What's new

JBL N38 Vs. Yamaha Ns 555 (1 Viewer)

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Wow just saw and heard the new Yamaha's at Best Buy today and I must admit I was really impressed, before you say it I know about the poor listening conditions there but the sound was really very impressive and these things are gorgeous!!! Makes me wonder what they would sound like with some decent cable hooked up to them (By the way these things are wired internally with Monster Cable!) . I was really thinking about getting the JBL's N38s until I heard these. I thought the midrange was excellent and very natural, the bass response was also much better the I thought from the two 6 1/2 in woofers. So now I'm undecided again just picked up a Denon 3802 last month that I'm extremely happy with for an unbelievable price by the way. So I decided to come here to one of my absolutely favorite places on the internet to the brotherhood of stereo fanatics like myself. So what do you guys think of the new Yamaha's (are they just another pretty face :)) really looking forward to your opinions and comments I really value them a lot. You guys have been a tremendous help in assisting me in putting my system together. Anybody out there had a chance to compare these two if you haven't seen or heard them and there's a Best Buy in your area stop by and give them a listen. Looking forward hearing from ya. Thanks

Tom j.

terence

Supporting Actor
I have heard them not bad but the bass was a little thin for my taste, and yes they do look good! I prefer the Athena's (AS-F2 & AS-1) over everything BB has to offer far as speakers. IMO BB is giving these speakers away at the price they are asking. Best bang for the buck for great performance in it's price class.

Here are some pics of the yamaha's

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe that a speaker being internally wired with Monster Cable would really be a selling point to anyone. I'm sure it'll be the absolute cheapest stuff that Monster makes and is probably no better than your typical Radio Shack brand (or any other inexpensive brand) wire. Some quality 16 guage oxygen free copper wire should be more than adequate.

terence

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that a speaker being internally wired with Monster Cable
You know Yamaha is not the only company that makes that makes the same claim. Klipsch & Wharfedale do as well, must be the lastest craze.:)

From Klipsch Press Release page.

Monster Cable and Klipsch Enter Partnership Deal That Places Monster Inside Eight New Reference Series Models and Paves Way for Co-Branding OpportunitiesINDIANAPOLIS (May 7, 2001) — Forecasts predict that combined home and portable audio sales will increase more than seven percent this year, a sharp change from the one percent loss that the industry suffered in 1999 (Source: CEA). Today, Monster Cable and Klipsch Audio Technologies announced that they have formed a partnership and will use their combined brand strength to capture larger market shares during this time of growth.

According to Paul Jacobs, COO of the Worldwide Products Group for Klipsch Audio Technologies, the partnership specifies that most or possibly all new Klipsch loudspeakers — including consumer, cinema, systems integration and multimedia — will be wired internally with Monster Cable. But the agreement is much more than an OEM supply relationship as both companies have plans to leverage the partnership in marketing materials, advertising, packaging, training programs and on their respective web sites.

Noel Lee, president of Monster Cable, said that this partnership is significant because it aligns the number one wire brand with the number one loudspeaker brand in the specialty audio market, creating a compelling story for the retail floor that will positively impact sales.

"This partnership allows consumers a choice to have Monster Cable performance from the back of the receiver all the way to the driver inside the loudspeaker," Lee said. "That will have considerable pull with customers who want to ensure the highest level of performance."

Eight new Reference Series models, which are the first products from Klipsch to be wired exclusively with Z-Series Monster Cable®, will be available at specialty audio retail stores in June. The Z-Series Monster Cable® comes in three frequency specific designs for enhanced definition and detail. The new Reference SKUs include two passive floorstanders, a bookshelf model, center channel, surround speaker and three subwoofers. Price points of the eight new loudspeakers range from $650 to $2,200 a pair U.S. MSRP and five of the eight new models feature real-wood black, maple, or cherry furniture-grade veneer options. The internal wiring on the four existing Klipsch Reference Series SKUs will be upgraded to Monster Cable® in time for the fall selling season.

Monster Cable® Products, Inc. is the world's leading manufacturer of cables for audio, video, home theatre, car, computer, and custom installation. Monster Power®, a division of Monster Cable, manufactures a complete line of AC power conditioning solutions for home theatre and computer.

Headquartered in Indianapolis with manufacturing facilities in Hope, Ark. and Orange, Calif., Klipsch Audio Technologies was founded in the 1940s by audio pioneer Paul W. Klipsch. Indianapolis entrepreneur Fred S. Klipsch (a cousin to Paul W. Klipsch) and his wife Judy Klipsch bought the company in 1989 from Paul W. Klipsch and his wife Valerie Klipsch, guiding it to its current position as a global leader in audio systems. With distribution of the brand to specialty audio retailers as its core business, Klipsch manufactures and markets complete lines of consumer and professional loudspeakers.

SOURCE: Klipsch Audio Technologies

CONTACT: Joshua Ryan Hall of Klipsch Audio Technologies, 317-860-8708, or [email protected]

Daniel Graham of Monster Cable®, 415-840-2000, or [email protected]

WEB SITES: www.klipsch.com www.monstercable.com

EDITOR'S NOTES: Klipsch COO Paul Jacobs is available for interviews by contacting Joshua Ryan Hall. Noel Lee, president of Monster Cable® is available for interviews by contacting Daniel Graham.

Back to Latest Press Releases
Back to Klipsch NewsCenter

Monster Cables News.

http://www.monstercable.com/MonsterW...2_website.html

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I think the new Yammie's sound great for the price and that gloss black sure is slick. They surprised me as well.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
If you want to listen to speakers there, get somebody that can open up the cabinet and have them turn off the soundfield.

As for the comparison, I listened to them both at BB and I liked neither. If you have a 3802, why get such a crappy pair of speakers? Go with a better brand or higher model (well, only applies for JBL).

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Thanks Frank yep I really was impressed went out and looked at them again. Plan on finding a local retailer so I can bring some of my own music for comparison. I also thought considering, the bass as very good, as for the Monster Cable I really don't what to get into that debate but I know cable can make a tremendous difference depending on how critical you are. I sure the Monster is better then what they were using but I do agree that it's probably partly a little hype. Really looking for someone out there that would be willing to compare the two. The Yamaha's seem a little less bright to me I always thought the JBL's were just a little on the bright side. Say Frank how would you compare the two. As to why I'm not wanting to spend more? Money! can't spend everything on my system I also have to eat pay bills ect. .:D Thanks Guys

Tom j

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Tom,

If the Yammies use some decent 16 gauge wire they'd definitely have better internal wire than what most of the other speakers sold in places like BB. But even if it is 16 gauge Monster cable, it still won't be of any higher quality than you're typical $.20/ft. speaker cable. I've built speaker kits with seriously el cheapo 18 gauge internal wiring that are still of higher quality than any speaker BB has ever sold and most likely ever will.

I'm not trying to offend you here, I just hate to see people reeled in by marketing BS. And that's all these partnerships with speaker companies and Monster Cable are.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I think the runs are so short that it wouldn't even really matter as long as you do use a decent cable. I think the only way you will see a problem is if you used say a telephone wire because of how thin it is.

I do like Klipch and own them... they are definantly a speaker I would look at and as for the monster cable deal, I don't know if it makes a difference and I don't care as long as I get a beautiful sounding speaker for an excellent price then why should it matter as long as it uses some good parts.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

I can't really compare them, I've tried out some JBL Northridge bookshelf speakers in my system, but not the N38's. As for the Yamaha's, I only listened to them twice at BB and each time was only for a short time. The second time they didn't sound right and I noticed they had some soundfield on and the bass and treble were turned all the way up.

I'm not sure whay you're getting the Yamaha's for, but the JBL's can be found pretty cheap from authorized dealers now. www.jandr.com and www.bhphotovideo.com seem to have the best prices.

BruceTM

Agent
I had the Yamaha ns-555's for 2 weeks, ordered the axiom m22ti's. I took the Yammy's back. There was no contest there. I didn't miss them one bit, either.

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Thanks Frank think I'll go back and check them for bass and treble, say Frank were you ever able to correct the problem and listen to them flat? Really curious as to what you think. Also at least in the BB by my home the JBL's are in the adjacent room maybe if you're there again you could compare the two and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Tom j.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
The first time I heard them in a BB in Kansas they were in stereo and tone controls were set flat, that's when they impressed me. They had a good dynamics and a big soundstage that reminded me of my Klipsch. I should note, that if I like a speaker it probably means that 90% of people will probably find them bright(and I like those Yammies). I say this because I recently bought what some people not only consider bright, but one of the brighter speakers Klipsch made and I'm absolutely thrilled with their sound(Legend series-KLF20 & KLFC7).

The JBL Northridge speakers I've had in my system(N26 & N24) are tremendous bargains as well. I found I like their sound better when powered with my old Yamaha receiver(which most consider bright).

Bruce brought up a pertinent point, you can get something like the Axiom M22ti's or M3ti's around the same price. I've never heard any Axiom speakers, but being an internet direct company they have the potential to have great "bang for the buck". Based on the reviews and user opinions I've read they seem to be a tremendous bargain. My bet is something like the Axiom would be the superior speaker(over the JBL or Yamaha). I suggest you at least investigate them as well(visit their forum and see if someone will let you demo their's). I came very close to buying some Axioms once(people also say they're kind of bright:D).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks