What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sumnernor said:
I saw yesterday about a cat that found its owner some 200 miles away. http://www.ksla.com/story/20533966/lost-cat-walks-190-miles-to-get-home
That story is amazing. How could it possibly know which direction to go, plus the fact that it survived the journey. I know some animals have amazing senses of smell. My last dog traveled a lot in my car with me, but would get really excited when I was about five miles from home. She was strictly a house/back yard dog, but maybe she grew to know the neighborhoods I was driving through, and as we got closer to home, somehow sensed we were getting close and would get really excited. But five miles, although impressive is nowhere near 190 miles.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
There are a few other posts that I have made. One a woman in California dog returned home after being away for 5 years. The dogowner was at a new address! Also a truck driver drove away from a stop and realized that his dog was left behind after he had driven 200 miles. When he came back the dog was waiting for him.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
All these stories of dogs/cats finding their homes/masters/etc. over long distances really astound me. They make me wonder about the sensory perceptions of the animals and how much more heightened they are when compared to those of humans. If only they could talk and explain it all to me...

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
My dog posts are somewhere in HTF- I found a link of someone who does not love their pet! It is about a dog hit by a car and the owner states it should be put to sleep.
http://animaltracks.today.com/_news/2013/01/20/16611329-police-officers-pitch-in-for-injured-dogs-emergency-surgery
If you want to help - one can donate $$$ for the dog
I just read that someone in New Zealand wants to ban all cats - to save the birds. Luckily most are again this. There is also a link about what would happen if all cats vanish:
http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/what-would-happen-if-all-the-worlds-cats-vanished

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...

Brooks is gone.

He died this weekend. It was nearly a year ago that we brought him home.

Brooks Desktop - small.jpg

Anybody who has followed this thread knows the deal. I was deeply sick at the beginning of last year and had a fair amount of recuperating to do. My wife and I decided to get a second dog. After a brief stumble with a dog who didn't get along with our existing dog, I met Brooks.

We were told he was eleven years old. Maybe he was. Maybe he was a year or two younger. We'll never know. He came to us by way of a shelter in Pennsylvania who couldn't adopt him. Why? I'll never imagine...except that he had some minor health concerns--skin allergies and such.

But all I saw was a big lug who was as peaceful and loving as any dog I had ever met. He helped me out of my illness and to a full recovery. And what did he ask for in repayment? My hand to pet his head and scratch his back. A real bargain from where I sit.

The only thing I think Brooks might've loved more than me was a tennis ball. Any one would do. There were days that he'd carry one around in his mouth from morning until night.

brooks with ball 2.jpg

So on Thursday after a couple days of Brooks not being up to snuff (and in apparent pain), we brought him to the vet who gave him a thorough hands-on exam. Finding nothing, she planned a series of X-rays. She came back to the examining room after taking only two pictures. He had a big mass in his abdomen near his spleen and more than a dozen tumors in his lungs. Cancer.

The vet told us the best we could do is bring him home and make him as comfortable as we can. He had maybe a few weeks to live.

I left work early Friday and we had a great afternoon together. We went on a nice walk (with lots of great smells!), got the dogs some ice cream (decadent treat!) and built a make-shift ramp so Brooks could navigate the back stairs more easily.

Later that night, with his head in my lap, Brooks began to have a seizure. He had several more before the night was over and we had him put down at the all-night emergency clinic. It was a horrible evening. The vet figured the cancer must've reached his brain.

Brooks was a good boy.

I have had four other dogs in my life. Each of them was great. But though I only had Brooks in my life for a year, he is now the gold standard against which I will judge all other dogs.

All those things we say when we talk about our dogs: the unconditional love, the faithfulness, the loyalty, etc. Brooks embodied them all.

He was the sweetest, most loving dog ever. And I miss him. Greatly.

brooks snow.jpg

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I only knew Brooks from pictures, but I loved him from the first time I saw him. I was sad when Moses didn't work out, but Brooks reminded me of my recently lost dog, Sandy. They're from the same general breed, and it sounds like they had the same basic temperment. Like with Brooks, I had to make some gentle slopes for her to walk up towards the end, because even a single step up was a hardship. It's sad for them to go, but it's good for them to be out of pain, and to have the memories of our time with them.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm sorry for your loss, Mike. You were probably the best thing that ever happened to that dog. He lived his final months in a happy home surrounded by love and tennis balls.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to you all for your kind thoughts.

And, thanks to Greg for posting the link to my wife's blog on Brooks. She's my favorite writer... :biggrin:

She has since posted an update on some of the support she has received from her friends in the pet blogosphere.

I'd like to share this one sentiment sent to us from an online friend.

We hear it all the time: "I'll never get another dog. It hurts too much." Here is a sentiment which helps us to see past the grief and focus on the greater issues at hand:

68569_4711450669046_1814453405_n.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So sorry, Mike. I know you and Brooks loved each other very much. As others have expressed, you made the last year of his life amazing. He passed knowing he was safe and much loved.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From my wife's blog this week:

brooks+hoodie.jpg
Photo07291244.jpg

When to get a new dog after your pet dies?
by Peggy Frezon

It's only been a few weeks since we lost our dog, Brooks, but my husband and I have dared, a few times, to let the subject of getting another dog escape our lips. We say it in hushed tones, almost like a secret. As if the word got out, we'd somehow seem less loyal to Brooks. When is it time to get a new dog?

The truth is, no dog can replace Brooks. No dog could ever look at me the same way he did, sprawl across my chair in the exact same way, love me the same way. No dog could be as sweet and gentle and perfect as our Brooks. But there is a hole, and nothing will be quite right again until it's filled. No, we haven't healed from losing Brooks yet. But if we wait for that, well, we're going to be waiting a long, long time.

Besides, there are other dogs out there needing homes, longing for the kind of love and comfort we have to give. A dog who otherwise might be left on the streets or in a shelter. We want to give another dog a place in our home and our hearts--even hearts that might be aching still.

So, we dared to say out loud that when the right dog comes along, we're ready. And we smiled for the first time in a long time.

There are so many dogs in need and we don't wish to be picky, but we do need to wait for the right dog. We need a dog who will fit our quieter lifestyle and easy-going pace. Most of all, we need a dog who will get along with our little spaniel-mix we found through a Petfinder listing and adopted ten years ago. Kelly isn't friendly with all dogs and we need a pet with just the right temperament who will accept her somewhat-bossy ways.

But the big question is age. Brooks was 11 years old when we adopted him and our time with him wasn't nearly as long as we would have liked. After adopting a senior and losing him after one year, would we do it again? My son says no--he's begging us, next time, to get a puppy instead. We don't want to have our hearts broken again either (although, to be sure, there are no guarantees at any age.) Truth be told, however, an older dog fits our lifestyle well. We loved how easy Brooks was--content with a few walks, throwing the tennis ball around a bit, and snoozing the rest of the day. We loved his calm personality. No, I don't relish the thought of losing a dog again. And I'd prefer a younger dog with a greater chance of spending more years together. But if the right dog came to us and he was a senior, we'd do it again.

I miss Brooks. I miss him from the moment I wake up and he's not there beside the bed greeting me, to when I'm sitting in my big green chair and he's not stretched out on the ottoman, to when I look at his picture and long to feel his soft golden fur, and every moment in between. But I think my heart is able to handle it again. My husband feels the same way. Somewhere out there a dog is waiting.

We're ready, wherever you are.

BIO: Peggy Frezon is author of the books Dieting with my Dog, and Heart to Heart, Hand in Paw. She's a regular contributor to Guideposts magazine and Chicken Soup for the Soul, and editor at Be the Change for Animals. Connect with her on her blog Peggy's Pet Place, and on Facebook.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Wow Mike, I'm just now getting up to speed on your loss. I should have waited till I got home as tearing up at work is not my favorite thing. Thanks for sharing the pain and joy with you had with Brooks - very touching. Having lost a my old beagle recently, I have really straddled the fence on signing up for that again - I can see now I might be really misguided in that. My biggest concern is being able to spend enough time with a new dog - rescue or not.

Anyway - I'm sorry for your loss.

Chris

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Here's Kayla!

Mini-pin + something else. She's a mess... We all love her of course

kayla 1.jpg

kayla 3.jpg

kayla 2.jpg

Lady in the park was stopping people trying to find a good home for her. She's secretly had her in her apartment but was afraid her landlord was going to throw her out. I'd planned to give her to my mother. But dad is acting like a b-hole about it. Me and my other 2 are pretty much attached after a few weeks with Kayla. She's extremely smart and watches/learns like my old dog Goldie did. The pics are cute ones, but she can look damn different when she's contemplating. It could be scary... lol

I've added Raven to her name for Kayla-Raven. Been calling her "Hey, Kay!" Peed once in the house, but she was sorry. Hasn't done it since. Luckily it was on a carpet I bought for a back door dirty dog dirt catcher. Rolls up for easy transport outside. Otherwise, this dog is awesome to have around. Very happy I happened by there. I was walking home from leaving my car for an oil change. Hoping she doesn't have heartworms. I'll take her in 3 or 4 weeks for some things and check. That could empty my bank account. crossing fingers. Heartworms are bad around here. I've treated 4 or 5 dogs. Honey Bun cost me over $900.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I've added Raven to her name for Kayla-Raven. Been calling her "Hey, Kay!" Peed once in the house, but she was sorry. Hasn't done it since. Luckily it was on a carpet I bought for a back door dirty dog dirt catcher. Rolls up for easy transport outside. Otherwise, this dog is awesome to have around. Very happy I happened by there. I was walking home from leaving my car for an oil change. Hoping she doesn't have heartworms. I'll take her in 3 or 4 weeks for some things and check. That could empty my bank account. crossing fingers. Heartworms are bad around here. I've treated 4 or 5 dogs. Honey Bun cost me over $900.
Live in eastern Washington, never had a pet with heartworms, fleas or any other thing like that. Had a cat and dog get fleas when I stayed with a relative in the Seattle area, so maybe a regional thing.

My last dog was an Italian Greyhound, did the whole dog show routine, part of how I was able to get her, but she ended up a champion in less than a year. The fun part was she was the last of her litter to go because other buyers judged her sisters and brothers as better dogs, yet she kicked their asses and beat them in every competition.

I was very ill for a while, and was just being a couch potato, but she came around almost exactly every two hours just to check on me, then she's go back to my bedroom. One time the two hour limit passed, got to about three hours so I went to check on her. She had passed away quietly. No seizures or anything painful, she just stopped.

Very tough to go through, but I'm glad she didn't suffer.

Took me a while, but about a year later got a black lab puppy. Amazingly affectionate dogs and very, very intelligent. We've been best buddies for three years now, she's always with me, near me, on me. Major bed hog, I have to grab my spot quickly or she'll take the entire bed. Queen sized bed, but a black lab can stretch out and take up a lot of space.

Radioman, I was considering a Min-Pin, but even with their small size, they actually seemed kind of scary and very hyper. Is Kayla that way or is it just the way some people raise their dogs?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Stan, sorry about your loss. But when you have to lose one that's a better way than so many others. I wish Goldie could have gone like that. Among my most sad days was when I had to take her on her last trip since her cancer was just terrible at that point. My other dog Bear was very old and had 2 seizures. My vet asked me did I want Bear to die at home or at their office, that she didn't have long. He was right. We stayed home.

Kayla isn't too hyper. She'll bark at the neighbors (who should ALL be barked at, lol). She'll gently play-fight with my hands...and nip playfully on the tips of my fingers when I get home (I need to warn the wee ones in the family about that when they get to meet her). She hugs my other dog Scooter and nibbles on her face. She'll jump at/playfully bite my big dog Honey Bun, Bun doesn't even notice. lol But mostly she's pretty calm. I felt she was very well taken care of. The owner was just desperate to find her a home since she couldn't keep her. I'm positive my mother will be sad she didn't take Kayla when she could have.

I had a neighbor with a mini-pin a few years back. I loved that dog. I have a long story I could tell ... Maybe another time... but she was left outdoors and was all over the place. She was very fond of me and her owners thought that was funny. She'd guard her yard and mine from anybody who came around. She'd run from here to there and back to here then back to there.... just tireless. She'd chase my car when I was leaving and meet me when I got home. It's a wonder she didn't get run over. She'd bring roadkilll to the house. Let's eat! lol But her owners were terrible.. I regret not reporting them. I offered to take the dog but they moved away. I do think it's how someone raises the dog. I saw her about a year later while out riding my motorcycle in they neighborhood where they moved. she barked at my like I was her biggest enemy. So I stopped the bike, took off my helmet and called her over by name. She just stopped and tilted her head like WTF? lol She didn't come over. I always wear a hat so I was thinking if I had that hat she might have remembered me. A great deal to tell about that dog and the family that had her. They nearly killed her but I saved her. I won't let that kind of thing happen again ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks