What's new

James Dean Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
My guess is that the DVDs will be PAL. I bought the Doctor Zhivago Blu-Ray from the UK and disc 2 (which is a DVD) is PAL. That's the only Warner UK release I own which is a set that contains both a Blu-Ray and DVD, so that's the only precedent I have for my guess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Even if the bonus material DVD's will not play on my system, for the price difference between the UK and US releases I will still be purchasing this from Amazon.uk and just treating it as a "film-only" release. At less than $10 per movie, it's still an easy choice for me. have an Oppo SD-DVD player that is supposed to be able to play discs from other regions, but I have never tested it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
James Byron Dean
February 8, 1931 – September 30, 1955
James Dean Ultimate Collector’s Edition
East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause and Giant,
the Actor’s Only Films and All for Warner Bros.,
Now Remastered for their Blu-ray™ debut
Nov. 5

BURBANK, Calif., August 6, 2013 — When he died in 1955 at the age of 24 in a car crash, James Dean was mourned by millions of fans throughout the world. Despite only making three films – all of them for Warner Bros. – Dean became one of Hollywood’s most spectacular stars, and 50 years later still remains an internationally compelling force, an iconic image, and a cult favorite of timeless fascination.

On November 5, Warner Home Video will debut East of Eden, Rebel Without a Cause and Giant (a George Stevens production), remastered Blu-ray as the James Dean Ultimate Collector’s Edition – a limited and numbered six-disc set that boasts three feature-length documentaries about Dean’s life including James DeanForever Young, narrated by Martin Sheen; American Masters James Dean Sense Memories and George Stevens: A Filmmaker’s Journey. Packaged in a double-wide gift set, the collection also contains a 48-page photo book with behind-the-scene images and rare insight into each film. The Ultimate Collector’s Edition will sell for $99.98 SRP; each film will also be available as a stand-alone Blu-ray book for $27.98 SRP each.

All three films were 4k restorations from original camera negatives at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging (MPI). Due to color fading, the original camera negatives could no longer yield an acceptable photochemical print.

For Rebel Without a Cause, the stereo soundtrack was reconstructed from the magnetic soundtrack stripes of Cinemascope release prints. The film’s restoration was done by Warner Bros. in collaboration with The Film Foundation. Restoration funding was provided by Warner Bros., Gucci and The Film Foundation.
Details of the James Dean Ultimate Collector’s Edition

East of Eden (1955)
Based on John Steinbeck’s novel and directed by Elia Kazan, East of Eden is the first of three major films that make up James Dean’s movie legacy. The idol-to-be plays Cal, a wayward Salinas, California youth who vies for the affection of his hardened father (Raymond Massey) with his favored brother Aron (Richard Davalos). Playing off the haunting sensitivity of Julie Harris, Dean’s performance earned one of the film’s four Academy Award®nominations[1]. Among the movie’s stellar performers, Jo Van Fleet won the Oscar® for Best Supporting Actress (1955).

Special Features:

[*]Commentary by Richard Schickel
[*]"Forever James Dean" [1987 Documentary]
[*]"East of Eden: Art in Search of Life"
[*]Screen Tests
[*]Richard Davalos" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]"James Dean and Richard Davalos" [Wardrobe Test]
[/list]
"James Dean, Richard Davalos and Julie Harris" [Wardrobe Test]

[*]"James Dean and Lois Smith" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]"Lois Smith" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]"James Dean and Jo Van Fleet" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]"Jo Van Fleet" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]"Costumes and Production Design" [Wardrobe Test]
[*]Deleted Scenes
[*]3/9/1955 NYC Premier
[/list]

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)
In one of the most influential performances in movie history, Dean plays Jim Stark, the new kid in town whose loneliness, frustration and anger mirrored those of postwar teens – and still reverberates 50 years later. Natalie Wood (as Jim’s girl Judy) and Sal Mineo (as Jim’s tag-along pal Plato) were Academy Award® nominees[2] for their achingly true performances. Director Nicholas Ray was also an Oscar® nominee for this landmark film which was released less than one month after Dean’s fatal car crash.

Special Features:

[*]Commentary By Douglas L. Rathgeb
[*]Documentary "James Dean Remembered" [1974 TV Special]
[*]Documentary "Rebel Without A Cause: Defiant Innocents"
[*]Dennis Hopper Interview NEW!
[*]Screen Tests
[*]Wardrobe Tests
[*]Deleted Scenes
[*]"Behind The Cameras: Natalie Wood"
[*]"Behind The Cameras: Jim Backus"
[*]"Behind The Cameras: James Dean"
[*]Theatrical Trailers
[/list]

Giant (a George Stevens production) (1956)
Based on Edna Ferber’s best-selling family saga about a Texas family of ranchers and oilmen, Giant stars Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and Dennis Hopper. In his final film role, Dean stars as wrangler turned oil baron Jett Rink. Directed by the legendary George Stevens, this sprawling epic received ten Academy Award® nominations[3]including a Best Actor nod for Dean and earned Stevens a win for Directing (1956).

Special Features:

[*]Introduction by George Stevens Jr.
[*]Commentary by George Stevens Jr., Ivan Moffat and Stephen Farber
[/list]
· “George Stevens: Filmmakers Who Knew Him"

JAMES DEAN ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION BLU-RAY
Street Date: November 5, 2013​
Order Due Date: October 1, 2013​
Cat# 1000344422​
$99.98 SRP​
East of Eden Blu-ray Book
Cat# 1000339747​
$27.98 SRP​
Rebel Without a Cause Blu-ray Book
Cat# 1000341372​
$27.98 SRP​
Giant Blu-ray Book
Cat# 1000339738​
$27.98 SRP​
Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees, as well as directly to consumers through WBShop.com and WB Ultra.

About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a division of Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc., commands the largest home entertainment distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Video and New Line Cinema.

[1] 1955 (28th) ACTOR -- James Dean
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Jo Van Fleet
DIRECTING -- Elia Kazan
WRITING (Screenplay) -- Paul Osborn

[2] 1955 (28th) ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Sal Mineo
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Natalie Wood
WRITING (Motion Picture Story) -- Nicholas Ray

[3] 1956 (29th) ACTOR -- James Dean
ACTOR -- Rock Hudson
ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Mercedes McCambridge
ART DIRECTION (Color) -- Art Direction: Boris Leven; Set Decoration: Ralph S. Hurst
COSTUME DESIGN (Color) -- Moss Mabry, Marjorie Best
DIRECTING -- George Stevens
FILM EDITING -- William Hornbeck, Philip W. Anderson, Fred Bohanan
MUSIC (Music Score of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture) -- Dimitri Tiomkin
BEST MOTION PICTURE -- George Stevens and Henry Ginsberg, Producers
WRITING (Screenplay--Adapted) -- Fred Guiol, Ivan Moffat

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I see the special features on GIANT are lacking a little from the DVD edition. These are the ones that were on the DVD but are not listed for the Blu-ray. I hope it is just a listing oversight. If not I guess I'll have to hold on to the DVD for the Special Features, but certainly will be getting the Blu for the movie itself. "Memories of Giant""Return to Giant"New York premiere TV specialHollywood premiere and project kickoff newsreels2 Warner Bros. Presents behind the cameras featurettesPhoto and document galleriesI really enjoyed both "Memories Of Giant" and "Return to Giant" along with the New York Premiere TV Special.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
ahollis said:
I see the special features on GIANT are lacking a little from the DVD edition.These are the ones that were on the DVD but are not listed for the Blu-ray. I hope it is just a listing oversight. If not I guess I'll have to hold on to the DVD for the Special Features, but certainly will be getting the Blu for the movie itself."Memories of Giant""Return to Giant"New York premiere TV specialHollywood premiere and project kickoff newsreels2 Warner Bros. Presents behind the cameras featurettesPhoto and document galleriesI really enjoyed both "Memories Of Giant" and "Return to Giant" along with the New York Premiere TV Special.
I think previous UCE information has listed those Giant extras you mention.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well. I'm in for the UK version too. It's too good a price to pass up and a much better deal than the US release.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
schtan said:
I think previous UCE information has listed those Giant extras you mention.
I don't see them and the UK version does not list them either. I think they my be missing.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Interestingly, the UK version of this set has already dropped 3 pounds in price to £18.07 now - that's £15.06 without VAT, or around $23 US ($26 AUD) without postage. So what was already a great deal seems to be getting even better. I can't imagine too many people ordering the US set with this ever-growing price difference.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Persianimmortal said:
Interestingly, the UK version of this set has already dropped 3 pounds in price to £18.07 now - that's £15.06 without VAT, or around $23 US ($26 AUD) without postage. So what was already a great deal seems to be getting even better. I can't imagine too many people ordering the US set with this ever-growing price difference.
From the UK it's $28.14 shipped to the US.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Scott Merryfield said:
Does Amazon.uk have the same pre-order price guarantee as Amazon.com? I assume they do, but you know what happens when you assume...
Magical, wonderful things happen when you assume, so I've heard!

Actually, yes Amazon UK has a pre-order price guarantee.

Personally, I rarely pre-order Blu-rays (except for TT titles from SAE), and to date I haven't seen anything I want actually go up in price upon release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
From the UK it's $28.14 shipped to the US.
That is a friggin' AMAZING price for the set.

And with Amazon's Price Guarantee it can only get better.

So happy I decided to forego the U.S. release for the import.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Persianimmortal said:
Magical, wonderful things happen when you assume, so I've heard!

Actually, yes Amazon UK has a pre-order price guarantee.

Personally, I rarely pre-order Blu-rays (except for TT titles from SAE), and to date I haven't seen anything I want actually go up in price upon release.

Thanks. That is what I thought. In my case, I was actually thinking about the price going down, not up, since I have already placed an order with Amazon.uk, and it appears the price has dropped a little since then. No need to cancel and re-order, though, with Amazon's price guarantee.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I've also pre-ordered the set from the UK.

I wonder how much of a dint this will make in sales? Probably not much. I don't understand how WB's pricepoints between the US and the UK can be so different...

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Ronald Epstein said:
Is it the exchange rate or am I mistaken?
That accounts for part of it, but there's still a huge discrepancy. The list price of the US release is $99.99. I can't find the list price for the UK release, but whatever it is, it's currently being sold for under £20 on Amazon. Let's just say the UK list price is £35...with the conversion to US dollars, that's just under $55--almost half the US list price! It's a massive savings, and massive discrepancy. I don't understand how the two divisions can have such wildly different pricepoints for what it essentially the same product (okay, the UK version is missing the George Stevens documentary and is more compact, but still...)

I'm from Canada and am currently spending a year in London and am discovering that their Blu-rays and DVDs (especially sets like these) are priced MUCH lower than in North America--and that's taking into account the exchange rate. Now the cost of living (housing, food), not so much...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The UK set is missing the book, posters, and photos of the US set. The US set appears to be a big, elongated box. The UK set is not.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Steve Tannehill said:
The UK set is missing the book, posters, and photos of the US set. The US set appears to be a big, elongated box. The UK set is not.
According to this photo from Amazon UK the book, posters and photos are all included. The only difference seems to be the size of the box and the missing George Stevens documentary.

8117L8hvLOL._SL1500_.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Unless I am mistaken --- and I know I am playing a
game of "what is different about these two photos?,"
both sets look identical outside of the box.

U.S. Version (click on image for larger photo)

JDUS.jpg

UK Version (Click on image for larger photo)
JDUK.jpg

...which begs the question, how do they fit so
much shit in such a small box?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks