What's new

Jeremiah Season 1 - someone tell me that they're NOT THIS STUPID? (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Why such outrage when a 16x9 show is MARed to 4x3, yet little to no outrage when a 4x3 show is MARed to 16x9?
Well, gosh, maybe because we're all hypocrites? Or maybe because different shows have different fans?

What shows were you thinking about anyway? Babylon 5? Shot with widescreen in mind according to JMS. Angel season 2? Whedon says w/s is OAR. Buffy season 3+? Plenty of debate, and some outrage from both sides of the pond. Any other series?

Back to Jeremiah. I didn't like season one. But I kept watching, because I love to hate JMS's writing. Season two was a great improvement. I'd buy season 2 but not season 1 on DVD. But only in w/s. I've seen both versions of several episodes and it's clear to me which one has the better composition.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
I think they should do a Rising Stars series.
That is probably almost impossible to do at this point. The feature film project is in limbo and it is unlikely that a TV series could be commissioned until those rights expire. Besides, after all of the reports about how bad the script was for the film (like a huge fight sequence at the end with Specials swinging trees at each other), I don't think I want anyone touching those stories.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...g&article=1670
(scroll down to "Rise and Fall")

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
All I can say about the sampler/bonus disc is that my Costco-bought copy of SG-1 had one.

I don't have contact info for MGM handy, but head to The Digital Bits and on the left look for "Surf the links". You should find studio contact info in there.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What shows were you thinking about anyway?
Kung Fu and E.R. are two examples. It wasn't a rant specifically about Jeremiah fans, just a retorical question posted to HTF in general. Some people won't buy Jeremiah because it's 4x3, but would buy Kung Fu in 16x9. You may not fall into that group, and so the question would not apply.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just saw the advertisement for the DVDs on the Sci-Fi channel...and the whole time it's showing parts of the eps, in widescreen. Talk about misleading.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Kung Fu and E.R. are two examples.
I don't follow those series... but if they're being MARed to w/s that's an absolute disgrace. Now that I think of it, I seem to remember that the classic series The Sweeney was also released in a faux widescreen version in R2 land. It didn't go down well at all, and now I hear they're re-releasing it properly in 4x3. The Red Dwarf series was "remastered" at one point on VHS with bad CGI, half the vertical resolution, and 14x9 matting. I didn't buy those either. Thank Goodness others hated them too, and now the DVDs contain the original versions.

I'm simply gobsmacked that Showtime are releasing Jeremiah - a futuristic sci-fi series no less - in cropped 4x3. Maybe they're thinking ahead to sales of HD-DVD. At least, I hope there's a silver lining there somewhere.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
16:9 or 4:3, this is a great series. I've bought the set, sight unseen. I had read the comic it is based upon, the writer of Jeremiah is from these parts. The show is completely different, but good in its own way.

How is this show doing at the moment? Is it canceled? I can't seem to find any conclusive information.

(Btw, didn't take Perry long before he threw Priestly a bone. What was that, episode 3?)

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I'm allmost through and I'm sure this show was made for 16:9. There's a lot of signs to be read and none of them fit 4:3. Damn shame.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The show was shot in widescreen because they did show it in widescreen on Showtime at strange times at night wether it was officially done that way or not.

As for the show itself. The first half of season 2 aired in the US, but the rest of the season is supposed to be shown sometime this summer. I know a few other places have already seen all of it.

JMS has left Jeremiah as he was having huge problems with MGM about the direction on the show. he wanted to do it the way he has been, and they wanted him to spice it up with all the normal crap they do to boost ratings. The show can continue with a new writer but unless its someone really good i think the show will end. Its a shame as i really love the show and the addition of Sean Astin in season 2 was excellent

capt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks