What's new

JBL S38's vs. Ascend CBM-170's..... (1 Viewer)

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about getting the CBM-170's, but I currently own an S-center channel, so I should probably get the S38. My question is then: is there a big enough difference in sound quality to warrant selling my S-ceneter and getting the CBM-170's package deal. Also if anybody knows, what about the differences in bass between the two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Both brands should be used with a sub. The Jbl can always be moved to the rear (just buy a second one) and buy the CBMs for the front LCR (imho, a much better speaker).

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
theres a big difference in sound between the JBLs and the Ascends- a large part of this is due to the metal tweeters (JBL) vs the silk (ascends).
i found the jbl s-center to be very bright, the ascends much more laid back.
i much prefer the warmer sound of the ascends.
you may not.

you should order 'em anyway and find out.
they have a pretty liberal return policy, and thats the only way you'll know for sure.
i'd do as Robert suggested and order three 170s for the front three. if you complete the package later on, they will still give you the package price.
on the other hand if you don't like them, you won't have as much to pack up and ship back.

they are superior speakers for sure, but sound is such an individual taste...

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
IT would depend entirely on your listening preferences.

The Ascends are sweeter for sure, but if you like it MAD loud, say 105db + on a regular basis I'd go with the JBLs.

If you are more sane, go with the Ascends for quality ...

Chris Trot

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the help, I usually only listen to music at a resonable volume, so I think I'll try out the Ascends.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks