What's new

Jason of Starcommand, any chance of ti coming on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I barely remember this show, but seeing as it had "House of a 1000 Corpses" star Sid Haig, I've been really curious to check it out again. Me and some friends got talking about it, and have come to the conclusion that this show was really awesome (despite the fact that none of us could remember a storyline, and the booze was flowing a little bit, which means that if I ever see it again, I'm sure it well be pretty crappy.)

any other fans? (Again, I'm using that term loosely...)

:b

Aw cripes! Can an admin correct my spelling error in the title?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I owned a Space Academy action figure once, one of the GI Joe sized kind of dolls.

Jason of Star Command was about a secret spy command center located in a secret part of Space Academy (which allowed them to reuse all the special effects shots from Space Academy). Jason, as I remember it, was a typical 1970s feathered hair guy whose belt buckle served as a kind of low budget spacesuit (i.e., they didn't need to wear spacesuits as long as they had their belt buckle).

There was a bad guy who flew around in a spaceship which was also made out of an asteroid. I don't recall what he did that made him a villain, but they seemed to fight him a lot. I think there was an evil princess related to him, a la Princess Ardala on Buck Rogers.

I think Space Academy was the better show. Larger cast, and it had the guy who played Dr. Smith from Lost in Space. Same vein as Ark II in terms of live action production.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
If I remember correctly, the villian in the asteroid was sid haig. But I don't hardly remember this show.

I don't think I've ever heard of space acadamy. Lord am I confused... I probably have about 3 shows mixed up. the more I think about it, the more I think about the "Last Starfighter"...

I probably shouldn't have started this thread:b

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
Russell you are exactly right. Sid was the evil "Dragos" and it also had one of my favorite actors, Jimmy Doohan in the role of Commander Canarvin.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith) was in Space Academy, not Jason.

I picked up a bootleg VHS of a few episodes a couple of years ago. It was fun for nostalgia's sake (part of fond 70s Saturday morning childhood memories) but it's one of those things that don't hold up to viewing as a grown-up at all. Every ep on my tape has at least one deux ex machina concerning a palm-sized windup robot, complete with its own wacky sound effects and music. Oy..

Still, hearing that stock Filmation incidental music, which they used on everything they made, brought back a wash of memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks