I've got a new dog!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Very sad, as always.
    It's also a difficult, but not unimportant, experience for the children.

We lose things. Animals. People.

Cees

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Merry Christmas, everyone!

--From Mike & Ike and Kelly

IMG_0825.JPG

Dheiner, Radioman970 and Stan like this.
  3. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Hope everybody's best buddies did okay around the holidays. Traveling, having company over, food, gifts, etc... mine were all perfect. Proud of those guys.

My sis had a house full of animals since she was watching others while folks were out of town. I wish I had taken my camera. My niece's cat was amazing. White, with dark stripes on face and arms, other areas had no stripes. Looked like a white tiger cub. Also, cross eyed. My niece works for a animal organization that rescues/places, etc. they aparently get some amazing ones. I'll try to get a pic from someone else (from her!) and post it here.

4. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

My black lab Kylie did great. She absolutely adores people and other animals. She played, ran circles around the house and loved the company.

I got a black lab, having been around many of them. They were always so calm and relaxed. Wrong...

Kylie is five years old yet you'd think she was five months old. She's so active it amazing. Thankfully she's like a baby, a few hours of major activity followed by ten+ hours of snoozing.

5. ColColt

ColColt Stunt Coordinator

David
    That was sad to read. Next to Corgis, Goldens are my favorite breed. In fact, I give to the TVGRR (TN Valley Golden Retriever Rescue) every year. Being a fan of Cesar Milan, I can't help wondering what his comments would have been about this situation and a helpful fix before it got to that point.

I'm lucky in that I've only had one at a time. My Bubba, a nine year old, slightly overweight, Pembroke Welsh Corgi fits in the submissive personality. I've seen younger female dogs put him on h is back in submission and he'll even clear a coffee table if you drop that bag of Doritos accidentally. People don't understand that you can't "just go get another one" when your favorite buddy passes on or they don't work out. They all have personalities just like we do and there is no replacing them. I do wish you all the luck on our next choice. The rescue groups should know their personality and instruct you accordingly.

OK-I just had to post a pic of my great friend and buddy.

[​IMG]

Radioman970 and Northgun like this.
  6. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    That is a beautiful Dog ColColt!

7. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Either today or tomorrow my wife and I will be going to pick up our new Icelandic Sheepdog puppy :) It will be our second Icelandic and she will be a show dog just like her new step sister (our current dog). We are very excited! :)

8. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Beautiful breed of dog, wish you the best.I had an Italian Greyhound show dog, finished her championship in three months. It was a lot of fun because she was the last of the breeder's litter, nobody wanted her, she was going to become a "pet" puppy until I got her. I wasn't even "approved" to be her owner except that a friend of mine who raises Akitas vouched for me and said she would be shown and finished. Kind of a small IG community, but she beat every IG she went up against, including all her siblings.

She cost me $400, along with thousands of dollars in travel, hotel stays, etc. for dog shows. Since you're already showing your current dog, you know the routine. It's fun, but expensive and time consuming.

She died very peacefully in her sleep about five years ago, finally decided I needed a dog in the house. IGs were going for over $1000 at that time, so I got my adorable black lab Kylie for $75 instead. Not a puppy mill or something awful like that, bought her from neighbors that had an accidental "breeding".

Dogs are wonderful companions.

Northgun likes this.
  9. Northgun

Northgun Second Unit

Jacob
    Thank you :)

O! The Italian Greyhound is a very beautiful breed as well! Thats quite a feat to get her championship in 3 months. Thats very impressive! It will probably take my wife and I quite a wail to finish our first Icelandic because of jobs and such. Our newest dog will be finished a lot faster because there will be 3 of us showing her.
    Sorry for your loss, it is very hard to lose a dog because they become a member of the family. I'm glad to hear you got another dog in the home. I don't think I could go without having a dog in the house. I couldn't agree with you more on dogs being a wonderful companion. They are amazing friends and family members :)

Stan likes this.
  10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Your buddies look contented with the added head attachments. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the guy Christmas morning serving us at Dennys. Poor guy... fake antlers. a level of humiliation that can probably only be topped in a 3rd world country.

11. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

She was a beautiful dog, but a major chow hound, would eat everything in sight, not good for a breed like her.
    One very strange thing is I could never show her. She acted like the goofiest puppy you can imagine, no manners, we were in the ring to have fun and play. Didn't go well with the judges.

I rotated between the breeder, her grand-daughter and my Akita friends to show her. I literally had to hide behind tents, etc. so she couldn't see me, otherwise she'd completely freak out and get excited, totally blowing her chance in the ring.She was also nervous about being touched by the judges, so one day we just sat her on a table, and probably 50 people came by to pet her, touch her, etc. and she got used to things very fast.

12. ColColt

ColColt Stunt Coordinator

David
    Thank you, sir. He's the love of my life and all I have.

Everyone who loves the Golden breed, if you haven't already, you need to see this...fantastic.

13. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    We after a few months of searching we got a new dog this week. She is a 7 month old Cane Corso that we got from a rescue organization in Arizona. We just got in last night so she is still settling in, but doing very good so far with our other dog and the family.

Capture.JPG

Sam Posten likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Wow, Adam!

THAT is one regal-looking dog. And, BIG!!!

I bet the kids just eat her right up! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Hey Look who it is.

edit: OOPS, guess I'm a whole day behind.

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Gotta keep up, man!

:laugh:

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Apparently.

:cheers:

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

For those who might not know, I just spent 30+ days in the hospital.

So, when I finally got released to go home a day or so ago...I was reunited with my buddy Ike who really had to be wondering what happened to me. If I might say so, it was a rather emotional reuniting:

Ike Greets Dad After Hospital Stay 2-19-14 - cropped.jpg

As you can see, I've still got my hospital wristband and various bandages still in place.

David_B_K, DaveF, Sam Posten and 2 others like this.
  19. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Sorry for the hospital stay Mike.

I went through a two week stay about seven years ago, and even though I was well enough to go home, was to weak to take care of my dog, so a friend kept her for two months. It was fantastic when she was able to return home. The love of my life and really helped me get better.

A sad but poignant ending to the story, even though I was still pretty ill, my dog always checked on me. About every two hours she'd circle the house, sit with me, make sure things were okay, then go back to her spot on my bed. About two months after she came home, her two hour rounds stopped. After about three hours went to check on her and she had quietly passed away in her sleep. Very tough thing to deal with, especially with my own health just beginning to recover.

Treasure every moment with our pets.

20. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Thanks for sharing Stan. There is nothing like a relationship between a person and their dog.