What's new

James Garner passed away at 86 years old! (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Rockford Files (the most perfect TV show ever)MaverickThe PromiseWheeler DealersMurphy's RomanceGreat EscapeSpace CowboysVictor VictoriaBarbarians At The GateAmericanization Of EmilySunsetHour Of The Gun

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One of my very favourite actors.

We lose one again.
I used to watch large parts of the Maverick series. I loved Skin Games, which somehow is paralleled a bit, a little bit, by the latest Maverick film. I enjoyed the character he played in the latter.
I own all of his latest movies that are on DVD or Blu-ray.

An icon of the American movie, in particular the Western, of course.
(That's great, Crawdaddy, that you have been in a position to shake his hand once.)

RIP, James Garner!

Cees

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Grew up watching The Rockford Files, just loved that show and never missed an episode.Just happen to catch The Great Escape last night, another find performance.He was a fixture on the Raiders sideline during the seventies and was very friendly to fans.Thanks Mr Garner for all the wonderful memories.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Garner been a favorite actor of mine for years. Never had the luck of meeting him but did watch him golf in a golf tournament in Columbus Ohio about 25 yrs ago. A gentleman to everyone in the crowd.

RIP, James.

RIP, Bret.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cees Alons said:
One of my very favourite actors.

We lose one again.
I used to watch large parts of the Maverick series. I loved Skin Games, which somehow is paralleled a bit, a little bit, by the latest Maverick film. I enjoyed the character he played in the latter.
I own all of his latest movies that are on DVD or Blu-ray.

An icon of the American movie, in particular the Western, of course.
(That's great, Crawdaddy, that you have been in a position to shake his hand once.)

RIP, James Garner!

Cees
I met him at the LA Coliseum during a Raiders game in 1989.

Just got done with The Americanization of Emily, a truly excellent film. Not my first viewing, but it was like seeing it fresh again because WA released a great BD presentation of it.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
A fun James Garner comedy is The Thrill Of It All with Doris Day . There's a nice, cheap, region-free Doris Day Blu-ray set from Germany, which has a very nice transfer of the film.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
He was also FANTASTIC in The Notebook. :( Loved him. Terrific voice, screen presence...and charisma. We will miss you.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The "class of 2014" (my way of saying 'those who've passed this year') has unfortunately, but not completely unexpectedly, enlisted some very distinguished company thus far, and James Garner is no exception. Of course, he leaves behind several family members, many friends and colleagues, and innumerable fans. One of the best things about his work is that it will continue to be with us forever. Neither Bret Maverick nor Jim Rockford need ever die. May James Garner RIP as we continue to enjoy his work.

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya."

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Robert Crawford said:
Isn't John Leyton still alive.
Believe David McCallum is also still among the living, in case anybody ain't mentioned it already.

Oh, just noticed Ashley-Pitt was mentioned. So may I put in a plug for one of my favourite James Garner flicks, the little noticed Tank. I like what another poster said above, Garner was a smooth operator, and it showed in every role he played. He was more than good in the Robert Benton flick, Twilight, which is now I think OOP on DVD (and was in any case non-anamorphic), a completely different kind of smooth operator.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In my mailbox Saturday was a package from Warner Archives: Bret Maverick and The Long Summer of George Adams.
Then a punch to my gut when I read the news online later that same day.

Sad news indeed.

He had some great television shows: Maverick, Rockford Files. I also enjoyed him in First Monday, and always wished they would have given that show more of a chance to succeed.

And then all the wonderful movies he made. He was one of the great ones. If he was in it, the show was worth watching.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Rodney said:
In my mailbox Saturday was a package from Warner Archives: Bret Maverick and The Long Summer of George Adams.
Then a punch to my gut when I read the news online later that same day.

Sad news indeed.

He had some great television shows: Maverick, Rockford Files. I also enjoyed him in First Monday, and always wished they would have given that show more of a chance to succeed.

And then all the wonderful movies he made. He was one of the great ones. If he was in it, the show was worth watching.
I still want to purchase Nichols from WA at some point. I've never seen it, but Garner is one of those actors where you can feel safe about making a blind buy. Even if the script(s) not the greatest, you know his performance will make it worth your time and money.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Forgot to mention "Cash McCall", a lovely wisp of a romantic comedy in which Garner co-starred with Natalie Wood. Well worth revisiting.

cash-mccall-movie-poster-1960-1020230956.jpg

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Oh, just noticed Ashley-Pitt was mentioned. So may I put in a plug for one of my favourite James Garner flicks, the little noticed Tank.

I really, really like this film!! Saw it when it was first released in theater and thought it was a lot of fun! Underrated, indeed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks