Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit Review

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Yavin, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Yavin

Yavin Stunt Coordinator

Ben Mk
    3.5 out of 5.

Here's my full review.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Won't lie, I grew up reading the Jack Ryan novels while in college, and enjoyed most of the films in the franchise.

While I liked the updating of Jack Ryan in today's times, I felt this film, as a re-introduction to a new film audience, moved a little too briskly, a little too by-the-numbers for my liking. So the script was the weak point for me. Kenneth Branaugh's direction (and acting) was okay, nothing special. I didn't mind Chris Pine's take on Jack, nor even Keira Knightley as Cathy, but I guess I wanted a wider cast of characters to lend a little credibility to the "origin" story. It would have been sort of cool to have a slightly younger Kevin Costner in the John Clark role for later installments in the Jack Ryan franchise, instead of Harper, the guy who keeps tabs on Jack's promise after his military career takes a detour.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

3. Tommy R

Tommy R Second Unit

Tommy
    Saw it today, and probably my least favorite of the 5 Jack Ryan films. Not that I didn't like it, it was a nice little flick. But it by far had the least amount of OOMPH, if you know what I mean. Plus it gives into the shaky-cam crap of the last decade during the action scenes. Overall though, it really was a fun watch. Was dreading it being as horrible as last years Die Hard 5, and was pleasantly surprised. I'd give it an even B. And I feel a little bad when I think that they probably won't be making a follow-up, since I really liked the Pine-Knightly-Costner trio. With better scripts, I think they could've made a really cool franchise out of this film's foundation. Oh well, back to another 10+ years of no Jack Ryan films and never ending false starts for a Without Remorse film. :(

4. andySu

andySu Cinematographer

I've not put this on the bluray list for the reasons it just looks like waste of money sat on the shelf and would be least watched.

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER was great in Dolby SR at the cinema when projector that. :)

5. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    Dull and uninspired with Keira Knightly looking uncomfortably miscast. Only bright spot was Kenneth Brannaghs performance. I would give it ** out of ****