What's new

Interview Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit - The Covert Espionage Experience (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit Covert Espionage Experience Event
Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit Blu-ray Cover.jpg

In anticipation of the Blu-ray release of Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, Home Theater Forum was invited to a press event in downtown Los Angeles on June 3rd. This event, the Covert Espionage Experience, involved a number of journalists including myself in an operation where we were assigned targets for surveillance out on the streets near the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. The journalists, or “recruits”, were split into three groups, each performing covert surveillance on different individuals who met up at different points along the way during the exercise.
The event began at the Marriott Hotel, where we attended a roughly 90 minute briefing on “Surveillance 101” as led by Luke Bencie of Security Management International (SMI), and introduced by Jon Monett and Michael Sulick. Once we had the basics down of how an ABC group formation can keep eyes on a moving target, we were broken up into our three separate group. I was assigned to the group led by Michael Pastirik of SMI (and formerly of the CIA). We were issued walkie-talkies and surveillance headsets, and then ventured forth onto the sidewalk by L.A. Live to follow our target from there to FIDM and back. Following the conclusion of our exercise, all the various instructors gathered together to answer a few informal questions from the journalists.
JACK RYAN Spy Day 1 Resized.jpg

JACK RYAN Spy Day 2 Resized.jpg

JACK RYAN Spy Day 3 Resized.jpg

The following video should provide a good overview of both the initial briefing and of the Q&A that followed our “operation”:
Following the exercise and the Q&A, I was also given the opportunity to conduct interviews with actor Nonso Anozie, and with retired CIA operative Marti Peterson and retired CIA Director of the National Clandestine Service (NCS) Michael Sulick.My discussion with Nonso Anozie didn’t cover much about Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, as his character only appears briefly. But I did take the time to ask him questions about his work on stage as King Lear (the youngest man to play the role), and his work with directors Sir Kenneth Branagh and Joe Wright. We didn’t have a lot of time to talk, but we did manage to get into his work in Atonement, where he participated in what may be the longest Steadicam shot in history.
My discussion with Marti Peterson and Michael Sulick was a bit more general, covering their reaction to the way the Jack Ryan films as a whole deal with the idea of an analyst as operative.
Looking at the event in total, this was an interesting way to immerse journalists into the world of covert operations and surveillance – a way to quite literally walk in the shoes of CIA recruits for a few hours. On behalf of Home Theater Forum, I thank Paramount, SMI and everyone involved for inviting us to the event. Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on June 10th. Interested readers can check out a promotional website that may give them a taste of the Covert Espionage Experience themselves: http://www.shadowrecruittraining.com
Photos on this page were taken by Casey Rodgers/Invision for Paramount Home Media Distribution/AP Images. Clips provided courtesy of Paramount Home Media Distribution. The names of the participants may or may not correspond with one of their actual identities...

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sounds like an interesting event. I'm looking forward to watching Shadow Recruit this week. Thanks for attending Kevin and sharing the event with us.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Thanks Kevin. Sounds like it was a good time. I really enjoy the Jack Ryan films, so looking forward to this one.

ABaglivi

Second Unit
Real Name
Anthony
Just watched the new blu from Target. It looks and sounds great, was very entertaining, and was offered at great price ($13 for three discs).

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I saw this upon release but don't actually remember it :eek: At one point I was confusing it with the last Jason Bourne film. Funny how all these movies are starting to look alike to me.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
cineMANIAC said:
I saw this upon release but don't actually remember it :eek: At one point I was confusing it with the last Jason Bourne film. Funny how all these movies are starting to look alike to me.
I actually thought it was a combination of Jason Bourne and Mission Impossible. Do people really want more films like this?

Real Name
Roger
I saw this during it's theatrical release and my thoughts were that they've dumbed down the series a bit in comparison with the original three films to cater to attention deficient younger generation, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Jack Ryan has always been one of my favourite characters and it was good to see this reboot.

I read that the film skewed "old" as in more over 40's saw it than the under 30 age group which has concerned the studio and that it grossed more overseas rather than the states, so another film might not be forthcoming, which is a shame because it's made it's money back and then some.

It's amusing that studios cater so much to the younger under 30 age group, when good money can be made on films that cater to an older crowd, look at the success of Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, Last Vegas and Quartet have had recently. It just goes to show that money can be made if the studios make something that appeals to an older age group. Obviously the studios are looking for the money made from film tie in "toys" as well :)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Paul Rossen said:
I actually thought it was a combination of Jason Bourne and Mission Impossible. Do people really want more films like this?
I absolutely will not waste £20.00 money on this.
I'd sooner play THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER on DVD or Clear and Present Danger on Dolby AC-3 THX laserdisc or maybe Patriot Games, The Sum of all fears? Maybe the opening titles with Jerry Goldsmith, then switch it off.

No more Bourne or Ryan films for me thank you.

Captain Kirk has time travelled back to bring some whales back to the future.

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Helvetica, Arial, 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif;]
10435989_10152510706940149_942831135773605785_n.jpg
[/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks