What's new

IT'S TIME! I've Got Baloney In My Slacks...for Animaniacs! AND Pinky and the Brain! (1 Viewer)

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
Freunleven!

Awesome news about Animaniacs & Pinky and the Brain. Now all I need is news for Tiny Toons and my cartoonage trilogy will be complete! I wonder if they'll release the movies on DVD too like "Wakko's Wish" and Tiny Toon's "How I Spent My Vacation"...

RossHy

Agent
This is so awesome. I've been waiting for this for a long time. When they say volumes, like they did with the Batman & Superman sets, does it follow along season lines or is it just collections of episodes?

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

Most likely a collection of episodes. The first season ran 65 episodes and the second ran another 4. After that they were just in reruns. I would guess WB will divide them up into 3 volumes based on air date (if possible). 3 volumes of 23 episodes each sounds about right and thats roughly the same as the Batman/Superman sets. Just my guess.

"While Bill Clinton plays the sax" - Had that song stuck in my head the whole day... I need help.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
BRAIN: Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?
PINKY: I think so Brain, but this time you try making an offering of Gord Lacey's dream date to him.

This is WONDERFUL news!!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Are we there yet? I'm tired. I'm hungry, I've got to use the potty.

Great news. I loved Animaniacs as a kid.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I am reliably informed that volume 1 of "Animaniacs" and "Pinky and the Brain" are tentatively scheduled for July 25, 2006, with volume 2 of each tentatively scheduled for December 6, 2006.

Subject to change, of course.

Update: Link fixed.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This is incredible news-hopefully we'll actually get full episodes though, rather than themed discs of episode sections. Really, a lot of these had a "Monty Python's Flying Circus" feeling to them, which means that keeping the individual segments tied together is essential to the running gags.

Ah Animaniacs-so very random!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
At the same time, I hope they also do the "sing-along" discs as well. It was nice having all the musical acts together on the two VHS tapes that they did.

Jason

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I'm all about this. With Ducktales, this is great news. I also second "Freakazoid!" and Put in for Darkwing Duck. I'll be a happy capmper then.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I think when they say collections that they mean that the episodes will be split up into several volumes. Several of these shows had an extensive collection of episodes in their seasons ("Animaniacs" especially).

I wouldn't be worried about "Best-Ofs" or anything like that.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Hoping I'm right.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I'm ecstatic about the news of these releases. But now I'm wondering how many releases it will take to get all of the Animaniacs episodes. I tried to figure it out by looking at an episode guide at TV.com but gave up, because it was neverending! I don't remember how long each "episode" would be, and therefore, how many would fit on a DVD boxset in theory. Can anyone predict that?

Nick_TV

Stunt Coordinator
I may be totally off, but using this episode guide for Animaniacs (http://www2.cruzio.com/~keeper/AHEM.txt) I figure there are about 100 30-minute episodes. There seems to be more episodes listed on this site, but they are just skits from previous episodes reordered into an hour long episode (or just simply reordered). There may be other episodes missing from this list.

But,
(1) assuming there are about 100 30-minute episodes
(2) other tv show season sets have about 25 30-minute episodes per dvd set

we might be looking at 4-5 volume dvd sets with around 25 episodes each. Anything could happen, but this might be one scenario. Looking at the episode guide, I'm glad they aren't doing season releases and going the volumes route instead. Looking at the air dates of the episodes, it would be pretty unnatural to do it by season. About 65 of these episodes all occur in 1 "season". The others, are pretty short. According to the episode guide...

Animaniacs
Season 1 (93-94): 65 episodes (1-65)
Season 2 (94): 4 episodes (66-69)
Season 3 (95): 9 episodes (70-78)
Season 4 (96): 12 episodes (79-90)
Season 5 (97-98): 10 episodes (91-100)
Total: 100

I imagine whatever they do for Animaniacs they'll do for Pinky & The Brain too. But, PATB's seasons 1-2 are pretty normal length. But, season 3 is extremely long and season 4 is short. Seems like 4-5 volumes is the better way to go for PATB's 94 30-minute episodes as well.

Again, I might be totally off. Anyone else have a thought?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
TV Shows On DVD has more.

As to how they'll divide the shows up, I'm not sure; I could see them doing four Animaniacs volumes of 24-25 episodes each, and three "Pinky and the Brain" volumes of 22 episodes each. ("Animaniacs" had 99 episodes; "Pinky and the Brain" had 65, not including the 13 additional episodes with Elmyra.)

