Hi guys-

Here's a computer impaired person asking what will be a
very basic question to everyone here, so please don't
throw too many tomatoes.;)

I'm in the process of converting some of my CD music library
to MP3 using the Magix MP3 maker deluxe 2005 software, and
putting the files on a hard drive that will only be used to
store the MP3s. I don't have the capacity to get music off
the net (dial-up), so I'll just stick to my own collection.
If I get an iPOD, will it be easy to transfer the files to
the iPOD? Thanks for any responses.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Scott;
Yes, I am silly. ptttttbtbtbt. However two mp3 players is not exactly a surplus - nor would I consider it unreasonable to assume music downloads to be as standardized as CDs, cassettes, 8-tracks or any other 'hard' media. I think NOT being standardized is silly. So there! Nyea! Considering I've only had them a matter of weeks I feel I am ahead of the learning curve.

Jeff;

AFIK tunes you rip from a CD are universal - they work on anything.

**edit - so long as you remember to rip them as MP3's**

There are some CDs which are intentionally corrupted by the recording companies so they won't work on a PC. (and can cause a host of other troubles also) Here is a resource to find out which;
http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/quick/ It is a bit dated - maybe someone here knows a more current one?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Jeff, yes, you will be able to easily add your MP3 files to your iPod. If you choose to use Apple's iTunes program to manage your music library, you can point iTunes at your MP3 files on your "music" hard drive, or you can choose to let iTunes organize your MP3 collection.

I actually let iTunes organize my music files, keeping them on my C: drive. However, I also have an external USB hard drive where I back up all my files, including my MP3 music files.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm reviving an old thread just to ask a quick question. Consolidate files puts all my music files and anything else I've dragged into iTunes into the iTunes folder, I gather. I can then safely delete the files from their original locations? I've stubbornly adhered to my own hard drive organization that I used before iTunes existed, and I'm thinking it's time to step into 2001. But, I've got a lot of lot of files, and before I do this, I want to make sure it's not going to just put some pointer in the iTunes folder and when I delete the files from their original locations, poof! I'm wiped out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks