What's new

Blu-ray Review Jaws Blu-ray Review - Very Highly Recommended (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jason_V said:
I stand by my old comment.  I certainly wasn't drinking that night.
No one's arguing with you, buddy, though you may not be the oldest one around here, maybe younger than me, but I'll admit it's possible and concede that you may feel like it...
Now what you guys have done is alter the coarse of my weekend. I had cut way back on my Netflix to just streaming only, and thanks to those remarks about J3&4, I just re-upped and got the three Jaws sequels coming to me by Friday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I have read all the books but not since they were published and one of them was from the point of view of the shark and it was out for revenge for the shark in the first boook due to being related in some way.
It was probably the fourth one since the shark went after the Brody children after they grew up.

I distinctly remember

in Jaws 2, Marge being eaten by the shark and the camera was shooting straight on and you could see her going in the mouth and disappearing.

It was the most shocking moment to me of the entire series. I heard it isn't in the film anymore. Can someone confirm that I saw it? It would have been an HBO broadcast in the early 1980s. I'll never get that image out of my mind, and wondered how they did that.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
I distinctly remember
in Jaws 2, Marge being eaten by the shark and the camera was shooting straight on and you could see her going in the mouth and disappearing.
 It was the most shocking moment to me of the entire series. I heard it isn't in the film anymore. Can someone confirm that I saw it? It would have been an HBO broadcast in the early 1980s. I'll never get that image out of my mind, and wondered how they did that.
ooh, interesting. You mean the really nice girl, that was being kind to one of the little kids? I kinda recall my reaction when I first saw that, was that it was really bad, but it figured... the second film to me felt like Friday the 13th at sea... it was just like indiscriminate munching.
But yeah what you describe does sound kinda familiar. Well I'll look out for it when the DVDs get here this weekend.
So Eric, do you have pics of your screening?

I have to get the pics from a friend. I didn't personally take any because my pictures always come out with a double image! I'll post them when I get them. I'll also be taking pics of "Sound of Music" this weekend and posting them in the home theater section!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
I have to get the pics from a friend. I didn't personally take any because my pictures always come out with a double image! I'll post them when I get them. I'll also be taking pics of "Sound of Music" this weekend and posting them in the home theater section!
Yeah I take lousy pics myself. So struedel and pink lemonade and pinecones on seats? Popcorn in a Bright Cooper Kettle held in warm woolen mittens?? Blueberries? You gonna do the sing along or regular? There were some crazy costumes when it played the Bowl here.

LOL...I'm showing the original version. Jaws looked great at SkyDome, so I'm very excited about Music. We are expecting rain sometime Friday, so it might get delayed one week....The Godfather is planned for the following week...then Dances with Wolves and Titanic.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
LOL...I'm showing the original version. Jaws looked great at SkyDome, so I'm very excited about Music. We are expecting rain sometime Friday, so it might get delayed one week....The Godfather is planned for the following week...then Dances with Wolves and Titanic.
Hmm, Godfather... serving pasta? Wedding cake? got any mattresses for people to go to? I see a plate of cannoli with some packs of gum next to them, so people can leave the gum and take the cannoli...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
eric scott richard said:
Your suggestions are cracking me up! Great!
My father's side of the family is very Italian, and when the Godfather movie opened in our town I went with him. I noticed some of the Italian dialogue got hearty laughs among the goombhas, while the subtitles were very innocuous. So I don't think they quite match.
Aaand back to Jaws. Netflix says Jaws 2 is shipping tomorrow. I hope 3 and 4 will be here by Saturday. Where did they shoot number 2?
Oh, speaking of which... the French title was "teeth of the sea." Mer is the word for sea. Couldn't just add the 2 because the french word for 2 after the word for sea refers to a common substance that hit the fan when I brought up Mrs. Kitner.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Eric, that scene is still in Jaws 2. On the dvd I believe the director said that it was a timing shot. Divers pulled her under right as the shark was closing its mouth. The most terrifying scene for me in Jaws 2 was when Eddie grabs onto the side of the sail boat pleading for help and breaks off a piece of the boat as the shark pulls him under. It still unnerves me every time I see it. I've always liked Jaws 2. Even though it doesn't remotely come close to equaling the original, it's a very watchable sequel. Jaws 3 and 4 don't even exist in my Jaws universe.
Carter, parts of Jaws 2 was shot on Martha's Vineyard but most was shot in Navarre Beach, Florida.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Where did they shoot number 2?
I believe it was again a Martha's Vineyard shoot primarily, but I think I read that somewhere that some of the scenes of the teens sailing were done in Florida as the waters in M.V. eventually became too cold as shooting went on.
I never heard about any alternate way that death was shown. Is it possible you're thinking of the Helicopter attack scene where there was deleted underwater footage of the pilot trapped in the Helicopter while the shark is "waiting". That extra footage was cut due to the fear of an "R" rating, but ironically appeared in television airings of Jaws 2 (Also can been seen as a deleted scene on the DVD) Or is it possible you're thinking of the guy in the rowboat from the Original who got offed in a similar shot to what you described above.
Does anyone remember in the first sequel that there was a backstory explaining the appearance of the new shark that was never mentioned in the actual film?
In Jaws 2, Brody mentions the idea that if a shark was killed, perhaps another shark could pick up on the distress, but the idea is quickly shot down by the Marine Biologist examining the dead whale and is (thankfully) not mentioned again

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by WillG /t/322958/jaws-blu-ray-review-very-highly-recommended/300#post_3968313
I never heard about any alternate way that death was shown. Is it possible you're thinking of the Helicopter attack scene where there was deleted underwater footage of the pilot trapped in the Helicopter while the shark is "waiting". That extra footage was cut due to the fear of an "R" rating, but ironically appeared in television airings of Jaws 2 (Also can been seen as a deleted scene on the DVD) Or is it possible you're thinking of the guy in the rowboat from the Original who got offed in a similar shot to what you described above.

It could just be my memory of the DVD from years ago, but the attack on the pilot under water was kinda freaky.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
WillG said:
I believe it was again a Martha's Vineyard shoot primarily, but I think I read that somewhere that some of the scenes of the teens sailing were done in Florida as the waters in M.V. eventually became too cold as shooting went on.
I had read the Jaws 2 Log of course along with the novelization by, wasn't it Howard Sackler? and don't recall much of it, but since we heard so much about how godawful difficult it was to shoot the first one in the Atlantic, all the troubles with the horizon and the shark, you'd figure they planned something a bit easier the second time around. I just don't recall how.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The novelization of Jaws 2 (and I think Jaws 4) was by Hank Searls. I remember the novelization of 2 being interesting, but I read it as a 12 year old and don't remember much about it now.

As for the one girl that gets lovingly munched by the shark in 2, I've never seen a shot of her being eaten head on. The shot in question was from over her back as she's protecting little Sean. The shark suddenly rises up in frame from below and engulfs her, while the soundtrack is filled with a distinct loud crunching sound. Crunch, crunch, crunch. I remember as a kid laughing hysterically at the absurd sight, even though we were aware this was probably in less than good taste. Jeannot Szwarc describes this shot on the DVD as one where the shark literally obliterates someone on camera.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin EK said:
The novelization of Jaws 2 (and I think Jaws 4) was by Hank Searls.  I remember the novelization of 2 being interesting, but I read it as a 12 year old and don't remember much about it now.
f1efc555_Picture3.png

I just remember seeing Sackler's name on the cover.
You should see how much the Jaws 2 Log goes for now. I could have sworn that book was written by one of the young actors, but...

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
There was also scene that didn't make it into the movie. Bob, one of the kids played by Billy Van Zandt, gets eaten by the shark. I saw a photo of him on top of an overturned sailboat with the fin coming at him. Supposedly the shot was so gruesome the film would have gotten an R rating. So they had to re-shoot the scene with Bob climbing up on Cable Junction to safety. This was shot after filming was already done. If you watch closely, at the very end of the movie there is a wide shot of all the kids on Cable Junction and Bob isn't there. Actually, I liked Bob, I'm glad he didn't get killed.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob_S. said:
There was also scene that didn't make it into the movie. Bob, one of the kids played by Billy Van Zandt, gets eaten by the shark. I saw a photo of him on top of an overturned sailboat with the fin coming at him. Supposedly the shot was so gruesome the film would have gotten an R rating. So they had to re-shoot the scene with Bob climbing up on Cable Junction to safety. This was shot after filming was already done. If you watch closely, at the very end of the movie there is a wide shot of all the kids on Cable Junction and Bob isn't there. Actually, I liked Bob, I'm glad he didn't get killed.
Billy was in a Soap Opera prior to that...

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The only good thing to come of Jaws: The Revenge is this quote from Michael Caine:

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]“I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.” [/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks