James Bond Blu ray Collection - Volumes 1 & 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brent Avery, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Thanks for the heads up on the price reduction. Yesterday I had debated whether I should just order the three Connerys for $29 or go for all six for $49. I ended up just going with the Connerys, but after hearing about the price reduction, I couldn't resist the other three for $10.

2. Jeff Brooks

Jeff Brooks Second Unit
    Supporter

Jeff Brooks
    Friggin great! I'm not that big on Bond, but at $6.66 each for Blu-ray, wow! Thanks for the heads-up! Did I see where someone said these might have movie cash for Quantum, too?

3. Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars Stunt Coordinator

So has anyone else noticed that the 5.1 mix on Thunderball is different from the previous DVD UE release and is in fact much closer to the surround mix on the 1996 laser disc and later AC-3 LD and first DVD? The overly loud sound effects leading to the SPECTRE meeting room heard on the UE are gone and the correct music plays as Bond first sees Domino swimming underwater. The window boxing for the main titles is different on the Blu-ray vs. the UE and I noticed a lot of little hairs all over this transfer and I didn't even watch the whole movie.

Oh, and I paid $14.94 for these at Amazon with their current deal and a $25 gift certificate.

4. John_S

John_S Stunt Coordinator

I can confirm that the new Samsung BD-P1500 firmware 2.1 released this week now allows "For Your Eyes Only" to be played successfully.

5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

Thanks for this information. I didn't even know there WAS a new firmware update.

6. Mark Hawley

Mark Hawley Second Unit

Thanks alot for the headsup!

I've installed it and it seems to be working fine!

Now I can start my traditional Decemember Bond movie marathon!

7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    I'm obviously coming late to this part of the discussion, but I am appalled at the packaging for the Blu-Ray sets. It's some of the worst I have ever seen. Those hubs are terrible - one of my discs was off the hub and arrived scratched, while another hub fell off altogether! No photos from the movies? Movie posters? Lame, terrible packaging.

I'm generally very disappointed in all Blu-Ray packages. I hate that all movies look like they come in video game packages; I hate the lack of inserts or booklets or even readable text on the back. If this is the product studios want us to pay a premium for, they are going to have to do better.

I will say that the content of the Bond BDs are quite nice. Nice restoration job, especially for movies that are 45 years old.

8. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I have watched Dr. No and FRWL so far, and the films look and sound spectacular!!

9. MielR

MielR Advanced Member

MielR
    Amazon has the next 3 Bond Blu-Ray steelbook editions up for pre-order now.

I've never seen the steelbook packaging- what is it exactly?

10. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Only the most over-hyped packaging ever. Oh, you wanted a description? [​IMG] In all honesty, the name says it all. The case is a steel book as opposed to a plastic keepcase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    That case actually looks cool. To bad they didn't do the first group of Bond movies with that style case. It would be kinda nice to have all 20+ James Bond movie collection. I am however looking foward to owning every James Bond movie in HD. Especially since I only own 12 Bond movies in SD-DVD.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    the first batch were in stellbooks only at best buy