What's new

James EMB 1000 subwoofer (1 Viewer)

MilesMM

Auditioning
Has anyone had a chance to demo the James EMB 1000? There have been some positive reviews however I've yet to hear/see any user reviews. I have one now and I'm comparing it to an SVS 25-31 PC+. As a newbie I'm fairly sure I don't have the subs properly calibrated. Nevertheless, the SVS sounds and feels much louder however this can be due in part to it being in a corner. The James due to it's small size is positioned between my fronts (Paradigm 60's V.3). The James "seems" a little leaner despite the gain being significanly higher than the SVS. For slam impact during a movie there is no comparison. That's nice but my usage leans much more to music (70%/30%). I listen mostly to classic jazz and R&B. The James seems more than up to that task. The wife prefers the size of the James however opinions cost $$. She isn't kicking in any so she doesn't have one. Any thoughts? Let's keep it simple for the new guy OK. Thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Miles

Welcome to the forum,

you have had a chance to demo the James. Not only that you have a real fine sub to compare it to. As I read your post, music is much more important to you than movies and you say the James is "more than up to that task".

Remember, the only opinion that counts is yours. Your wife likes the James better for asthetic reasons. You're happy with it, she's happy with it.

Only other consideration is down the line the James may not retain as much value since it is obscure. Sub should last 10 years. Value at that point probably won't matter.

I hope this helps. Don't worry about what other people think, you know what you like. Calibration does not seem to be the issue.

Artie

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
To be as fair as possible to both subs, you should try keeping their placement and calibration levels as close as possible to one another too.

Tom V.
SVS

CurtisSC

Screenwriter

This in itself has no bearing on the James being calibrated improperly. Break out the SPL meter and calibrate it. It sounds "leaner" because it is.

I have seen the James sub...and it is small, I do not see how it will be able to keep up with the SVS for higher levels of HT work. For music....who knows?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

To make any sort of comparison between two subs they must be exactly in the same place. Subs are very dependent on placement and output as well as room resonances will vary greatly with different placement.

I have heard the same sub sound very different when moved just a few feet.

MilesMM

Auditioning
Many thanks to Tom V. at SVS for providing me some "off forum" advise. I think I calibrated both subs correctly and have a very brief opinion. The James subwoofer is quite good and sounds very execellent with Charles Mingus, Coltrane and all my other jazz CD's. Nevertheless, the SVS sounds as equal to the task (with music) and kicks some serious a$$ with HT. Net net if I wnat to rip up the floor with mucho bass,,,,it's the SVS. Right now it comes down to size constraints. I wish more members in urban areas would provide their subwoofer opinions/solutions. You guys with the houses have it made. Pack up the bags kids,,,,we're moving to the burbs!

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The James is a fine sub, as you have already found out. A few here own some of their models, but hey don't get allot of bandwidth. The reviews are excellent for most models, but pricey.

Don't let the size fool you people, these are two very different designed subs. This is not to say one is better than the other for anything, movies, music, etc.

It a personal opinion/taste/SAF thing as always, and also in this case, size seems to be a major factor in your choosing.

As long as you tested both subs in the exact same positions, and they where calibrated equaly, make the choice that fits your needs best, both physicaly and $$$$$.
The James subs are not cheap and that is another factor I'm sure playing into the decision... So if the SQ for you is close, maybe some extra moma attention will allow you to get that slightly taller and less costly sub in the room! ;)

Regards
Geoff

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Will you be considering running some more evaluations with the James unit located in the corner?

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
If the size constraint is an important issue you might want to also give the ACI Force a test spin. It is around the size of the James but a lot less money and having heard it a lot, I love the sound quality. It can move a surprising amount of air for the size. The bigger SVS I'm sure can out play it for volume, but the Force may have enough output for you in a small, good looking package. (ACI customer service is the best in the business, just like SVS)

MilesMM

Auditioning
Chu - What sort of evaluations are you thinking of? I need to do it fast because the James goes back in a few days. Given my inexperience, a little guidance would be appreciate.

Tim - ACI. I never heard about them until your post. I did some quick research and it does sound interesting. From a cost perspective the Titan is more in line with the James. Can you provided more details of your experience with the ACI Force?

Sometime ago I read another post that suggested for powered subwoofers that one should turn off the receiver (set with an 80 hz crossover) as a means to judge how musical one sub is compared to another. If I recall,the post went on to suggest that the average user wouldn't be able to tell any significant differences between well made subs. Opinions?

Tim Ranger

Stunt Coordinator
Miles, I own a Titan and have a friend with a Force. He let me have the Force in my home for about 2 months. During that time we made many comparisons. Conclusion, they both sound equally excellent, the Titan just goes a bit louder.

I've tried listening to subs by themselves but hate it. Just doesn't do anything for me. For me, its all about having the sub be perfectly integrated. I don't want to hear the sub, I can stand it when I listen to s system and can hear the sub. I want to hear the music as a soundscape and the bass is just part of that. Most of the subs I auditioned stuck out. The only ones I've personally heard that make a perfect blend were the Aerial, some of the RELs, and the ACIs.

MilesMM

Auditioning
Tim,
I think my problem in the room acoustics. My sub is in the corner on one end of my room and the other side is essentially open as there are three open entryways (The room is 25x12x8H. My system is along one of the long walls and I sit on the opposite side.) I often can't help but localize my sub during loud movies and music with heavy bass lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks