What's new

J&R $5.99 MGM Sale (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc...romos/Movie04/

Several classics on this list I've been meaning to pick up for years (Pelham 123, Magnificient 7, etc).

Anyone have thoughts on which ones of these that might not be a good buy, like:

Showgirls - SE available
Great Escape - SE available
Escape from New York - SE available
Midnight Clowboy - Nonanamorphic
Windtalkers - Deluxe SE available
the Producers - Se available
Annie Hall - Nonanamorphic
Dead Man Walking - Nonanamorphic
Taking of Pelham 123 - Nonanamorphic

Any other ones we should be concerned about (non-anamorphic or have been reissued as SE)? 12 Angry men is non-anamorphic, but 1.66:1, so it's a toss up.

-V

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Everything but the picture is correct, including the UPC... so I assume it's the The Magnificent Seven.

Even if you don't like westerns (i'm not much of a fan myself)-- this film is excellent. Really the first that put a more human face on the gunfighter: rather than the cut and dry good/bad guy these characters are real, troubled and flawed.

There is a scene where several of the guys discuss the appeal of their lifestyle and even let on that they have regrets in their choices... for its era, a very progressive piece.

-V

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Vince, I thought Escape from New York - SE was pretty good. Nice video quality, and the audio mix seemed quite decent.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Yes YEs, The SE is great, however my point was the title listed for $5.99 was not the SE, rather the initial release. So, if you are someone who doesn't like to buy a bare-bones version when a SE exists- I was just pointing out Escape from NY had a SE so the 5.99 version was not that good of a deal...

-V

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
Oops, my bad. I completely forgot there was a bare bones version in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks