J&R $5.99 MGM Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Vince Maskeeper, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Lead Actor

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...romos/Movie04/

Several classics on this list I've been meaning to pick up for years (Pelham 123, Magnificient 7, etc).

Anyone have thoughts on which ones of these that might not be a good buy, like:

Showgirls - SE available
    Great Escape - SE available
    Escape from New York - SE available
    Midnight Clowboy - Nonanamorphic
    Windtalkers - Deluxe SE available
    the Producers - Se available
    Annie Hall - Nonanamorphic
    Dead Man Walking - Nonanamorphic
    Taking of Pelham 123 - Nonanamorphic

Any other ones we should be concerned about (non-anamorphic or have been reissued as SE)? 12 Angry men is non-anamorphic, but 1.66:1, so it's a toss up.

-V

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I've never seen a western, but am interested in The Magnificent Seven and Hang 'Em High. Though the link says "The Magnificent Seven" the picture shows "Guns of the Magnificent Seven." http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3782377

Which do you think it actually is?

3. Vince Maskeeper

Everything but the picture is correct, including the UPC... so I assume it's the The Magnificent Seven.

Even if you don't like westerns (i'm not much of a fan myself)-- this film is excellent. Really the first that put a more human face on the gunfighter: rather than the cut and dry good/bad guy these characters are real, troubled and flawed.

There is a scene where several of the guys discuss the appeal of their lifestyle and even let on that they have regrets in their choices... for its era, a very progressive piece.

-V

4. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

Vince, I thought Escape from New York - SE was pretty good. Nice video quality, and the audio mix seemed quite decent.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Yes YEs, The SE is great, however my point was the title listed for $5.99 was not the SE, rather the initial release. So, if you are someone who doesn't like to buy a bare-bones version when a SE exists- I was just pointing out Escape from NY had a SE so the 5.99 version was not that good of a deal...

-V

6. Jon W H

Jon W H Stunt Coordinator

Oops, my bad. I completely forgot there was a bare bones version in the first place.