What's new

JBL Northridge - In search of best prices... (1 Viewer)

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Thought I would pass this on...

Best Buy has the white N26AW II on sale for $99 a pair.

Not sure how long this deal will last but thought it would be helpful to some of you out there!

Matthew
Can anyone say how these speakers from BB are? I just ordered a pair to use with my HK125 for music. I know they're proably not the best, but I've been looking for something relatively cheap to upgrade my current speakers. Right now I'm using a pair of 3-way Sony speakers that came with a shelf system I got about 8 years ago.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Frequency Response
Take 2.2 front left/right... 110 Hz to 16.3 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 1.2 center............. 110 Hz to 17.4 kHz ±4.5 dB
Take 2.2 surround........... 110 Hz to 13.2 kHz ±3.2 dB
The JBL N24 has ...

1) Flatter, neutral frequency response (Front ±2.7 dB/Surround ±3.2 dB)

2) Lower usable frequency extension (Front & Surround 89 Hz)

3) Higher frequency extension (Front: 18.9 kHz / Surround: 18.4 kHz)

4) NOTE: The JBL N24's HT Package NSP1's is also more dynamic than the TAKE 5.1/5.2; and the NSP1 HT set will sound more like a real Theater @ or near REF Level without the fear of blowing a driver - common occurrence with the TAKE 5.1/5.2 if the consumer drives them hard.

You can bet based on the laws-of-physics, that the larger cabinet and woofer speaker JBL N26AW-II will have even lower usable frequency extension.

What makes the S&V standard Objective Speaker Benchmarks revealing is that ...

Fronts: AVG ± 30-degrees - double weight @ 30-degree

Surround: AVG ± 60-degree - double weight @ 60 degree

The reason why the JBL N24's exhibits flat with extended high neutral frequency response characteristics (especially @ the demanding Surround angle location) can be attributed to the inclusion of JBL TEC Award Winning PRO LSR Studio Monitor's EOS™ waveguide, which ALL JBL N- and S-Series have!!!

So, based on the highly regarded (subjectively & objectively) JBL N24's, you can expect even greater performance and dynamics from the JBL N26AW-II's!!! :)

For more JBL N-Series (& S-Series) INFO & Reviews w/links, see my webpage Why you should add JBL "N" & "S" Series to your audition list!.

**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Phil

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

Did you go with the Studio or Northridge series?

I have both. I have the N38II in my home theater and the S38II in my home office (music-only setup) and love them both. I would highly recommend the N38IIs--they are fabulous speakers for the price.

Speaking of price: got mine from J&R. I love their service and their prices; I bought them during a free shipping promotion on JBL stuff. It's all negotiable.

Have you picked your receiver yet? The H/K 225 is a nice unit, but do check out the Sony 2ES and 4ES. I have both and they are both terrific AVRs (and soon to be discontinued).

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I've been looking for a low cost center channel and I was checking out the JBL N Center reviews on Audioreview.com.

I saw that several people posted that they encountered some problems with the video shielding on the N Centers. I'm going to be placing whatever center channel I decide on atop my JVC 32D302 direct view set.

Will I have a problem?

Thanks!

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Don: I think you'll be OK. If you're picking up the N Center II, you'll definitely be fine. I have the original N Center, and have never had the problem described on audioreview.com.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Like Angelo.M - no problems placing my original JBL N-Cetner (since Apr. '00) on top of my 35" Toshiba Direct Tube TV.

Phil

Brian David

Auditioning
Well, I am just setting up my new system...
4 JBL S26IIs
JBL S-CenterII
Sony SA-WM40 Sub
H/K AVR-225

It's sounding great so far, but I am just starting to tune and tweak...
I bought the JBLs and the H/K from www.onecall.com[/url] and the sub from tvbuys.com (see link above from Phil). Total was just over $1100.
Thanks for all the help and info, it really assisted my purchase and research!!
-brian

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian: That's a nice little system you have there; I'm sure you'll enjoy it once it's tweaked.

BTW, as I said, I've never had any problems w/ my N-Center, but I use a RPTV, not a direct-view. Still, I think the problem you read about was corrected long ago.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Phil Iturralde,

Thanks for the breakdown. Sounds like they'll be worth the money, and a definite improvement from what I got. Should be the stop-gap solution I need until I can afford the S38II's, and then I can just use these as surrounds.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
My N Center II arrived today from Onecall. I excitedly unpacked it and set it up on top of my TV. The first thing I noticed was a little blue tinge on the top of the screen just below where each driver is located! drats! Just what I feared!

I moved the speaker towards the back of the TV a little and there was little change. All the way back and I saw a large red line appear on the left side of the screen. I watched a couple of scenes from different DVDs and they speaker worked like a charm. Since these were all widescreen films, I couldn't even see the interference, but we watch a lot of broadcast stuff, too and we can't live with the blue tinge - plus it will probably damage the set with time.

I don't want to return the speaker - it works and sounds great - in fact, I'm not sure if Onecall will take this back after reading their return policy. They only accept malfunctioning items once they've been opened.

Are there any suggestions as to what I could do to fix this? I could probably raise the speaker an inch or so off the TV to get rid of the interference. Should I look into some rubber feet for that purpose? I read on this thread that a thin metal plate could do the trick as well. Does this work?

TIA!

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about using a n28 as a center channel between my nd310 main's. Has anyone tried something similiar?

Brian David

Auditioning
Don,
I have my S-CenterII sitting directly on the edge of my Panasonic RPTV. It hasn't caused any interference or discoloration. I assume you are placing yours atop a direct view tv. In this case I have heard that placing a thin sheat of metal between the speaker and the TV can reduce/do away with the distortion caused by the magnets in the speakers. I know the speakers come factory shielded, but maybe this would alleviate the problem. You can find small peices of sheet metal at Lowes or Home Depot. Maybe this will fix your problem, I'm not sure, but I read it as a solution on another post.

Good Luck, Brian

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator

You could try calling JBL's tech support. When I did they said the speaker was definitely shielded and if I did end up buying the center and it had issues to call them back. They were very helpful.

Perhaps they can help diagnose if what you are experiencing is "out of the ordinary" and if so arrange a replacement. :)

Matthew

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Thanks for your input MatthewK and Brian!

I played around with the placement of the speaker last night after I posted my last message. I noticed that the interference became less as I moved the speaker further back from the front edge of the TV, but not all the way to the back of the cabinet. I finally settled on a point where the grill is about 4.5 inches from the front edge of the set. NO INTERFERENCE!

This morning, I called JBL tech support per MatthewK's suggestion. They are quite helpful! I explained the situation and they assured me that the speakers are shielded, but what I was seeing on my screen was the magnetic field coming from the FRONT of the speaker which, for obvious reasons, can't be shielded.

This makes sense to me because as I was playing around with the placement last night, I noticed that the blue tinge became larger if I tilted the baffle down towards the TV screen - thereby exposing the screen to the field from the front of the speaker. I think that by moving the speaker back, the top of the cabinet keeps the magnets far enough from the screen to keep it from showing up.

I may still try a piece of sheet metal between speaker and TV to see what happens.

Thanks!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
As I mentioned before, I had no Direct TV (35" Toshiba) magnetic interference problems with my JBL N-Center (original series) on top (now @ my vacation house), with the front edge hanging over approx. 3/4" from the Front TV Edge. I used a couple of rubber bumpers in the back side of my N-Center and a smaller size rubber bumpers on the front side to create a slight angle down towards my 'sweet spot'.

So, ... another option to raise the Center Speaker away from your TV is the Sanus Systems TV Top Shelf

Size WxDxH: 19"x16"x.75" / Shelf Capacity: 15 lb.

I bought one for my JBL S-Center to solidify the slight tilt down towards my 'sweet spot', ... since my S-Center kept sliding slightly further down over the front edge of my 50H81 Bezel over time. My other reason to get the TV Shelf was so I could remove the S-Center front edge direct weight (Weight: 15 lb) off my 50H81 RPTV Front Bezel, since I also want the front edge of my S-Center hanging over by approx. 3/4".

I placed the (larger for the back; smaller for the front) rubber feet’s so they were located on the solid wood frame behind the Bezel. I didn't use the adjustable bars/feet as shown in the image above, on the back of the TV Shelf, ... I just used some 1" square rubber bumper feet from Home Depot, under the back side of my Sanus TV Shelf and another set on the back side of my S-Center to create a slight tilt angle downward (smaller rubber pads for the front sides) - works great!!!

A quick Yahoo Shopping search: ... SANUS SYSTEMS TV-SB Television Shelf - $17.11 + SH (MSRP $34.99)

Just an FYI,
Phil

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
Is it ok to mix and match the S and N series. I found the center channel for the S series for only $138.95 only forty more than the N series.
http://store.yahoo.com/simplycheap/jbls-centerii.html

I was thinking that since about 70% of the information comes through my center it would be the best candidate for an upgrade. Should I not do this?

Also in the N38II is it the same as the N24 plus the eight?

Does anyone know where I can find the frequency response graphs for the N38 or N26?

Thanks

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

The question about mixing and matching the N and S Series has come up many times around here, and most (including Phil) will tell you not to do it as each series is voice-matched unto itself.

For my money, I didn't experience remarkable sonic or cognitive dissonance when I auditioned an S Center with my N38II's (the older HLS Center also matched reasonably well). At any rate, you simply have to demo it for yourself.

I don't have an answer to your other questions. The N38 rocks! Very underrated speaker.

JamesFA

Auditioning
I currently run a sort of mis-match jbl setup, due to size constraints (in order to make the wife happy). I run N24II mains, S-Center II, my surrounds are the sats from the jbl trio135 (also used in SCS135), and a velodyne CHT-8. I find that the S-CenterII sounded better to my untrained ear than the N-Center with my set up. Either way i think jbls offer the best sound for the money.

my 0.02
-jamie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks