January Criterions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Oct 18, 2006.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Yojimbo and Sanjuro are a lock for me.

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I'm getting the box myself [​IMG]

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Nice selection! I'll definitely be double-dipping on Yojimbo and Sanjuro (the old ones are goin' up on eBay today) and that Monsters and Madmen set is too cool to pass up! I'll Netflix Border Radio. Mouchette is worthwhile, though similar to Au hasard Balthazar.

5. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Cue salivation. Unfortunately, I never have enough money for Criterions. It's a harsh reality. [​IMG]

6. Marius W

Marius W Agent

Marius Willms
    Finally!

I have been waiting for a proper release of Yojimbo & Sanjuro since the dawn of the DVD-format. I have been wishing for a perfect release since Criterion'a first (dreadful) release of these masterpieces. What Criterion did with Seven Samurai recently certainly gives me high hopes.

I am just so happy I never bought the old DVDs, and just kept my old laserdiscs (which actually are just as bad as the old DVDs.)

7. Patrick H.

Patrick H. Second Unit

Yes! YES! TRIUMPH!!!

The Yojimbo/Sanjuro box is my first must-buy of 2007! (Or, at least, the first one with a release date.)

8. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Definitely the Yojimbo/Sanjuro box! Although I'm almost excited over Mouchette!

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

If Seven Samurai re-issue is any indication, I'm writing in Yojimbo and Sanjuro in ink on my calendar.

10. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

I was very excited about the Monsters and Madmen set until I noticed the list price of $79.98! That is totally ridiculous. Criterion strikes again. The King of Overpriced DVD's seems very intent on keeping their place on the throne.

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great January is my birthday

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

No, overpriced is reissuing 3 non-anamorphic, 1993 video master-sourced DVDs as "extras" for $25 MSRP each [​IMG]

Seriously: DVD Planet = 35% off of Criterion. Anyone who is paying MSRP for Criterion needs to start shopping there (and yes, they're listed on DVD Price Search).

Secondly, maybe you don't understand, but Criterion owns and makes a grand total of...zero films. That means unlike all other studios, who get revenue from theatrical runs to offset costs, Criterion must make their living on DVD sales.

Also, they must pay a licensing fee to the owning studios for these films.

Plus, in the case of Seven Samurai and, I'm sure, Yojimbo and Sanjuro, they incurred restoration costs as well. And most likely will not sell in the "millions of units" so they need to charge higher costs.

Look, I'm hunting for the lowest prices on stuff too, but Criterion is hardly out to skin the consumer. Once you understand what their position is, well let's just say that I personally have no problem paying higher for Criterion's product than the aforementioned "1993 video master-sourced" from a major player in the movie/DVD field.

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Border Radio cover now up.

14. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Some classy covers there!

As for DVD Planet - I recommend DVD Pacific instead.

15. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will
    Wow!

Can't wait for the Monsters & Madmen set. Great to see Criterion going for some slightly more cultish films than usual. [​IMG]

I've said this after every Criterion announcement of the last few years, so I'll say it again: Where's Pierrot le Fou?!?

16. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

That Yojimbo/Sanjuro set will be mine! [​IMG]

Also interested in the two Karloff flicks in the Monsters and Madmen set but that absurd price will force me to rent it instead.

If Criterion wants to dive into the cult film market then great, but they need to be a bit more reasonable when it comes to pricing.

17. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I thought I'd heard Yojimbo and Sanjuro were getting new discs...! Very cool.

How is the disc of The Hidden Fortress? Seems I'd heard it was actually quite nice and not in need of a new transfer - ?

18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    Hidden Fortress looks superb and also has Perspecta 3.0. The only thing it lacks is any sizeable extras (all you get is a poor quality non-anamorphic trailer and an interview with George Lucas).

19. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

It seems that the only Criterions I get lately are upgrades. I'll be getting Sanjuro, and glad to do so, but I miss the days when great classics by the likes of Hitchcock, Sturges and Lubitsch were getting Criterion releases.

20. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Once these two DVDs are released, the one remaining Kurosawa disc from Criterion that will still need an upgrade is High and Low.