What's new

James Garner passed away at 86 years old! (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I was kinder of getting into these shows in the 70's from Universal, Colombo, The Rockford Files McCloud some good crime/mystery shows.

RIP "Jim Rockford". James Garner. :(

The answering machine at the opening of each show.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
support05.jpg
Thanks for passing through on your way to Australia​

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Very sad news, always one of my favourites. Best TV work for me was Bret Maverick (which I am currently working through). Loads of great film roles, my personal favourite has always been The Wheeler Dealers with the lovely Lee Remick.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
He made some great films RIP.Grand Prix is on BBC2 this afternoon, always wanted to see this in Cinerama.
Starts at 16:15 hours Also in HD so might be in Dolby 5.1 or just Dolby 2.0?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Knowing the long, successful career that James Garner had, I feel a bit silly
saying that my first introduction to him -- and what I feel today to be the most
defining moment of his career -- is Support Your Local Sheriff.

I remember seeing that film as a kid at the local General Cinema theater that
showed free movies every Saturday (with a coupon from the Acme Supermarket).

Support Your Local Sheriff is my all-time favorite western, and I don't think most
people even consider it to be a true western.

Yet, there was something about Garner in that film. Probably the same thing he
brought to just about every role he played ...

He was smooth operator.

What a huge loss. I would celebrate by watching my favorite western today, but
I am still holding out for the eventual Blu-ray release. Perhaps I'll watch Maverick
instead.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I never "forgave" James Garner for leaving MAVERICK.SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF has got to be the funniest comedy western ever made!I always thought that the, "I'm going to Australia", line was a reference to Wade Preston walking off his WB western series COLT.45 and actually moving to Australia and becoming a pilot.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
So many wonderful performances in both film and television. My earliest memories of watching him were actually the series of Polaroid ads he did in the early 80s with Mariette Hartley. Without a doubt, my favorite Garner character is Jim Rockford. In both the series and the later TV-movies, that character is just so much fun to watch.

He also joined my favorite TV medical drama Chicago Hope during its 6th (final) season for its last 4 episodes as a slick tycoon whose managed care company has purchased the hospital. That season was already scheduled to come out (in Region 2) this week, so I'll be skipping ahead and watching his episodes once I receive my copy.

RIP, Mr. Garner. Thanks for so many hours of great entertainment.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
To the family of James Garner, my sincere prayers and condolences to each of you.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A very likeable and talented actor. I looked forward to watching him in any role. "Murphy's Romance" is one of my favorite films of the 80's. A sad day for sure. He will be greatly missed.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I was a *huge* fan of his Maverick and Rockford Files TV series.But I also enjoyed all his film work. In addition to the films already mentioned, ("Support Your Local Sheriff" is also one of my favorites), don't forget his latter day roles in "The Notebook" and "Space Cowboys" (with Clint Eastwood). The man was just born to entertain.RIP --- I'll miss him.I'll be playing "The Saga of Waco Williams" --- one of my favorite Maverick episodes --- later today.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Always enjoyable to watch. The same relaxed acting style as David Janssen. I always considered them variations on the same theme, as witness their two shows that premiered the same season: Rockford Files and Harry O. Both classics. For a mix of the two, look at Tom Selleck.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Coincidentally, I watched the Blu-ray of Duel at Diablo last night and was planning to write the review today. The news of his death has thrown me for a loop, even though I knew that he has not been in great health in recent years.

RIP Jimmy, and condolences to your family and fans.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ah crap I winced when I saw the news. Garner was one of my favorites, my father was a big fan of his too and loved The Rockford Files.

I watched The Great Escape a few weeks ago. I think I'll watch the movie Maverick as tribute.

R.I.P. Jim

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Richard V said:
Sad news for sure. I believe that leaves Sir Richard Attenborough as the sole surviving major star from that amazing cast of The Great Escape.
In addition to Leyton, there is also "Ashley-Pitt" - David McCallum

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Flashgear said:
Maverick and the Rockford Files are two of my favourite shows...and for me, I allways regarded James Garner as one of my favourite Film actors...James Stewart and Jack Lemmon being the others...they're all gone now...he should have been given a career achievement Oscar, at the very least.
First face that appeared in my head after I heard the news. Lemmon. 2 top flight actors who gave it all.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had just been watching perhaps my favorite television actor on The Rockford Files (Season One) and Maverick (Season Three) this week. This actor over the history of television left more fans smiling after watching a show featuring him than any other I can think of. You just knew you had spent some time in the company of a warm and charming human being who knew the secret to life was to not take everything so seriously. We all need more of that and I am eternally grateful to Mr. Garner for giving us so much of himself on screens large and small to remind us.

Please check out "The Americanization of Emily" if you haven't done so; his self-admitted favorite performance. Taking war less seriously is an even tougher nut, as we are constantly challenged, but what better way to help shame it's removal forever from this planet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks