James Bond Blu ray Collection - Volumes 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brent Avery, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars Stunt Coordinator

The European DVDs didn't have the mono tracks either, but the DVDs in North America did. I'm hoping the North American Blu-rays do. That would be a deal breaker.

2. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I hope our own Robert Harris has "A Few Words About..." these releases!

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Well I just cancelled the 3-pack order for FRWL, Thunderball and FYEO and just opted for Russia and Thunderball for now.

I already pre-ordered the individual releases of Dr No and Live and Let Die. No interest in owning Die Another Day.

4. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    According to a poster on blu-ray.com, the region A discs do have the mono tracks. But they are region A coded...

5. Will*B

Will*B Supporting Actor

Will

That is truly FANTASTIC news! I was already looking forward to these, and now that it's obvious they've put real effort into them, I'm looking forward to them even more!

I don't see how slight gripes about the packaging can influence the decision to purchase this or not... Oh well. If it was up to me, I wouldn't have to purchase the Brosnans, but MGM/Fox have done it this way since '99, so I'm not expecting them to shift strategy now.

6. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

I'm not speaking for everyone, but I just wanted to have the option to rearrange the discs into chronological order on my shelf. The lousy cardboard nonsense prevents this.

I'm still going to buy these sets - I held off on the UEs specifically so I could do so. But I'm going to have to print out custom covers for these Blus so I can display them the way I want to.

Probably sounds a bit silly, I suppose, but that's who I am. [​IMG]

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

It doesn't matter how the discs are coded, since they're worldwide releases. It does beg the question as to why Fox coded a worldwide release in the first place, though...

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Fox has always been paranoid about coding and piracy which doesn't really answer your question as it pertains to worldwide releases.

Crawdaddy

9. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Because its Fox and nothing else they do makes a whole lot of sense, so why should this? [​IMG]

For those of you who are bummed about the packaging, but really hate paying north of $20 a disc for BDs, Circuit City has some $15 off $100 coupons floating around the 'net. I ordered five of the Bonds (holding off on Die Another Day for now), which were $21.99 each (less than Amazon) before the coupon and $18.99 shipped afterwards (which is $0.33 more per disc than Amazon six pack). I'll gladly pay $0.33 each for a proper BD case.

10. Loregnum

Loregnum Stunt Coordinator

I'm down for these and couldn't care less how they are sorted/packaged.

11. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I think I've spent more on James Bond movies than any other series.... Beta, VHS, laserdisc, DVD and now blu ray. I do hope that all corrections have been made for this release, even though some point in the future I'll probably buy these yet again... 1440p anyone?

12. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

From what I've been reading, the errors affecting previous versions of these movies have been fixed - YAY.

The colour on Live And Let Die is fixed, the DTS cock-up during the motorboat sequence in Thunderball is fixed, and all the theatrical subtitles are in place!

I'm getting quite excited now.

Fingers tightly crossed that the mistakes on A View To A Kill (PQ), OHMSS (PQ/SQ) and Goldeneye (PQ) are fixed too! Sadly, it could be a while before we find out.

13. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I guess it all depends, but I would be willing to bet we see another six films released when Quantum of Solace hits home video, and another six or so next 4Q.

14. MattFini

MattFini Supporting Actor

The more I hear about these releases the more excited I am.

The box art is a total bummer, but it's really about the quality of the disc at the end of the day.

I'm with John here ... I've got my fingers crossed that all of the mistakes that hampered the UE set will be corrected here.

15. Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars Stunt Coordinator

What was that?

16. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

As described over at Blu-ray.com:

It was the scene where Bond tries to pretend the motor on his boat is dead. In the original film mix, he starts pretending to try and start the boat, but really he's just turning the key on and off rapidly, making the motor turn over only briefly. He then makes his way to the back of the boat and unplugs the motor. After, when he tries to start it again, all he gets is a dry click from the key being turned. In the new DTS mix, the unplugged motor is still turning over.

This has now (apparently) been fixed! :)

17. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

I think that's a pretty safe bet especially given the Blu-ray release for QoS.

18. Anthony D

Anthony D Extra

Does this mean that a Blu-Ray disc from Europe (if so coded) would play on a US Blu-Ray player without needing to convert to American standard (ie, PAL > NTSC)? Or do you still have to take into account the PAL>NTSC conversion?

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

To my knowledge there is no more NTSC or PAL where Blu-ray is concerned. The only thing that might keep you from playing a disc is if it is region coded.

20. Anthony D

Anthony D Extra

Thanks, Dave!

Has anyone seen the TV ads for these Blu-Ray sets? They're kinda neat!

Hope they make it to YouTube.