What's new

Jailbreaking iPhone is now LEGAL! (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

Are there worthwhile apps to be loaded outside of iTunes? (and I'm ignoring pirated apps)

For most people? No. For some people, who are looking to say, test an application in real use it can be handy.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DaveF

THE BOTTOM LINE is that I'm tired of people discounting HTML5 as a viable open platform for iOS4 devices. It's there now, it works, its open, and it doesn't require you to JB your iPhone to use it. And the HTML5 apps are just going to get better and more sophisticated from this point forward.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
That's all well and true. But HTML5 apps can't access your GPS or your camera or your memory storage. So, there is that.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

That's all well and true. But HTML5 apps can't access your GPS or your camera or your memory storage. So, there is that.

I believe that Ajax-enhanced HTML5 apps have limited API call hooks available. Certainly, the new Google YouTube HTML5 app (which is far better than the included iPhone native YouTube app) seems to use "Location Services".

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Matt, I cynically doubt that those that 'trial' test apps ever actually decide to pay in full through iTunes.

Joseph, yes I've already created a few bookmarked safari pages & apps on my homescreen for convenience. These mostly don't feel like "apps" but they are handy.

And yes, Web apps can use gps services.

The heart of my questions are whether I would want to jailbreak my iPhone.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you don't tether, don't plan on running outside apps, and aren't planning on using it on a different carrier, there is no reason to jailbreak it.

If, however, you plan on switching to T-Mobile and run an SNES emulator (which is legit from several years ago now) then yes, you could Jailbreak it.

I'm just wondering if Apple would be willing to brick a bunch of phones over it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by mattCR

If you don't tether, don't plan on running outside apps, and aren't planning on using it on a different carrier, there is no reason to jailbreak it.

If, however, you plan on switching to T-Mobile and run an SNES emulator (which is legit from several years ago now) then yes, you could Jailbreak it.

I'm just wondering if Apple would be willing to brick a bunch of phones over it.
Untrue, I didn't use any of that stuff but did j my iphone, btw jailbreak and unlock are two different things, not necessarily connected, anyway i used many apps and addons from the j store Cydia, including something that allowed 5 apps on the bottom bar not only the usual 4, and a settings page that popped up just from a swipe on the status bar accessible at anytime when using the iphone.

Tweaking the look of the apps and pages is a big deal too on jb iphone.

Howardforums.com has an entire section on this as does macrumors.com.

I jb my phone a few months ago and wished I did it a long time ago. I had to restore the original os back on because I had to take it in for service and unfortunetly I may not be able to jb the new iphone i'm being sent.

look it up there are many things jb can do besides the ones mentioned in the previous post.

lyly10388

Auditioning
Real Name
Lyly L
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

Yeah, but if you do that at this time you'll have to give up 3G ...

I think the biggest benefit is tethering. For me, that's not enough of an incentive to give up the ease of use of iTunes and MobileME integration.

A lot of the "JB" apps could be simulated with Ajax-enhanced HTML 5 which would run on a non-JB iPhone. Google does this now with "Voice" and GCal (among others). I just don't get the allure of a JB'ed iPhone.

Now with Android, I get it: It allows the end-user to ditch the manufacturer-supplied UI and run straight Android (like the new highly-praised 2.2 "Froyo".) But for the iPhone I just don't see the necessity.

I also think so.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Don't know, just know that I like what I can do with my iphone after jb.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
all of what?

Sam sounds like you're baiting me. You aren't aware of what jb does?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, I'm WELL aware of what jailbreaking does. I'm asking has making it legal made it any better? In the sense that repealing prohibition made acquiring alcohol better.

As far as I can tell it has NOT, in any way. Can you show me where it has?

I'm not baiting you, I'm genuinely interested. I used to be an 'open' fanatic but have tempered that with the understanding that having a closed system DOES have advantages that the average user REALLY REALLY REALLY likes and effectively trump the open advantages which HAVE NOT proved themselves over time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It hasn't made it better because if the iphone goes kablooey and you can't restore it to factory, you're outta luck.

Apple will say "VOID".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks