What's new

Jerry Beck on Stu's Show: Tommorrow at 4 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Warner apparently can't justify restoring 60 cartoons a year anymore (so why not release smaller collections of new-to-DVD's?)
Tom and Jerry Golden Collection V.2 has been moved to 2013.
Two more Super Stars collections; one will be Chuck Jones mice (Sniffles, Hubie and Bertie, etc.)
Platinum Collection got a DVD release due to fan outcry; Going forward all future Platinum Collections will be simultaneously released on DVD and Blu-Ray.
Makeup of Platinum Collection V.2 will be split roughly 50-50 between new cartoons and double dips; Hare-Um Scare-Um and A Horsefly Fleas will be among new-to-disc cartoons.
Censored 11 still on table; no date set.
Jerry Beck will be inspecting nitrate negative on Popeye and the Pirates soon (Jerry abruptly cuts off talk on it; It sounds like they're going to resume Popeye).
Collections still planned for Warner Archive; George Feltenstein has almost entirely redirected his attention from retail to WAC.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I would like to see a single disk collection of the best Merrie Melodies musical cartoons. Many of the best ones (like Bingo Crosbyana) were spread out as bonus features over the Astaire/Rogers disks. Others, like I Love to Singa have been released in the Golden Collection series (and now Plantinum series). Others may be unreleased. A single disk that put many of them together would be very nice.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Thank you, Kevin.
Wow, what a mixed bag of good and bad-sounding news. The outcry on the Platinum set is quite surprising; would've thought the serious collectors would already have those films in SD on the Golden Collections. It's good to see DVD is still an in-demand format for classic cartoons though.
The worst news is Feltenstein's redirection; he's been a champion of quality releases for so long and I hoped he'd keep things going at least on the cartoon end. Hopefully WAC work will be profitable enough for best sellers to see pressed releases, animated or otherwise.
Kevin Martinez said:
Warner apparently can't justify restoring 60 cartoons a year anymore (so why not release smaller collections of new-to-DVD's?)
That's what I've been wondering for years now. I'm happy the Platinums are doing well enough (for the time being) to restore many more films for the series, but there's no way serious collectors are going to pick up those new films in exchange for 50% double dips. Especially when that HD-targeted series has an even lesser chance of finishing the catalog than the collector-targeted Goldens.

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
Traveling Matt said:
There's no way serious collectors are going to pick up those new films in exchange for 50% double dips.
Quoted for truth! I loyally bought all the Golden Collections as soon as they were released, and even continued to buy the single discs that contained all new-to-DVD shorts. But now that they've combined the double-dips and new-to-DVD releases, I am out. I refuse to double-dip. Period. Which is rather unfortunate, because I was perfectly willing to keep paying for their overpriced releases if it meant getting all the shorts, so it's a loss on both sides...

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I purchased all of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections, too. I also purchased the first two Super Stars releases which contained no double dips, but included cropped versions of some of the cartoons. Then, the blu ray was announced with virtually all double dips. That did it for me.

At one time, these Looney Tunes Golden Collections releases were the cream of the crop for vintage animation fans. Although I would have expected a true collection of these cartoons to have been released chronologically, at least we were getting the restored cartoons. There was also the Spotlight Collections for the more casual fan.

When the Golden Collections line came to an end, everyone wondered what would follow. Now we know and, unfortunately, it has not been good news.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
anyone out there that listen to Jerry beck could shed some light on what is happening with HB releases? It has been a few years since there was Home Theatre chat with HB and i am curious what is going on with the releases.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck returned to Stu's show tonight. Courtesy of Leviathan at the IAD forum, here is some of the bigger news for classic animation:
  • Jerry is co-hosting a day of animation on TCM with Robert Osborne on October 21st. Paramount recently restored "Mr. Bug Goes to Town" and "Gulliver's Travels," which are being presented that evening. Jerry has ideas for animation on TCM that may be implemented in the future.
  • The infamous Censored Eleven have been restored. A DVD set was intended for announcement at Comic-Con.
  • The Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 2 bonus material will mostly be replicated from the Golden Collections; bonus cartoons won't be restored.
  • There will be more Looney Tunes Super Stars in November.
  • The Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2 is coming next year.
  • Warner is likely waiting for Sony to greenlight their Popeye movie before they finish restoration on those cartoons.
  • There are preliminary plans for Tex Avery on disc.
  • The UPA Jolly Frolics set was very successful; as such, the upcoming Mr. Magoo set was delayed so Sony can better restore the cartoons. TCM is discussing plans for the rest of the Sony-owned animation titles.
  • There will be a special Woody Woodpecker set for Universal's 100th anniversary.
More info about the TCM event can be found here: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/events/october-21st-classic-animation-on-tcm.html

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
Jerry answered my question about Olive Films handling the Betty Boops; he's pretty pessisimistic about the whole thing and apparently isn't involved.
But if Scott Peck was right and the cartoons will be remastered by them in HD, we shouldn't have too much to worry about (except the PD issue they're oddly stubborn about).

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for that Matt - glad to hear that the UPA set was (rightly) successful for Sony.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Mike*HTF /t/288885/jerry-beck-on-stus-show-tommorrow-at-4/90#post_3960221
Thanks for that Matt - glad to hear that the UPA set was (rightly) successful for Sony.

Agree completely. I missed the UPA set announcement and stumbled upon it looking up the last Columbia Film Noir collection on the TCM site. It's one of my favourites now, incredibly impressive stuff.

Thanks too for the update. I love/hate the Loony Toons releases. I want to get them all, so I'm double dipping between the Golden Collections, the Platinum blurays and the Superstars whatever they're called. I'm hoping between all of it I'll eventually get a full set of Loony Toon cartoons from Warners. I'm not happy about the shift to the Archives though. I understand it based on the market, but not being in America means I pay out the ass for them and get none of the bargains via sales and what not.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck returned to Stu's show last night. Courtesy of the IAD forum, here is some of the bigger news for classic animation DVDs:

1. Looney Tunes Platinum 3 is the last volume of the Blu-ray series.2. Warner will not sublicense the Looney Tunes to Shout (or anyone presumably).3. Beck and George Feltenstein are working to make a Tex Avery set happen.4. Beck is also set to work with the Warner Archive on future projects (content unknown).5. The color Popeyes are still planned to be released when the new CG movie hits theaters next year (!)

More news gathered from the show can be found here: http://www.intanibase.com/forum/index.php?topic=1798.0

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Warner Brothers released the Tex Avery set on DVD in France years ago. Is the same person in the legal department who has been holding up the Tom & Jerry cartoons also preventing the Tex Avery set from being released? And the Censored 11 set that was ready for release years ago?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Timothy E said:
Warner Brothers released the Tex Avery set on DVD in France years ago. Is the same person in the legal department who has been holding up the Tom & Jerry cartoons also preventing the Tex Avery set from being released? And the Censored 11 set that was ready for release years ago?
My understanding is that Avery consistently depicted wolves in a stereotypical and less than flattering light.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
The lack of Warner Archive news is the most disheartening of all. That's where all of the catalog titles are going nowadays, and Jerry makes it sound like any Archive classic cartoon release is years off from happening (if they eve happen at all).

If this is the end of the line for classic cartoons on DVD, where do we go from here? Warner's treatment of them on streaming and iTunes has been pathetic. Without any long-term game plan, are we collectors just doomed to get hosed from here on out?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks again Matt for the update--what a drop in activity from what was announced during the 2012 program.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am not that surprised by any of this, although it is disappointing. When the LT Golden Collections ended with only 6 out of the originally planned 10 releases completed, that was the beginning of the end. Now the Platinum Collections are going to stop after the third release. How predictable. I, for one, am not interested in rebuying a certain set of LTs on every format that comes along.
Then you have the T&J Golden Collections, and the PC police butt in, and there goes another set of toons that cannot be completed.
The censored 11 are still . . . censored.
Popeye is supposed to come out, but I don't put much stock in future releases, just based on what has happened before with the LTs and T&Js. At least we have the Fleischer's output.
It is amazing and unfortunate that cartoons as popular as the LTs, T&Js and Popeye are somehow so difficult to release.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I purchased his show for $1 this evening and listened to it. Very little was said in the 2 hour program. Stu has been saying for years, dvd is dead dvd is dead and we still today have a multi billion dollar market for home video physical media. He also kept saying that he didn't want the show to sound like a repeat when folks were asking about releases coming up. By the time the show was over it was sounding like a broken record.Many of the listeners of this show are collectors of media and there was also very little or actually no discussion of DigitalHD or iTunes (download or electronic sell thru). Just some rental netflix speculation).I was disappointed as I have been recently when animation is discussed on this radio program. Many of us tune in or even purchase this episode to hear about new releases and other news but we got very little discussion this time around.I wont be purchasing this radio program again in the future when animation is discussed, not worth the $$.

Users who are viewing this thread