Jackie Chan's New Police Story DVD not OAR?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Johnny G, Apr 22, 2006.

1. Johnny G

Johnny G Supporting Actor

According to imdb.com this movie was shot in 2.35:1 but the sites I can find that show a ratio including rottentomates.com & dvdplanet.com say 1.85:1 so is the DVD Pan & Scan or zoomed & cropped or neither?

imdb.com also says it used Super 35 so maybe you see virtually the whole frame if it is 1.85:1 but either way, if the director shot it with 2.35:1 in mind, it's not how it should be shown.

2. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

And more importantly, is it cut or altered in any way from the original HK version?

3. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

I want to see this really bad.

Has anyone heard if they'll release the original Police Story trilogy, or Quadrilogy if you count Supercop, in a set, or at least individual releases in America? I love those movies so much... I'd appreciate any help.

Ryan

4. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

You could always go region free (literally since the set I'm about to talk about is Region 0) to obtain the Police Story Trilogy. You could even get the complete series (of which has the UNCUT original longer Cantonese versions of Police Story; Police Story II; Police Story III: Supercop and New Police Story) from www.yesasia.com
    Why wait for Miramax to release these uncut when IVL/Fortune Star (for the Trilogy which is NTSC) and Joy Sales (for the Special Edition of New Police Story also in NTSC) already have both of these?
    I'm not giving Lionsgate any of my money for New Police Story when there's a handy 2-Disc Special Edition as already mentioned from Joy Sales.
    Both are Region 0 NTSC. To hell with the Region 1 Editions.

Here're some thumbnailed images for the Police Story Trilogy Boxset from IVL/Fortune Star:

[​IMG]
    ^The Trilogy Boxset

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ^How the titles look.

And here're some thumbnails for New Police Story: Special Edition (by the way, it's only connection to the previous series is in title only and Jackie Chan) from Joy Sales.

[​IMG]

I have absolutely no idea as to how to get the uncut Cantonese version of Police Story IV: First Strike though since it has gone out of press...[​IMG]

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Stunt Coordinator

My screener copy is definitely 2:35 and contains both English and Cantonese soundtracks...So there you go....

Jeffrey

6. Random Hero

Random Hero Second Unit

A friend of mine rented it through Netflix a month ago. Apparently, it's the HK uncut disc, but probably imported through Tai Seng or something.

7. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

Is the cantonese soundtrack completely in cantonese? The HK disc's cantonese soundtrack has a mix of both english and cantonese.

8. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Meaning it has some characters speaking both English and Cantonese?[​IMG]

9. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The bad guys in the film are youths with a clear mastery of English. For the most part, they speak Cantonese, but occasionally speak English, particularly if they want to punctuate something with English slang.

Also, Jackie's side-kick occasionally likes to shout out "That's my man!" when Jackie goes into full fight mode.

My DVD is 2.35:1 with a Cantonese DTS-ES track. It's the all-region disc from Joy Sales, a Hong Kong DVD company. I can't speak to the Netflix disc.

-Lyle J.P.

10. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

Yeah it's the Joy Sales disc i own as well.i was just wondering if the Lionsgate disc had the film with one soundtrack completely in cantonese and one completely in english.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Did it have the sequence with Jackie juggling multiple telephone receivers? That is usually cut out of the North American edits.

Regards,