What's new

JBL Northridge series? (1 Viewer)

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Im looking into buying a receiver and two main floorstanding speakers, with a future intend of adding surrouds, and I got many suggestions for Energy, Paradigm, B&W, ect However, just recently I noticed the JBL northridge ND310II Floorstanding speakers, which only run at $350. Im not sure if thats per pair or one, but even if its only for one, it still seems like a pretty good deal.
Does anyone know any info on theese? How would they sound when put up against a $1000 pair of B&W's Klipschs, or Paradigms?
Thanks a lot :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
How would they sound when put up against a $1000 pair of B&W's Klipschs, or Paradigms?
Maybe someone who owns the ND310 & did some auditioning/comparisons, might chime in later. NOTE: The JBL S-Series would probably be the speaker line to add to the above $1000 pair audition list.
For more JBL INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.
**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jack:

The N310ii's are very nice speakers. I have the N38ii's in a theater set-up and love them.

Against B&W's? Well, against the 600-series small tower, I think the B&W wins sonically, but the price is premium.

Against Klipsch? No comment, as I haven't made the comparison.

Against Paradigm? Very close, to my ears. Again, the Paradigms are pricier.

--AM

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Heres something to think about, were talking about $350/ pair up against $1000+ for B&W or Paradigm, exc, but what if we take a $1000 JBL speakers and put it up against some others within that price range?

How about the STUDIO™ SERIES – S412PII?
It's a 4 way with an aparently 200-Watt powered woofer section running at $800.

How is it looking?

ALso, if the $300 JBLs are up to par with a $1000 pair Paradigms, then why do people not just get JBL? There's got to be something about thet more expensive pairs that makes them worth it...

Thanks again.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone?

I am seriously considering getting STUDIO™ SERIES – S412PII. THey sounded quite nice when I demoed them, but I just wouldnt feel right untill I've heard something about them from someone with experience.

THanks a lot.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Jack, I would advise buying bookshelves and adding a sub over going to a pair of towers (should have a much better bass performance in the long run). JBL N-series are pretty good speakers and should work very well in medium to smaller rooms (my def, 2000 cubic feet or less).

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I have a complete JBL S series setup. I have S310's in front an S-Center and S-38's for surrounds. I also have the PB12 Sub. We have a fairly small room 18x14 so these are more than enough for the space. For a while I considered using 4 S38's but I wanted the towers. I think the entire setup ran around $1300 ordered online. $2000 if purchased locally.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I've have not seriously auditioned the top line JBL S412P, but I found the following reviews ...
From Amazon Editorial Review on the JBL S412P ...
Bass not as tight as good sealed-enclosure speakers
Also, 8 consumers contributed their time to comment on these speakers on the bottom of Amazon's JBL S412P webpage, makes interesting reading.
Here's another consumer site that has 34 reviews - giving the JBL S412P 4.65 rating out of 5.
Hopefully, this will help and add to your own personal audition conclusions.
FYI: I personally love my JBL S26** (x4 - Fronts & Surrounds) & JBL S-Center** w/SVS 25-31PCi setup!!! My usual (once or twice a month)Friday NITE DVD family and friends group loves this setup also!
** My JBL S26 & S-Center uses the identical 1" Pure Titanium Tweeter as the top line JBL S412P.
Phil

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
Dont worry about the bass. Im not JUST getting the towers, im getting the towers AND a subwoofer. I though about getting bookselves for mains, but I still think that il get floorstanding ones for the front. Thanks though.

BTW: for a sub, I was thinking of buying a Plate Amp /w an Adire Shiva and building a ported enclosure myself, but that doesnt play a huge role here.

Mark R. Ososkie

Stunt Coordinator
I *had* a JBL S-series setup, s38 mains, s-center, s36 surrounds, and i put them up against a klipsch reference series system (rf-5's, rc-3, rs-3) and the JBL's..well, sounded like they deserved to be sold at major chains. The JBL's are a GREAT buy, but simply will not stand up to more expensive paradigm/b&w/klipsch.

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I see, and how would they compare to Energy speakers at roughly the price? I just cant spend much over $1000 Canadian, and JBL's and Energy seem to be the only things within range.

Also, if getting the JBL, would it be better to get the S312II pair, which doesnt have the powered woofers, if Im getting a seperate Shiva sub anyway?

Thanks again for all the input.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
If you were only getting them for music, I would say go for the powered woofers and forget the sub. For HT and music, I would definitely go for the non powered speakers and get the kickass sub.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Since your in Canada you could get a good buy on a Paradigm performance line system : CC170 and 4 titans

Jack*Mains

Stunt Coordinator
I may be completely wrong on this one... but theres just something I really like about BIG floorstanding speakers. I realise that the sound may not be quite as crisp as that coming from bookselves, but Im definitely getting a pair of towers for the front.

In fact, thats a part of the reason Im considering the JBL's. I want someting that produces clear, crisp, quality sound, while being able to reach quite high levels without any loss in quality. JBL's seem to have a nice balance within the $1000 price range. The sheer size would also blend in quite nicely with my current setup, as opposde to bookshelves.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I know where you're coming from Jack. I went back and forth between the S412s and S312s for a long time until I finally decided, you know, I've got an SVS and that's going to supply all the deep bass I'm really ever going to need. So I saved a few shekels and opted for the S312s. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. The only thing that would make me lean for the S412s is if your sub were not competent at low levels or you were going to go without a sub (or if you weren't going to use it much for HT). In those cases, I'd say by all means, S412. But otherwise the cost/benefit pushed me toward the S312s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks