What's new

Jedi Knight III on the way for fall (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
You've played KOTOR to determine that this game will be better? I just can't see how one can determine that one game 6 months away will be something better than a game that is still three months away.

Either way, I'll be buying both. :)

-Dean-

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You've played KOTOR to determine that this game will be better? I just can't see how one can determine that one game 6 months away will be something better than a game that is still three months away.
Easy

Does the game (KOTOR) play like Jedi Knight 2? Nope, it doesn't. Therefore it's just not as good as it could be IMO. Great RPG elements combined with JK2=godlike Star Wars gaming

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
No offense, Jeff, but that's the most ridiculous logic jump I've ever heard.

Just because KOTOR doesn't live up to your expectations, with you having not even played it, doesn't exactly make it any less of a game quality-wise. Especially since we don't actually know the quality of KOTOR yet. Or JK3 for that matter.

Interesting product announcement, but I think perhaps a bit much on the hyperbole?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
...No, there has been plenty of video of the combat system

It does not have the engine of Jedi Knight 2, it's some hybrid "real-time" turn based system. Therefore, the game is not all it could be IMO. Romier and I have argued long and hard, I find the title lacking and will only pick it up when it hits sub-$20 because of this

However, JK3 seems to be bringing in RPG elements (if the article is correct) and it'll be a much better game in the end

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I think you may be rushing to judgement too soon here. SW:KOTR is meant to be a true RPG set in a Star Wars universe, and not a hack-and-slash lightsaber fest that JK2 was.

The appeal of SW:KOTOR doesn't apply only in combat - it's in the true RPG elements - choices that affect gameplay and story, character alignment, NPC reaction to your actions, compelling dialogue - all stuff that Bioware does really really well.

Comparing Jedi Knight and KOTOR is like apples and oranges here - almost like comparing Final Fantasy to Onimusha.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I look at the video and I see that it could have been BOTH

And wouldn't that have been grand?

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Clearly some people thought KOTOR was going to be some other type of game. Those thoughts were misconceived. And they are disappointed. This says nothing about the quality or success of KOTOR.

In fact, IGN has been raving about this title for the last couple of months. For the people who actually understand and appreciate what Bioware is trying to do, it appears that the game will be a must buy.

I myself will probably not buy this game simply because it isn't the type of game I am interested in. You won't however find me bashing what looks like an awesome game just because I'm not interested in the genre.

James T

Screenwriter
I saw the screenshots and JK3 looks promising but a fall release date...I doubt it. I think Spring or early summer 2004.

I don't really think it's an RPG. JK3 just seems to be a combination of JK1 and JK2.

I hope they fix the multiplayer. I loved JK2 online, but there were too many cheaters, then when they patched it, they changed the gameplay style radically, then they changed it again and once again you had to learn a new way to do saber battles. After about second patch, I gave up and from the look of the number of users/clans on the zone, other people gave up as well.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm not bashing KOTOR, and yes, the game definately appeared to be exactly what I wanted. JK2 combined with an epic scope RPG.

Perhaps someday they will make this wonderous game it could have been. I'm not anti-RPG, I was just teased with what appeared to be my dream title and then my hopes were dashed.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I was never under the impression that KOTOR was Jedi Knight 2 combined with an RPG. I know what Bioware does and I knew this was going to be a completely different Star Wars game than what we have seen before. I have never played a Bioware game but have friends who love them. I just was never interested in them but I could tell that they were very well done games. However, with this being Star Wars in the Old Republic (my favorite stories in the expanded Universe), I cannot wait to play this. To be honest, I am glad it is not going to be a hack and slash battle system. That is what the Jedi Knight series is for (which I also like). I want a different game, not the same thing over and over.

I just don't feel your comparing of games that are not even released yet is fair to the developers of both games. Saying one isn't up to snuff to the other before they are even released is like saying the X-men 2 is going to be better than The Hulk, even though I haven't seen either film.

-Dean-

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
So this would technically be (stay with me on this one)

Dark Forces 4-Jediknight 3-Jedioutcast 2-Name of this game

Wonder how they'll shorten the title ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I just don't feel your comparing of games that are not even released yet is fair to the developers of both games. Saying one isn't up to snuff to the other before they are even released is like saying the X-men 2 is going to be better than The Hulk, even though I haven't seen either film.
Ahh, but we have seen video of the system. There is no opportunity for style, it's basically a variation on the old "Attack, Magic, Dodge" system. except you get multiple attack options.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sand people, jawas, Tatooine. Tauntauns on Hoth. I'm all over this game! Call me unimaginative, but I'm thinking the female Twi'lek may be the way to go. If she can be blue. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks