What's new

It's time to make the jump - Blu-ray player recommendations (1 Viewer)

House8311

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher House
I've put off this whole Blu-ray thing long enough. Now is the time. I was hoping you guys can give me some player recommendations.

Here's what I'm needing:

-Excellent picture quality. This is far and away the most important factor for me.

-Excellent upconverting for standard DVDs. I want my DVDs to look the best they possibly can.

-Netflix streaming capability. Gotta love Netflix.

-Region-free or the ability to become region-free. (Region-free for standard DVDs is all I'm needing. Area-free for BDs is not necessary)

-Fast boot/load times. I've used BD players that take over a minute just to show signs of life. This would bug the crap out of me.

-I'd like to spend less than $300.

I know the new Oppo players would definitely suit me in terms of picture quality, but I'm a little put off by the price (especially if I'll be paying for a lot of features I'll never touch). I've also heard good things about some of the Panasonic players, and they seem to be more in my price range, but I'm unsure if they can be made region-free, so maybe someone can answer that for me.

Let's here what you guys have to say.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I highly recommend the Panasonic players, but I don't know about the region free thing.

I've got 2 of the BD65's and it's a great player with Netflix, etc.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Also, the PlayStation 3 meets most of your criteria.

For $299, you get:

* Blu-ray disc playback (with some of the fastest loading times)

* DVD upscaling

* Netflix streaming in HD and 5.1 DD+ audio on select titles

* VuDu pay-per-view streaming

* Hulu+ (for an additional fee)

* Built-in WiFi

* Gaming console

* Media player (music, photos, videos)

Region-free may be an issue, though. Also, for some reason, the PS3 cannot upconvert SD material on a Blu-ray disc.

Some stores, because of the PlayStation Network security breach and outage, have been offering some pretty sweet bundle deals on the PS3 lately. Fry's Electronics is throwing in 2 additional games with the $399 PS3 Movie bundle.

I highly recommend purchasing the Sony PS3 Blu-ray remote, and not a third-party remote.

House8311

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher House
Hey guys I just thought of something else important that I need. Since I have an older receiver with no HDMI, I'll need analog outputs for 5.1. It seems the PS3 and the Pannasonic 110/210/310 only have 2 channel outputs.

House8311

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher House
Originally Posted by Jim Mcc

Don't those players have an optical or coaxial digital output?

Probably, but it's my understanding that optical/coax are unable to transmit HD audio. Without HDMI, multi-channel analogue is required. Is this correct?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You're correct. Without hdmi you'll need a player with multi-ch analog outputs for HD audio. Make sure it decodes the HD formats too. Maybe time for a new receiver ?

OPPO currently has a limited supply of BDP-80 refurbs for sale on their website. While it doesn't have the Anchor Bay video processor of the 83 or the Marvel processor of the 93 it's priced at $245 + sh and comes with a factory warranty. But there are probably better, cheaper alternatives from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, LG if you don't have any interest in DVD-A/SACD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Toddwrtr

Also, the PlayStation 3 meets most of your criteria.

Also, for some reason, the PS3 cannot upconvert SD material on a Blu-ray disc.

Isn't that a significant drawback? Many blu-ray's contain SD material. What does the non-upconverted SD look like? Am I correct is presuming the PS3 can upconvert a DVD?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Ironically, the PS3 does a very good job at upconverting DVDs. Viewing SD material on Blu-ray on a PS3 is dependent on how the material was encoded and compressed, and how it looked to begin with.

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Isn't that a significant drawback? Many blu-ray's contain SD material. What does the non-upconverted SD look like? Am I correct is presuming the PS3 can upconvert a DVD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks