What's new

JBL Studios with N24s as surrounds (1 Viewer)

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
(I tried some searching first but couldn't find much.)

Does anyone have or has anyone tried JBL Studios (such as the S38s) with N24s as surrounds? Could anyone comment on whether they were an acceptable match?

Thanks

John S

Senior HTF Member
S all the way across the fronts, with N24 as rears / backs, will be ok. If nobody has really tried it, you will be the the tester, let us know what you think.

The speakers, in my auditions sound way different though.

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I have the S38II's for the fronts and the S-CenterII for the center, and the S36II's for rears. I would keep the series all Studio if you can find them. I read a while back that the different series (northwood/Studio) have different voice coils (or teweeters..) or something making them sound differently. Now being you are considering making the N24's rears, I don't know how much of a factor this would be. I love the sound my S-series JBLs reproduce! I have seen the S-36II's (wall mountable as well) for around $250 online.

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll just take this one step at a time. When the S38s arrive I'll turn off the center and run a few surround demos, like where the motorcycle rides around the room or the jet flies by, and see just how bad it is or isn't. I'll report back the results for anyone who cares. (I'm a fairly picky listener.)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

But after living with the JBL NSP1's for over 2-years, I knew that having IDENTICAL Speakers anchoring the Fronts & Surrounds was the only HT sound (W/dynamic near 100% timbre matching surround sound/effects) that I wanted to reproduce in my 20' x 30' HT/family room, so I couldn't wait until I installed my JBL S26 side surrounds (R channel / L channel)!

When I upgraded to 6.1, ... I bought another JBL S26 set for my Rear Center Channel duties (wire in-series) and I now 'force-ON' the Matrix 6.1 Mode for 'ALL' my blockbuster DD/DTS-5.1 DVD's!!!

Latest DVD example: S.W.A.T. correctly decoded the identical side surround effects by routing those effects to the Rear Center Channel locations, nicely filling-in the Rear Center Channel location with 360-degree of seamless surround effects (opening shootout scene; gun shots, bullet ricochet sounds effects, helicopter, etc.) Sounded glorious!!! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Hope this helps & let us know what your think,
Phil

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
This is probably quite a moot point, now that all these speakers are being discontinued.
But anyway, I replaced my N38s and N-Center with S38s and an S-Center. The S-Center came first, so I ran that for a few days with the N38s, and it sounded unusual, as expected.
Last night I hooked up the S38s and calibrated, then ran through a number of tests with some demo material to see how they sounded with the N24 surrounds. Ultimate DVD Platinum has a jet that flies around and a Harley that rides from the center channel clockwise to the left surround.
It didn't sound as completely seamless as with an all N-series setup, but it wasn't noticeable enough to distract. In other scenes, such as the Planet of the Apes (2001) crash landing, which didn't pan one specific sound from the front to the surrounds, it wasn't noticeable at all. I listened to some music in DPL-II and that sounded alright, too. I don't have the absolute most finicky ear, but I'm still pretty picky and attentive to detail.
The upgrade in general was nice. Music sounds noticeably cleaner and more detailed with the S38s.
The center holds up much better to the "get the kids" test - that's where Jeff Goldblum lights a flare in Jurassic Park and runs away yelling for Dr. Grant to get the kids. If the center can't make out that line of dialogue, he seems like an idiot. His character is partly defined by a few words that are often difficult or impossible to hear. 256493510050172

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have S26II's an S Center and N24's for my surrounds. I think they do a great job as surrounds. I am waiting for a new crossover for my S26's to be sent from JBL so I have put them as my mains. They do a good job as mains as well. I have a PB-10 for a sub which does the job but I would like to hear from Phil how the SVS complements the JBL's as opposed to a smaller less powerful sub like mine.

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks