Jaywalker Candidates

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay Taylor, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

You're probably familiar with Jay Leno's Jaywalking segment where Jay asks geography questions such as "What countries border the U.S.?" and gets answers like "Australia & Utah".

Today I had an encounter with a Jaywalking candidate who works at Sprint's Customer Service department. I called and asked if my wireless air card could be used in Hawaii without roaming fees. She kept saying "hold on while I look this up."

After a lengthy wait she said "I'm sorry this is taking so long. I'm just trying to find out what country Hawaii is in."

(She was an American.)

Have you encountered any candidates for the Jaywalking segment?

P.S. I was going to have an American moderator change this thread's title from Jaywalker Candidates to Jaywalking Candidates but I couldn't remember what country America is in.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Well, a long time ago, my total at Wendy's was $5.60, so I gave the girl six dollars and a dime. She asked, "What's the dime for?"

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

It happened to me at McDonald's not too long ago. The cashier puzzled and puzzled over it, then finally had to call over another staff member who told her to just key the amount into the cash register and let the computer figure it out.

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I had the same thing once. Except as they were giving change I said "wait I have a nickel". I got a response back like "what the nickel is foh?" and just said keep the change and left.

One time at work we printed out a blank map of the US and everyone had to fill in all the states. You wouldn't believe how terrible it was. Most of them couldn't even come up with 50 states, let alone put them in the right spot.

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Hey, I resemble those remarks! Most of this stuff doesn't phase me. I've got a Ph.D. in Optics and work in Aerospace, and I doubt I could draw a US map of all 50 states. And after 20 years of calculators and computer-aided math, I'm lousy doing it in my head and can't figure out change to get two quarters back.

However, my recent experience with Sony Customer Service (Battery Department) makes me wonder if they're staffed solely by Jaywalkers. Non-responsive customer service. If they respond, it's by mispelled sentence fragments. Multiple incorrect product replacements being sent to me.

6. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I don't know if I could fill in the map of states right now.
    I haven't looked at a U.S. map in 20 years.

7. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Once I was dressed as Willy Wonka for a Halloween costume contest at work. I wore a wig, a tall top hat, a bowtie, a purple jacket and carried a cane. As I walked past a bus stop I overheard a woman saying matter-of-factly to her friend:
    "That guy is Benjamin Franklin."
    WTF???

8. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    Benjamin Franklin is on money. "Money" means "cool." Thus, she was complimenting you. "That guy is so money!" [/url]

9. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Heh, I think I can -- and I'm not even American...

In 2007 on holiday in CA, after dinner the bill worked out to just under $100. So we placed $120 (a hundred and a twenty) into the folder, handed it to our waitress, and got ready to leave. We took our time, by which time the waitress had returned and chirpily offered the folder saying "Here's your change!" Me: "Errr... that's for you..."

I suppose to be fair she wasn't making any assumptions as to her tip, but given that one hundred would have paid the bill, since we put in more I would have thought it was safe to assume that the change and the extra note was the tip.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    DaveF:

If anyone had any doubt that you were an engineering/science type, this would have removed it:

In this context that would be "doesn't faze me". (Unless you mean you haven't been shot with a fictional energy weapon, in which case you were right in the first place. Speaking of which, I never got around to seeing the Trek reboot and I've been wondering about something: Did they give anyone the line, "Don't phase me, bro?" [/url]

Joe

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Originally Posted by TonyD

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Originally Posted by Malcolm R

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

I can't remember offhand any situation where I have run into a "Jaywalking" candidate. I do remember a friend running into such a situation. He attended a RC modelling contest in the Eastern States. One of the contestants asked where he was from. Most of the time when asked that question people from Northern BC will use Vancouver, BC as a reference and say, "I'm from such and such and it is so many miles North of Vancouver". Figuring that the guy might not know where Vancouver was, he told him the name of the city and used Seattle, Washington as the reference. The next question.........Where is Seattle?

15. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Here's one of Jay's videos: Jaywalking - Viva Las Vegas!