If the "Animaniacs" first volume contains the first 22 episodes, here are the cartoons that would be included (there's almost no difference between production and airing order for "Animaniacs," because the episodes were assembled out of unrelated cartoons and filler segments). I'll categorize them by character, just to be geeky, though of course this list doesn't include the great filler segments like "Mime Time" and "Randy Beaman":

Yakko, Wakko and Dot
De-Zanitized (the Warners meet Dr. Scratchansniff)
Cookies for Einstein (the Warners meet Albert Einstein)
HMS Yakko ("I am the very model of a cartoon individual...")
Hooked on a Ceiling (the Warners meet Michelangelo)
Taming of the Screwy (the Warners learn to behave in preparation for a big studio party)
Temporary Insanity (the Warners fill in when Mr. Plotz's secretary is sick)
Piano Rag (the Warners heckle a concert pianist)
The Big Candy Store (the Warners annoy a mean candy store owner)
Wally Llama (the Warners have a question for the wisest creature in the world)
King Yakko (Yakko becomes king of Anvilania)
No Pain, No Painting (Picasso)
Garage Sale of the Century (the Warners go to a garage sale and try to buy the garage)
Hello Nice Warners (the Warners meet Jerry Lewis, aka "Mr. Director")
La La Law (the Warners go to court)
Space-Probed (the Warners get abducted by aliens)
Chalkboard Bungle (the Warners go to school)
Roll Over Beethoven (Beethoven, "world-famous composer und pianist")
Nothing But the Tooth ("I really like Rasputin...")
Meatballs or Consequences (the Warners meet Death)
Hearts of Twilight (the Warners get sent to stop Mr. Director from making a movie that's going way over budget)
Four Score and Seven Migraines Ago (Lincoln)
Plane Pals (the Warners travel on a plane with "Ivan Bloski)

Pinky and the Brain
Win Big (Brain tries to win $99,000 on "Gyp-Parody")
Where Rodents Dare (the mice try to climb a mountain and crash a conference of world leaders)
Battle for the Planet (Brain fakes an alien invasion to scare everyone out of the cities)
Pavlov's Mice (Brain tries to steal the Russian Crown Jewels)

Slappy Squirrel
Slappy Goes Walnuts (Slappy shows her nephew Skippy how to pummel "Doug the Dog")
Bumbie's Mom (Slappy takes Skippy to meet "Bumbie's Mom" and show that she's not really dead)
Hurray For Slappy! (Slappy's old enemies try to kill her at her "lifetime achievement" banquet)
Guardin' the Garden (Slappy is put in charge of stopping the snake from stealing the apples in the Garden of Eden)

Goodfeathers
Goodfeathers: The Beginning (Squit joins the Goodfeathers)
West Side Pigeons (Squit falls in love with a girl from the rival gang, the Sparrows)
The Boids (the Goodfeathers get jobs as stunt birds in a Hitchcock movie)

Mindy and Buttons
Operation Lollipop (Button gets beaten up real bad)
Cat On A Hot Steel Beam (ditto)

Rita and Runt
When Rita Met Runt (Rita meets Runt)
Les Miseranimals ("Runt Valrunt" is on the run in 19th century Paris)
The Cat and the Fiddle (Antonio Stradivarius wants to kill Rita and make her into violin strings)

Flavio and Marita: The Hip Hippos
La Behemoth (an opera where the Hippos lose their maid)
A Moving Experience (the Hippos move to the city's neon glow)

Chicken Boo
Chicken Boo-Ryshnikov
Davy Omelette

The Flame
The Flame (obligatory annoying non-comedy cartoon; fortunately there were very few of these)

Songs and Musical Sequences
The Monkey Song
Yakko's World
Yakko's Universe
What Are We?
Little Old Slappy from Pasadena
The Great Wakkorotti: The Master & His Music
Wakko's America

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I'm actually disappointed Pinky and the Brian won't contain the Animaniacs shorts. I loved both shows but Pinky and the Brian is the only one I want complete.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Bummer, I mean yea!!, but bummer..If you only want Pinky and the Brain your screwed and have to buy both sets..Why couldn't they just put all the P-n-B episodes in one set..I really don't care for the Animaniacs that much.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I never actually watched the standalone pinky & the brain, but Animaniacs was absolutely brilliant! If that cartoon list is accurate, then these are going to be some awesome DVDs. No listings of Mime Time, Good Idea, Bad Idea, and miscellaneous bits like the Wheel of Morality? Come on Jamie, you can put in more detail than that... :)

Actually, the absolutely random nature of this show is what makes it so great, which is why Warner releasing complete episodes (instead of character compilations) is a fantastic plan. Here's hoping the news is true (and that there aren't any edits in the shows).

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
I'm glad they're not repeating material. I want Animaniacs way more. Pinky & The Brain is a "some day" buy when I have more cash to burn on TV shows on DVD. And if I do decide to get it, I'll feel better about it knowing I'm not paying twice for parts I already own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks