What's new

JBL S38s to replace Paradigm Phantoms v2? (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Title is pretty descriptive. I currently use a pair of Phantoms and a sub for music listening (CDs and records), and was wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade to a pair of S38s. I've heard good things about the JBLs, and I have a friend who raves about them, but I don't want to spend the money if the improvement would be marginal.

TIA!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, finding some will be tough.

What don't you like about the phantom V2's? I'm pretty sure they are considered the higher end speaker of the two.

The S38's are not going to be as loud thats for sure.
What sort of amplification are you going to run on it?
Do you feel you have a lot of amp left at the volume you listen to now? The s38's are not efficient speakers by any means. The Phantom line is considered an efficient speaker.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
The S38's are very efficient at 91db and go very loud without distortion for a "bookshelf" monitor. I have powered some with a Panny SA-XR50 to a vintage yamaha amp bridged to put out 200 true watts...

The s38's are as your freind described. Do a search and check out the professional reviews. Also seek out "JBL Phil" who can give you the total picture...

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

It's not that I don't like them, I was just asking if the S38's would be an upgrade or not.

In any event, I think I'll stick with my Phantoms. I got a hell of a deal on them a couple of years ago (125 shipped), so I don't think I'm in a hurry to replace them.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Well, I can't comment on the Paradigms as I have never heard them, but the JBL S38IIs are very, very good to be a mass market mid fi speaker. Very clean and nuetral sounding and will work well with a wide variety of amps/receivers.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
"According to the manual on JBL's site anyways.. 89db..."

My memory fails me! Regardless though of specs on paper, these are some great speakers and from real-world expereince, quite easy to drive...

They can be had for $200 or so when they come up on E-Bay. I can't say they are better or worse than the Phantoms but it may not be an upgrade but just different.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yep, I agree. Just different.

I wouldn't spend any money if I was happy with my current speakers.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I think he may have done it, if we had all said.. Absolutely the s38's will blow them away.

But honesty prevailed. I don't have a lot of expeirence with the phantoms. But some research revealed them to be considered a very good higher end speaker, sounds like he got a whale of deal on his too. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I didn't realize there was time limit on mind changes :rolleyes

Seriously though, I asked a question...got some answers, and made a decision. A friend located some S38s and I had to make a quick decision, so I did. As I said before, I'm happy with the Paradigms, but compared to other floorstanders there not as good as my Axiom M40s and not even close to my parents M50s. I was asking to see if it was going to be a worthwhile upgrade. The responses here, coupled with reading on some other sites made me see that the S38s are great speakers, but not exactly a "step up" from what I currently have. I'll just continue to save my money and get something better down the road (Axiom M80s hopefully :D).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks