What's new

Jack Ryan Series SE Announced (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Well, now I have a good excuse to get rid of the stinking bootleg SoAF that someone pawned off on me. Stupid eBay.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
This is f'n GREAT news. :D

Martin thanks for any help you put into this effort!

As Sean said, thank God I waited. Now if we could only get Buena Vista to re-release CRIMSON TIDE as an anamorphic Special Edition!

Only thing bad is the 4 pack, I already bought SUM OF ALL FEARS, since it was anamorphic. Wish they'd market a 3 pack of the older titles reissued only. But I'll scour the web and the roundup and try to get all 3 for 30 to 40 dollars, I hope.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I never bought any of these movies but now that they are being re-released in anamorphic video and DTS... I have a real good excuse to buy them up!!

With the completion of my HT room nearing very soon... this will make for awesome intros to break in the room nicely!

;)

Bernhard

Stunt Coordinator
The Hunt for Red October...
dts...
new anamorphic transfer...
director's commentary...

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a while since I've been that excited about a DVD announcement, I've been waiting for this since the first release!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Been patiently waiting to buy Hunt for Red October until they remastered it. Great news! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: !!

CraigL

Screenwriter
Robert...

Take a look at my post again.

I'm not complaining.

Re-read and then we'll talk :)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Good news indeed. Thanks Paramount. I'll be getting the first three for sure.

Regards,
Dan

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The other good news is with Paramount offering these as a box or individually, (something they also did with Sat. Night Fever, Grease, et al), maybe they'll do the same with Indiana Jones.;)

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
YESSS!!! I've been patiently waiting for these to come out! It was trying...I almost picked them up when they got cheap, but I managed to restrain myself.

These are so mine when they come out...and priced right to boot...and only 19.99 a piece. This is too good to be true.

Oh yeah, and I already got Sum of All Fears for Christmas. I rather liked it myself, but then again I've always been a Ben Affleck fan.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Wait, so if I want to not purchase them seperately, I have to get SoaF again! Bah!

Based on the popular novels by Tom Clancy, all four espionage thrillers come with extras. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER: SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION contains:

Commentary by director John McTiernan

Featurette "Beneath the Surface" - new cast and crew interviews (with Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones, screenwriter Larry Ferguson and producer Mace Neufeld)

Theatrical trailer

Widescreen version enhanced for 16:9 televisions

Dolby Digital English 5.1, DTS Surround, French Stereo, English and Spanish sub-titles
PATRIOT GAMES: SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION contains:

Featurette "Patriot Games Up Close" - new cast and crew interviews (interviews with Harrison Ford, Anne Archer, James Earl Jones, producer Mace Neufeld, director Phillip Noyce, associate producer Lis Kern and screenplay writer W. Peter Iliff)

Theatrical trailer

Dolby Digital English 5.1, DTS Surround, French Stereo, English and Spanish sub-titles
CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER: SPECIAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION contains:

Featurette "Behind the Danger" - new cast and crew interviews (interviews with Harrison Ford, Anne Archer, James Earl Jones, Henry Czerny, Miguel Sandoval, Joaquim de Almeida, Donald Moffatt, producer Mace Neufeld and director Phillip Noyce).

Theatrical trailer

I dont know. Besides the DTS sound, those dont really sound like real SE's. One featurette does not equal an SE. But then again, I really wouldnt mind DTS. Such a tough choice.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't care about DTS, but I am psyched to see they're all 16:9 encoded.

And the upgrading doesn't really hurt, since I don't have Patriot Games and got the other two back when 800.com was doing that 3/$1 offer.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
*jumps up and down with joy*

The Hunt for Red October is one of my favorite movies and it was one of the first DVDs I purchased (might have even been the first, can't quite remember) when I started building my collection a little over three years ago. I've been waiting for an anamorphic HFRO ever since

Off to get rid of my HFRO DVD (along with Star Trek IV :) ) in preparation for the rereleases.... I'd buy the box set, but I already have SoaF (picked it up cheap during the last Blockbuster sale).

Dave C

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
:emoji_thumbsup: on The Hunt For Red October.

I held off buying this (my wife almost got it on several occasions but I convinced her otherwise) hoping for a true update on DVD. I already had the laserdisc so I basically had the same transfer.

16x9 is the deal maker - DTS is just a plus, a big plus.

Joel

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
Already have HFRO (R2 anamorphic) and SOAF and although Hunt doesn't have the "featurette" or the DTS track, I doubt either will make it worth repurchasing. I might if the "remastered" transfer is an obvious improvement. If I do that will be the third time (damn! 3 Die Hards, 3 Predators, 3 HFRO's this DVD rebuying thing is getting to be a bit much)
I can't really see the DTS tracks on films this old being that much of an improvement over the DD5.1..we'll see.
I guess I'll finally get round to buying the other 2. I just hope CC or BB offer them for a lot less than $19.99. They don't sound THAT good.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I will get at least The Hunt For Red October, not sure about the other two though

Now bring on Indy

:emoji_thumbsup:

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
File this under "It's About Fricken' Time". :emoji_thumbsup: Very excited about this re-release of a fine set of movies. I agree with the above statement that the new video master is what really grabs me. Nice job Paramount (too bad I need to order from the US to get the original cover art vs. the bilingual Canadian version).

Rob T

Screenwriter
Nice job Paramount (too bad I need to order from the US to get the original cover art vs. the bilingual Canadian version).
I find it's much cheaper to buy them here then replace the cover art with scans from DVDcoverart.com. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks