during the high-speed ambulance chase. Is there a doctor in the house? You bet there is, and his name is Jerry!

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Bloopers: Black Teeth Gag, Jerry Grapples With Unwieldy Laundry, Jerry Kids Around While Shooting Laundry Cart Scene, Jerry Pushes Man in Wheel Chair
Other: Theatrical Trailer

Runtime: 89 min.

The Ladies Man

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Helen Traubel, Kathleen Freeman, Pat Stanley
Synopsis: Step aside, all you fabled Romeos! Make way for Herbert H. Herbert, The Ladies Man. And make way for laugh upon laugh, too, because starring as Hubert H. is His Knuckleheadedness himself-zany Jerry Lewis. Herbert is a confined bachelor and antic bumbler who'd make coffee nervous. And he's just found a new job that'll make you howl. He's a houseboy of an all-female boarding house. Look for George Raft and Big Band legend Harry James in small roles. There's an inanimate star, too: the film's acclaimed main set must be seen to be believed!

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: by Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence Additional Scenes: Helen Sings Opera, Jerry Rains Confetti on Gilrs
Bloopers: Jerry Asks Helen About Opera, Jerry Demonstrates High Chair
Other: MDA Public Service Announcement, Construction of the Ladies Man Set, Dance Rehearsal, Auditions (Pat Stanley, Sylvia Lewis), Theatrical Trailer, Teaser Trailer

Runtime: 90 Min.

Family Jewels

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis
Synopsis: All hail his "Royal Highness of Hilarity," Jerry Lewis! And Jerry Lewis, and Jerry Lewis, and Jerry Lewis... in fact all seven of him! When a poor little rich girl is suddenly orphaned, a six-pack of her wacky uncles suddenly comes out of the woodwork, all desperate to take her in. Along with her $30 million inheritance! The "King of Crazy" is at his most regal playing seven kooky characters, from a crazy clown to a high-flying airplane pilot, to a bumbling thug called "Bugs" -- all down on their luck and out for a buck -- in this sparkling comic gem!

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: By Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence Bloopers: Jerry Hops Over Fence, Jerry Commandeers Truck
Other: Theatrical Trailer, Screen Tests- Donna Butterworth, Bugs Payton

Runtime: 99 min.

The Delicate Delinquent

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Darren McGavin, Martha Hyer
Director: Don McGuire
Synopsis: The Dean Martin - Jerry Lewis comedy team may have called it quits, but that didn't mean the laughs were over. Jerry's first film without longtime partner Dino makes a hilarious case for law enfarcement! The nutty one stars as The Delicate Delinquent, a bumbling janitor who pals around with the switchblade set but decides to become a cop. Darren McGavin (A Christmas Story) co-stars as one of New York's finest in this terrific blend of zaniness and social comment that's one of Jerry Lewis' finest.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Theatrical Trailer

Runtime: 100 min.

The Patsy

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Ina Balin, Everett Sloan, Phil Harris, Keenan Wynn
Synopsis: When a star comedian dies, his comedy team, decides to train a nobody to fill the shoes of the Star in a big TV show (a Patsy). But the man they choose, bellboy Stanley Belt, cant do anything right. The big TV show is getting closer, and Stanley gets worse all the time.

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:
Commentary: Select Scene Commentary by Jerry Lewis and Steve Lawrence
Additional Scenes: Deleted Scene- Ina Balin Talks to the Group as a Family Bloopers: Jerry with Pianist, Everett Sloane and Phil Harris Joke by Elevator, Firing Squad, Meeting with A&R Man, A&R Man Flubs Line, Diving Suit Gag, Ina Balin Flubs Line, Black Teeth Gag, Gary Lewis Ad Libs
Other: Theatrical Trailer

The Stooge

MOVIE DETAILS:
Star Power: Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Polly Bergen, Marion Marshall
Director: Norman Taurog
Synopsis: Money isn't everything and Bill Miller is the guy who keeps proving it. He's carved out a modest niche as a singer in the off-off-vaudeville circuit. But suddenly his act is big news. Well not just his act. He's now teamed with a manic comic. Yet Bill can't admit that the reason for his success is The Stooge. One sings, one clowns...sounds like anyone you know? Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis bring their straightman-funnyman act to this show biz story set in the 1930s. Songs include "Who's Your Little Whozis?" and comedy moments include just about any time Lewis is on screen. Don't miss the fun when he turns Dino's "Just One More Chance" into a zany production number of rising curtains, falling sandbags and a flying comic-on-a-rope. You'll be glad to give it more than one chance!

PRODUCT INFO:
DVD Features:

Tech Info: Fullscreen
You can see the full article, including large shots of the cover art here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow!

I thought Paramount would release barebone
DVDs of the Lewis films. I am so extraordinarily
happy that there is actually so much extra
material being included here. I can see why
Paramount dragged their feet on these releases
until they received full cooperation from Mr. Lewis.

Bravo Paramount!

StevenFC

Second Unit
Wow is right, Ron.

That is so much more than I expected. I figured a trailer and maybe a featurette would be on the discs and nothing else. I never expected Mr. Lewis would be so involved in the production of these DVDs. I'm an so happy that he took the time to be involved. I just figured he was done with that part of his life and would never be caught dead being involved with something that was greatly responsible for the physical pain that he has suffered through for so many years.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. He is someone that takes his work very seriously. I imagine he wanted to see his work given the best possible treatment. Plus I don't doubt that he has an itch to get more involved with "the business" now that his health has improved and he is able to devote more time to his career rather than the condition of his health.

I fully expect to see the rest of his films-both his solo and Martin & Lewis-on DVD within the next year or so. Let's hope these sell well to help insure that.

Thank you Mr. Lewis. I hope you make a boatload of money on these DVDs as thanks for making me laugh for so many years.

William Miller

Second Unit
Let me start by saying that I am one of the biggest Jerry fans on the planet.

I have been an admirer for many, many years.

I own all of his movies in one format or another.

I am thrilled that finally we are getting a big batch of Jerry on DVD.

I am extra thrilled that he has chosen to do commentary tracks.

But I must give out a note of caution:

I have seen Jerry interviewed numerous times through the years and he is very prone to gross exaggeration and ladles out much misinformation and incorrect facts. If this trend continues in the forthcoming commentaries, they should be labeled "for entertainment purposes only".

And why is Steve Lawrence on these commentaries? Is that the singer Steve Lawrence? Is he a Jerry expert?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
And why is Steve Lawrence on these commentaries? Is that the singer Steve Lawrence? Is he a Jerry expert?
I am wondering the same thing. I checked IMDB and there are several by that name but none of the others (or the singer for that matter) appear to have Lewis connections.

I always associated the singer with Sinatra more than anybody.

I agree with you by the way regarding Jerry's penchant for exaggeration and self promotion. I take nothing away from his talent, but he is his own biggest fan (and that's putting it mildly).

Steve

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I would like to see a dvd release of the controversial The Day The Clown Cried.
It may be a terrible and offensive film but we should at least be able to see it.

-Mike

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I don't know if Steve Lawrence is a singer, but he's Jerry Lewis's neighbor.

There was an article (even mentioned in a thread here on HTF) about Lewis in which he said that he was set to record commentaries for his movies together with his neighbor.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Steve Lawrence is indeed a singer and is mostly associated with his singer wife, Eydie Gormé more then Sinatra (whom the pair toured with for a while and were close friends). Steve has a great sense of humor and comic timing and I suppose he's there as a foil to Jerry on the commentary track. However, if Steve is not a friend I feel for him having to sit through these movies! (just kidding) :D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Lewis & Lawrence should make an interesting pair. I've always admired Steve Lawrence because he appears to be one of the truly "nice guys" in the business. He is also very laid back in contrast to the hyperactive Lewis. One wonders how he will be able to get a word in edgewise :)

Steve

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Steve will be playing "Dean" to Jerry I guess. "The Day The Clown Cried" cannot be released because Jerry doesn't own the film. There were money problems when it was made and the backers took control. I'm not sure it is even fully edited.

John KB

Second Unit
This is absolutely amazing news!!!!!! I am so incredibly excited! I too thought they were going to be bare bones dvds.
I'm surprised that there isn't an entire Martin & Lewis set with commentaries first, since Jerry has so much to say about Dean Martin. I'd love to hear commentaries on those movies. But I'll take these for now! Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks