iTunes ripping question

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Patrick_S, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

I have an audio book that is on 15 CDs and was wonder if it is possible to rip all the CDs into one big AAC file?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    There maybe some way to do that, but I don't think iTunes will do it. Do you really need it on one file? You could just convert each CD and name the titles sequentially, so they would play automatically in order.

3. KevA

KevA Stunt Coordinator

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Thanks for the links. That brought something to mind. I have started using LAME to encode mp3s instead of iTunes, but the iTunes interface for LAME (at least the one I have) does not let you join tracks that have no break between them. It would be a couple extra steps, but these apps will let me use LAME and join together the tracks which need it.

5. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer
    Supporter

Well of course it is not a matter of life or death. Right now I simply combine all the tracks on an individual CD into one file and title it with the book’s title followed by (Disc ##). iTunes indexes them in order and it is ok but lately I have gotten some audio books that are one file and I find them to be immensely more convenient since they remember where the listener left off.

KevA, thanks for the links I will definitely give those applications a try.

6. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I remember doing this in iTunes and just had the chance to look. It seems you can only combined tracks when you're importing a CD. Just select all the tracks you'd like to combine and select Advanced-Join CD Tracks. But since your tracks are over 15 CDs, this won't completely solve the problem.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    This Mac Gem sounds like what you want (if you've not yet solved the problem).