What's new

I've just recently started browsing other people's home theater's and...... (1 Viewer)

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

Yea, cause of my sectional, which is over 9 feet in both directions, moving the main seating up closer to the screen means the other wing of the couch either comes up to the wall or has to go through it, so its impossible besides then the size of my room cuts in half if it was done. My solution is just a bigger TV, what I want is a 42" plasma, 50" if the size isn't too overwhelming.

What I'll do is E-mail you a floorplan so you see what I mean.

Geoff

LeeH

Stunt Coordinator
do you think there is anything wrong with mine (other than the rear speakers, I've recently mounted them the way they are supposed to). Don't be afraid of being rude, I can take it:) .

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have a friend who has a VERY NICE setup, but he has all his speakers laying all over the place. Also his speakers aren't even calibrated and he owns the VE setup disc(?)! I'm doing my part to help him out, I let him borrow my SPL meter to properly setup his speakers.

It's funny, his setup costs 10x what mine did but he is always telling me how much better mine sounds.

I don't understand why people will go out and spend a TON of money on there setup, but won't take the time to set it up properly?

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Lee,
The one thing that I would suggest is getting the speakers out of the entertainment center and on to some stands. Other than that it looks good for the amount of space you have.

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jawhn MacCaine
Lee,
Very nice setup for your age. I agree with Frank. If you can get your speakers out into the room I can almost guarantee an improvement in sound. My speakers in my current setup are flush mounted in the wall (both for WAF and the fact that I have doors on both corners of the wall, right next to the speakers. There's no way to move mine out, but they sound MUCH better when there about 2-4 feet out on all sides.

EarlR

Stunt Coordinator
I have been following this thread with interest and thought I would add my comments. I agree with Daniel, Jeff and some of the others. It doesn’t matter how much you spend, or if you have a dedicated room, what matters is correct speaker placement and the position of the viewing medium, TV or Projector.
I have seen setups that had tremendously expensive equipment and because everything was incorrectly placed, the room didn’t work well at all. I have also experienced so-called modest setups that worked very well because of correct placement.
Everyone has their own ideas on what makes a true H/T but without proper placement of the equipment, the room cannot achieve its best potential.

Earl

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator

For some people it's just all about buying the toys.
I have a friend that bought a complete home theater (all good stuff) and a universal remote.
His mistake?
He NEVER reads the instruction manuals!! :rolleyes
The man spends thousands on guitars and has had only 2 lessons!!
But he grins from ear to ear whenever he tells about the new toy he bought. :D
Trace
PS Guess who programmed his remote for him? I read the directions.

Kal

Agent
Top problems I usually find:

- Get the center speaker off the floor and as close as possible to the screen. Try to keep the center tweeter at more or less the same height as the L + R speakers.

- Put your L + R speakers equal distances from the screen! Don't put your equipment beside your screen and then one of your speakers way off the side.

- Keep your equipment out of sight! Your eyes are supposed to be drawn to SCREEN, not a bunch of blinking lights.

Kal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks