Jack & Bobby ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Ed Faver, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

Did anyone notice the DVD of the premiere episode of this series in the 9/10/04 issue of Entertainment Weekly? I gave it a look last night and came away impressed. It's on the WB on Sundays & I think I am going to give it a chance.

Anyone else watch it?

2. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Was that magazine in the mail or in a store?

3. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I got a copy of a "Extra" Fall TV Preview. Is this the one. I thought it would just show clips not entire episodes.
    Can someone confirm if this is the one that you received to see the episode of Jack and Bobby?

4. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

I got the copy in the mail on my EW. I liked it, solid show, I'll be checking it out.

WB is obviosly putting a lot of $$ behind this show hoping for it being its big hit this year, they may have a winner.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Interesting. I just got that issue today in the mail, and there is no DVD in it, unless there is some new type of flexi-DVD that I couldn't detect by rolling up the magazine.

I wonder if it only went to a random sample of subscribers. Nice reward for subscribing for many years (sort of like the way the renewal rates they offer me are always higher than I can get thru Publishers Clearing House).

Any other subscribers get the mag without the DVD?

Anyway, does this show have something to do with the Kennedys? That's what the title made me think of.

6. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I tried it last night and it was just previews of the upcoming fall shows. It had no menu to choose episodes or anything. It wa just annoying.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

No, this is not about the Kennedy clan. It's about 2 brothers, and one of them becomes president in 2041.

My issue of EW had a DVD in it, but it appeared to just be a previews DVD. I haven't popped it into my DVD player yet.

8. LizH

LizH Second Unit

I can't see how they'll be able to stretch the premise (Young boy grows up to be President) over five seasons.

I can't help but be reminded slightly of "Smallville" (Young boy is destined for greatness.)

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The DVD is just a standard episode of "Extra" highlighting the Fall shows. Nothing to get very excited about, unless you collect episodes of that show.

10. Michael St. Clair

My EW had no disc, but it still had the plastic 'wrapper' for the disc sealed up!

Anybody else get this?

11. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

The most recent issue has the upcoming preview disc. The issue previous to this one had the entire Jack and Bobby pilot in it. I've heard that quite a few people didn't get that DVD in that particular issue. I don't know if it's just the subscribers who have a chance of getting one, but I do know of at least three other subscribers (including myself) who got the Jack and Bobby disc...

12. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Longtime subscriber here - didn't get one.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Me too, no J&B DVD for me, and I be a 3-4 year subscriber to EW as well.

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I am calling C.S now to see what the criteria was. I have been a subscriber for over 10 years and take polls for them on a periodic basis so you would think that would count for something.
    It premieres next week but it is the princible.

15. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Another thread on this in the TV Shows forum...

16. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I'm a frickin' charter subscriber, and I didn't get one. There was an air freshener insert instead. So I borrowed a friend's, who has only started subscribing recently. I did get the basically worthless Extra preview DVD the next week though.

Good show. In the fall preview article, they mention that they switched which brother would become president so when I was watching it, I thought they were going to go one way, but when they revealed the answer, I thought it was sort of the more conventional choice.

17. LizH

LizH Second Unit

The premise sounds intriguing ...

I'm not sure they can sustain it for five seasons, though. o.O

18. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I watched the premiere, and enjoyed it. Thank goodness they went ahead and let the audience know which brother would become president (it'd be too cute to be ambiguous about it for more than a couple of episodes, anyway).

I'll be tuning in, though the flashbacks might be giving away too much of the characters' fates for my liking.

19. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm not a West Wing watcher but were a few of the actors from that show used in the interviews?

I enjoyed it - premise and presentation. It was kind of fun trying to figure out which would be the president, but I agree it would have gotten old past the pilot.

20. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think some West Wing producers are involved with the show (along with Everwood producers).