What's new

ITV (UK) Blu-ray-titles coming (e.g. "The Boys from Brazil", "Great Expectations") (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

....except if a Wee-jun Bee type BD has extras in PAL like ITV's Great Expectations. I can hear it but can't see it. I know a few brands of plasmas in North American will display PAL. Most of us cannot unless we use converters.

I have a fistful of ITV titles and the documentary on Great Expectations is the only PAL on any of the discs. The other have nothing more than a trailer though.

This is the only pitfall for us in NTSC "federation".

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Locked, I hope this isn't a trend. ITV has been my fav imports. Wee-jun Kodes need to go visit the Dodos at where-ever, where ever it is, extinct haven.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Boys From Brazil does look pretty good...if not a tad too clean. I know DNR gets alot of hyperbole though. ;) I've seen much worse examples but BFB looks like more like video than film. Still a good film. (didn't quite age well for me though as I remember seeing such a long time ago)

Also, this was the first import that had some lip synch issues and what looked like some PAL speedup. I realize PAL is not an issue for Blu-ray but that's the way it looked a few times on my parents setup...Panasonic BD30.

Great Expectations appears to be very faithful to what I remember all those years ago. Film grain in intact and looks like film.

Well done.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Actually, saw someone on another forum I frequent using it and
I liked it so much that I chose to use it as well.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I asked because to some degree it reflects the personality of a cat. I have several I love very much but there is a bit of an anarchist in a cat
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
OK, back on topic.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny

I hope it's an indication that Criterion will release it in the not too distant future. I watched the ITV release last week and the picture quality is not what it could be due to the applied DNR. It's a pity because the restoration comparison (in 1080p) that is an extra on the disc does not show any DNR for the restored segments so this could have been a stunning release if they had not thought they could do even better with applying unnecessary DNR. The result is a mediocre BD and I have no doubt that Criterion will do much better.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
ITV will release Powell and Pressburger's The Red Shoes on June 29 in the UK.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got The Ipcress File this week. It doesn't look DNR'ed to death. There's plenty of natural looking grain. The audio was suprisinlgy good for a mid-60's film. I also got Zulu but that's a Paramount U.K. title....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I preordered The Red Shoes from Amazonia U.K. Well, that didn't last long. They just notified me that the BD was canceled.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Aye, I found it on HMV's site, which I've never ordered from before. Amazon's e-mail implied that the disc was outright canceled. Thanks for the tip!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Olivier's Hamlet and the recently restored Henry V (which should look fabulous), plus Hitchcock's The 39 Steps and the remake of All Quiet on The Western Front are being released on October 12th by ITV DVD.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

A little more info might be pleasant - like region-free or locked or a link.
Well, none have been Wee-jun locked so far. Great Expectations did have PAL extras. Most of their BD's have had no extras or just a trailer anyway. I don't think iTV will lock unless forced to by somebody like, say, Fox or Disney.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

A little more info might be pleasant - like region-free or locked or a link.
It would be pleasant, but there simply is no more information. There is no news on region coding at this stage, but you'll find these available for pre-ordering at several UK etailers including Amazon.co.uk
Edited by John Hodson - 8/9/2009 at 12:25 pm GMT

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
I don't think that's quite accurate - I got some Brit film (David Lean, I think) that was locked - I can't remember which film, since I got rid of it, but it was definitely Brit, definitely late 40s/early 50s, and definitely locked. I have all the ITV region-frees and was surprised by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks