What's new

Jack Reacher (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Home Theater Forum meet attendees had the opportunity to preview Jack Reacher back in October with the condition that we not talk about it until December. Paramount is expecting it to be their next Tom Cruise franchise and after watching it I think they are onto something.

The film was based on One Shot one of many Jack Reacher books by Lee Child (Jim Grant). I heard some members mention that in the books Jack Reacher is a very large six foot plus man and they were wondering how that would work with Tom Cruise. I think he nails the role as written in the film. He plays the role with the right blend or mysteriousness, humor and kick-ass. The rest of the cast was great too, including a minor role by Robert Duvall.

The start of the film was a little disturbing as we watch a sniper evaluate seeming random people through a scope and kill several of them. The chief suspect asks only for Jack Reacher during his interrogation, a mysterious character who hasn't left a clue to his whereabouts for over two years. As he pulls back the layers of the crime during his investigation, we start to pull back his layers for a great introduction to a character we will be seeing more of in future films. A combination of an investigative drama and an action adventure with some comedic zingers thrown in for good measure Jack Reacher is a summer blockbuster wrapped up under the tree for Christmas.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tom Cruise is trying to get the "Jack Reacher" franchise up and running, and the first installment is a little on the underwhelming side. Jack is a loner ex-military guy who used to do military investigations on servicemen and now finds himself summoned by a defense attorney, played by Rosemund Pike, to prove her client didn't gun down a handful of innocent bystanders with a long-range rifle. It doesn't help things when the client is an ex-sniper from the army with a questionable past in the military. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed "Jack Reacher", and I still find him to be a good writer, but an okay director. But saying that, some plot turns to get to the chase sequences seemed too coincidental to keep the plot moving. There are some supremely loud rifle shots in the film. The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.
I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/325902/jack-reacher#post_4011681
Tom Cruise is trying to get the "Jack Reacher" franchise up and running, and the first installment is a little on the underwhelming side. Jack is a loner ex-military guy who used to do military investigations on servicemen and now finds himself summoned by a defense attorney, played by Rosemund Pike, to prove her client didn't gun down a handful of innocent bystanders with a long-range rifle. It doesn't help things when the client is an ex-sniper from the army with a questionable past in the military. Christopher McQuarrie wrote and directed "Jack Reacher", and I still find him to be a good writer, but an okay director. But saying that, some plot turns to get to the chase sequences seemed too coincidental to keep the plot moving. There are some supremely loud rifle shots in the film. The pairing of Cruise and Pike held very little in the chemistry department.
I give it 2.66 stars, or a grade of C+/B-.
2.66 stars. Not 2.5 or 2.75 . Will probably watch it again later this month after its released.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I heard a few mixed feelings on it as we left the theater but I really enjoyed it. I liked the music and the surround track too. Overall I'd give it at least a B and want to thank Paramount for the early screening, that was a real treat!
I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how theater audiences react to the opening sequence. I think there could be a backlash against it. I can't remember any other sniper sequence really touching a nerve like how this one did me. I love horror and suspense films but am generally hard to frighten in a film. This sequence really moved me tho, it was almost too real.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I enjoyed it, too, and I look forward to seeing it again with friends who I'm pretty sure are going to like it just fine.

You know what I really liked? Seeing it two months early in a magnificent theater -- where, as far as I could tell, everything was executed to perfection. Gotta love studios -- they do know how to show a film.

(Most of the time!)

Seriously, thanks to Paramount for an overall great visit.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I would have rather it had been rated R, it felt too tame, but it seemed like it was cut to garner a PG-13 rating to maximize the box office take. I wished Richard Jenkins had more to do. There was an actress that just seemed so star-struck in all of her scenes with Cruise, too.
I would like to thank Paramount for showing us the film in October, that was an unexpected treat. I just wished I liked the film better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I disagree with Patrick too and thought this was a good action film with a grade of "B". In a lot of ways, I enjoyed it more than the last MI film.

Crawdaddy

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/325902/jack-reacher#post_4011949
I would have rather it had been rated R, it felt too tame, but it seemed like it was cut to garner a PG-13 rating to maximize the box office take. I wished Richard Jenkins had more to do. There was an actress that just seemed so star-struck in all of her scenes with Cruise, too.
I would like to thank Paramount for showing us the film in October, that was an unexpected treat. I just wished I liked the film better.
I had to double check the rating after your post. I assumed with the opening scene that it was an R.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
They always cut away from the actual damage being inflicted upon by the bullets, but show them go through inanimate objects. It's a fairly standard way to tame such scenes down to get the movie down to a PG-13 rating if the violence is basically implied, thus avoiding the R rating.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun /t/325902/jack-reacher#post_4013012
They always cut away from the actual damage being inflicted upon by the bullets, but show them go through inanimate objects. It's a fairly standard way to tame such scenes down to get the movie down to a PG-13 rating if the violence is basically implied, thus avoiding the R rating.
From the blood/gore/violence perspective I can see how it is "tamer', but that scene had a big emotional impact. I agree with Sam describing it as "touching a nerve"

Andy_Munich

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
My user ID is a clever riddle!
I just hope that one day, when I really need the help, I'll be able to enlist the aid of an incredibly competent and loyal old sharp shooter whom I've just met hours before.
Or I'll just call up Rich!
(Please don't kill me, Mr. Gallagher)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
To be honest, these type of movies generally do not excite me. So I went into this movie with very little expectations.
Having said that, I actually found myself enjoying it. The music and sound were almost an extra character. There were enough twists to keep it from feeling too formulaic and it certainly kept me interested for the entire movie.
Cruise did a pretty good job of making me believe his skills. I think his biggest problem is not his fault, it is genetics. I just can't help but noticing how short he is, or how the camera angles etc. were set up to hide his height. I know that is not fair, but since he is supposed to be playing a bad-ass it sort of doesn't sit right with me.
Overall I would give it a 4 out of 5. I enjoyed it and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who likes the Spy/Action/Crime stuff.
I really want to thank Paramount for allowing us to see this 2 months early. It was certainly a bonus/treat. It definitely made me feel like they appreciated us.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Chris Will said:
Honestly, I don't see the connection, is there a scene of a school shooting in the movie or something?
No, however, there is a scene in which multiple people get shot with some young children in harm's way.
Crawdaddy

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Chris Will said:
Honestly, I don't see the connection, is there a scene of a school shooting in the movie or something?
Robert Crawford said:
No, however, there is a scene in which multiple people get shot with some young children in harm's way.
Crawdaddy
I enjoyed the movie when we were at Paramount and I really appreciate the studio showing us the film, but I think Paramount is doing the right thing here. It makes sense to show sensitivity and respect and wait awhile on the premiere. From what I remember about the opening of the movie it was very unsettling to watch.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Trailers are now being re-edited. The news made it seem like the movie was going to be red-edited. Really do hate toss news teasers.
I really didn't like the movie. The opening scene of the sniper is uneasy to watch, even more so now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks