I've got a new dog!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    phone the radio stations (wink wink) and animal control as well to find the owner. Also, vets in the area.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    He didn't bring up Rimadyl. But we need to make sure it isn't "brain related"(checked negative for Lyme).

He has missing patches of fur that interpret as if he were caught in a fight with something. I hope it is nothing more than malnourished and beat up.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    No collar or chip. known strays in the area(cat and dog) for population control are chipped by the county(have hangtags in their left ears with a code).

This one is a lost dog. Already created a CL posting and checked CL. The area Facebook has no dogs matching this one. Have a feeling this one was diagnosed with heartworms and kicked outside.

Every ".org" I've checked for this type of dog suggests he was a $800 puppy. Chow mixes are popular around here for temperament and hardiness for "lake effect cold".

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    $800?! Seems like a $400 hw treatment wouldn't be much more. The dog I got from a rescue org need 2 hw treatments at about $900. I gladly paid it. She's like a horse.. a landseer/newfy mix.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

We are starting to run into some health issues with Ike.

He's got an unusually low heart rate. He's not putting on much weight (and he's pretty thin). And he's anemic and his red blood cell count is going down rather than up. :(

Also, adding to our issues...he thinks he can diagnose himself, simply because he finished at the top of his obedience class:

Doctor Ike.JPG

Our vet is going to continue to monitor his status. In a couple of weeks, if things don't start to turn around, a comprehensive blood work-up will be sent out to a pathologist for a full work-up.
    Currently, he is completely asymptomatic. He looks healthy (outside of being a bit too skinny) and has tons of energy and life.

Things might be able to turn around...or they might be serious. Time will tell.

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Good luck with him. He's handsome..

My dog Scooter lost the use of her back legs for a moment last week. She looked very confused for a bit. I held her, seriously thought she was having a heart attack during our walk near the park. She's about back to normal now. Now, she's not winning "the race" to the edge of the yard where the squirrels are. But she still comes up mostly second just before slowpoke Kayla mini-pin (well, Kay actually ends up crashing into the back of Scooter lol) . I plan a visit to the vet soon to see what it is. Bear had similar problems late in her life. I know I should have had her on some meds for it. Bear's weight was fine, but Scooter's a little pudgy.

7. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Max on the couch.jpg Our fantastic, fabulous, super dog: Max! He is 8 months old, we have had him for 5 and a half months now. An absolute joy in every way.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Great dog! Great picture!

Congratulations, Ted!

It is the best thing in the world when a family is lucky enough to get a "fantastic, fabulous, super dog!" :D

:thumbs-up-smiley:

9. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    he looks awesome. i always wanted a dog with beard/mustache like hair coloring. So many name possibilities. (mine generally get 5+ names... lol ) And dogs with hair coloring like this just need at least one name that begins "Professor..." something. Professor Maxwell would be great! If you could get him to wear a monocle.. .well, almost impossible ... :(

10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

So there I was enjoying the fact that my Red Sox won the World Series tonight...and Ike wanted to get in on the celebrating! :D

Ike in Red Sox Necktie - Small.jpg

bryan4999 likes this.
  11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This is fun!

Radioman970 and Stan like this.
  12. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

That was amazing. There had to be some hidden special effects, not that I could see, but the entire one camera, no cuts to different scenes or angles was incredible.

Kind of like the young Jodie Foster scene in Contact where she runs up to a mirror, I've never figured out how that was done.

13. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

There's probably some digital editing involved but it's pretty awesome.

I don't want to turn this into a video thread but it inspires me to post one of my favorite dog videos. Done in one take.

Here's the Outtake/alt angle view. Cutting straight to the video:
    http://youtu.be/CXJflIGDE-o?t=6m29s

Radioman970 likes this.
  14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

The only part of it that seemed obviously "wrong" to me was the last tennis ball that rolled to knock down the dominoes at the very end. I'm going to say (as a guess) it is CGI'd. None of the balls which drop from the container seem to be heading in that direction and that particular ball appears after a dog in the frenzied foreground clears out. And I have a hard time believing that a dropped ball could be counted on to take that path--all by itself--and that the rest of the deluge would avoid those dominoes. Oh. And that tennis ball would need to travel at quite an exact (and slow) pace.

And, Paul. THAT was also quite amazing! Watching the alternate angles made me appreciate it that much more!

It is amazing what computers can do nowadays. Afterwards, I talked it over with my wife and said, "Who knows? The entire thing could be CGI'd together."

15. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

That last tennis ball did kind of ruin things a bit. It was just to perfect, to well aimed to be believable. But it was still fun to watch.
    I don't believe anything I see anymore. With all the CGI and digital manipulation, you never know what's real and what isn't.

16. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Sorry to be a thread hog, but just had to comment. That video was incredible. Must have taken many, many months of rehearsals to get it right, both for the dogs and the guys. Thank you.

17. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    We had to put our 14yo Chow/Shepard mix down this morning. Difficult decision, but for the best.

DSC00037 (Small).JPG

18. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    @ Adam. He looks like he had it made with you guys. 14 years is great. Sorry for your loss.

Scooter is doing better. She's still not 100% steady with her bad legs, a tad wobbly, but I think she'll be fine. I have Honey Bun and Kayla on leashes and Scooter runs free ahead of us, and I have to constantly tell her to slow down again. So that's good..

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Adam:

Sooooo sorry for your loss.

That looks like one great bear of a dog.

20. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I'm so sorry to read of your loss, Adam. I've said it before and I'll say it every time - losing our 13yr old maltese devastated me in a way I never saw coming. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.