What's new

I've got the gear now i've got to wire it (1 Viewer)

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, so I finnaly bought a small home theater setup to start out with.

Fluance SV-10 Mains
Fluance AVSC Center
Fluance AVBP2 Rears
Onkyo 501 Receiver
Dayton 10" Sub (still waiting on arrival)

So now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to wire everything up. As I can tell, everything that gets run into the receiver will get sound through the HT speakers. In order to get regular TV going throuhg these speakers, am I going to need to run some RCA cables out to the receiver?

For hooking the sub up, am I going to need a special kind of cable?

I guess i'm just confused on the best way to run things. There is coaxial, optical, component and standard rca for running sound right? If someone could just give me a rundown on how they have their dvd going in (component i'm guessing) and what the best method for out going sound would be, that would be great.

THanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Component is for video, so your tv needs to have component inputs.

For tv to go through the speakers...............yes, run some rca cables to the tv in input on the receiver.

Not really a "special" cable for sub. Basically just a long rca cable.

Some dvd players have only a coax, and some have both coax and optical. If yours has both, take your pic. You won't notice a difference, except in price. Coax is usually cheaper. Some receivers have the coax input on the back, labelled for dvd. If yours does, I'd use the coax, since it's already set at factory for the dvd player. If you use the optical cable instead, you'll have to go into the setup and change more stuff than usual.
I use s-video cables out from my dvd player and my satellite receiver, in to the A/V receiver. Then s-video out to tv. My tv doesn't have component inputs.
Good luck!

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be getting some S-Video cables for my DVD Player and XBox. I have a couple more questions though.

I went to best buy and was looking around fo a coaxial audio cable for my DVD player but I didnt see anything labled coaxial that had the right kind of connector on it. All the coaxial I saw was the standard screw type end for hooking up cable television, is there something I'm missing?

Also, will using RCA cables to hook up my XBox be fine with getting 5.1 sound?

And lastly, for now, in order to get my recievers remote to control everything, am I going to need to run video out to the receiver from the tv as well as audio out?

I appreciate the feedback.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, you got it backwards. You need video from the receiver to the TV. Nothing for audio - the receiver is providing the audio.

However, if you don’t have a VCR, cable box or sat receiver, you’ll have to run audio from the TV to the receiver to get TV programming through the system.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Spector

Stunt Coordinator
Ah everything is becoming clearer now :). I guess I'll just have to head over to radio shack or circuit city and see if they could hook me up with a coaxial audio cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks