What's new

James Bond Ultimate Ed Framing Issues (1 Viewer)

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
These new Ultimate Editions are a massive disapointment. Not only did Lowry manage to mess up the Star Wars DVD clean up, they seem to have bodged most if not all of the Bond films also. All the films look like they are framed incorrectly, and have dubious colour timing.

Not a happy bunny.

I hope these issues are corrected for the R1 release, but im sure they wont.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I know a lot of people don't like to have this question asked here in the SD forum, but has Sony announced these for Blu-Ray? I don't have a Blu-Ray player now (and probably won't buy one for some time), but it'd be nice to know if these are coming out on BD so I don't buy them on SD first.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone know if Die Another Day got a new transfer? Just curious since it's a fairly recent release, though there was room for improvement in its transfer.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
WOW! That briefcase is really cool!

When did the set come out and what is the price?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Briefcase is definitely cool. Wonder though if it's only available in the U.K.,....and if there's a throwing dagger that slides out the side.

Yes, the HD question comes to my mind too so soon now with the release of this Ultimate set, this set will eventually appear on one of the HD formats. Is it definite it will Blu-Ray since it's a Sony owned Franchise now?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The new versions really ruined Goldeneye by zooming in so much. That's unforgivable. How could they make such a gross mistake?

Looks like they botched the opening sequence of License to Kill too.

RichardCrowther

Stunt Coordinator
OK - let's have a look at these (please note all this information ONLY applies to the R2 releases):

SUBTITLES/CAPTIONS:

For those wanting to know which films suffer from player-generated subtitles, the list seems to be as follows:

1)Goldeneye

2)Tomorrow Never Dies (though, as with the last release, the "HMS Devonshire" caption has been left burnt-in).

3)The captions in The World Is Not Enough are now burnt-in, but the translation subtitles during the sequence in which Elektra vows to the priest to send the pipeline around the shrine and not through it, are player-generated.

( NOTE - I would greatly appreciate it if someone with an R1 copy of this film could check their Special Edition and see if that version also had player-generated subtitles during that particular sequence.)

4)Die Another Day

The original r1 release of Goldeneye had burnt-in captions, therefore I would think the same will apply with the Ultimate Edition.

Films with burnt-in captions are as follows:

1)Live And Let Die

2)Licence To Kill

Films with missing captions:

1)Octopussy

2)The Living Daylights

Both these suffer the problems the initial R1 pressings suffered. Oddly, the original R2 releases never had this problem.

EDITS/PREVIOUSLY MISSING FOOTAGE:

A lot of misinformation seems to be circulating about what has and has not been reinstated. However, the ONLY films that R1 customers need to be concerned about are:

1)OHMSS, which now has the footage previously missing (because an incomplete print was used in all regions, not because of censorship) reinserted. The forthcoming R1 will doubtless be equally unexpurgated.

2)Licence To Kill - all regions were previously palmed off with American PG-13 rated cut, which was missing ten seconds worth of footage (Leiter's bloody stump flailing about in the water, the head explosion, a single shot of Dario being minced, and a shot during Sanchez's firey demise). All these shots have now been included in the R2 ultimate Edition, making this release first time the film has been released fully uncut in its original ratio anywhere in the world, to my knowledge. Certainly on disc. Again, I would imagine that those same shots will find their way on to the Ultimate R1 come November.

3)Die Another Day. The R2 has always had an uncut version of the love sequence between Jinx and Bond. The R1 is, apparently, edited (whether actual footage is removed, or just the sound of Jinx panting like crazy I don't know). Whether this edit stays on the r1 come November remains to be seen.

The, supposedly new, "uncut" status of Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies applies ONLY to the UK (though the initial R4 release of TND also utilized the old UK edit, presumably to save money). The R1 releases of these two films have always been uncut.

Despite now carrying a "12" certificate, A View To A Kill is the same cut as before - the higher certificate applies solely to one of the extras, which apparently warranted a "12".

Hope all of this helps. :D

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Richard, I'm confused. I thought that these scenes were already included in the previous R1 special edition of "Licence To Kill" (and, indeed, the Fox laserdisc). The DVD I have certainly contains more footage than the UK videotape release that I used to own...

About the subtitles/captains... BLAH!!! The player-generated ones look HORRIFIC and the fact that they're missing entirely from Octopussy and The Living Daylights in INEXCUSABLE.

Ok. Right. Let's not hang about for these mistakes to be repeated in R1 (and, make no mistake, they WILL be) followed by weeks of worry and possible recalls. What can we do NOW to bring this lot (missing/crappy captions, incorrect framing issues, missing mono tracks, etc) to MGM/Sony's attention before a) the discs are mass-produced and b) the same errors are transferred over to the inevitable Blu-Ray releases!

Can the HTF staff take something forward on members behalves please?

John

Daniel-M

Second Unit
When i first saw the R1 special Edition of Licence to Kill i was shocked when we didn't see Milton Krests head explode in the pressurechamber, a scene that is present in all TV-airings i have seen and the VHS i own. So it is present on this DVD then.

But it's sad that they lefit the mono-tracks of. i would rather have them than the Dolby Digital-track

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Have just bought the R2 UE of 'OHMSS', 'Diamonds are Forever' and 'Licence to Kill'.

Maybe it's me being stupid but I can't find the '007 - Licence to Restore' documentary on any of the discs.... Is it an Easter egg? Help would be appreciated!

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the reply Dale - I have a feeling I'll be getting them all eventually anyway. I'm very impressed with the three I have so far....

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
No problem Will.

I watched Dr. No this afternoon and was blown away by the colours & the blemish free transfer -- very happy with the set. The positives far out weigh the negatives for me personally.

Ben J Loews

Stunt Coordinator
The framing and colour balance issues make this set about as attractive as having severe root canal surgery.

What on earth were they thinking?

David Allen

Stunt Coordinator

Has it been confirmed that the R1 U.S. release will have the DTS tracks? It seems like so many releases offer DTS in the UK/elsewhere, but no DTS for the U.S. so that they can fit more bonus material and multiple languages (French, English, Spanish). Without DTS, there certainly would be room to include the original mono soundtracks. Hmmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks