It's Official!!! I'm a Daddy!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Randy Tennison, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    We just got back from Russia with our new son, Charlie, who is 13 months old. He's a real cutie (of course, I'm not biased in the least).

Our trips were interesting. I made the first trip (my wife stayed home) and met Charlie in the orphange in Astrakhan, Russia. He was very cute, and a good kid. However, he was not used to affection, so he didn't know what kisses are. After about the 4th day, he finally figured out he liked forehead kisses, and would lean his little head forward so I could kiss his forehead. We had to leave, as Russia requires two trips, and the second can be 60 days or more later.

We ended up going back in about 3 weeks. I wasn't sure if Charlie would remember me. He was brought into the room. I had mom take him, so she could meet him. There were so many people around that Charlie was a bit confused. Finally, I took him, and held him and talked to him. After about a minute, he looked in my face, smiled, and leaned his head forward for a kiss. I melted all of the chair at that point.

We went to court 3 times (the prosecutor was putting on an act of being thorough), and finally, legally adopted Charlie. We made it home (after some airline mishaps), and now have someone inhabiting the nursery we built.

We are still screwed up on our body clocks, but it's getting better!!!!

It's great being a daddy! As soon as we get settled, I'm going to introduce him to Disney on a 100 inch screen!!!!!

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Congrats Randy ! Parenthood is a wonderful phase of life and it looks like you are off to a great start. Charlie sounds like a wonderful kid !

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Thanks for sharing, Randy! Congrats!

4. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Bravo!

I am looking forward to our own trip (to the Ukraine, in our case).

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Randy:

Congrats my friend. I always say that it is an amazing thing that we have in us that is like a switch that we didn't know we had. That switch gets turned on and from that point on everything that we thought that meant anything in this world suddenly has no meaning and it is all about the child.

May God bless you and your family in the years to come and bring you nothing but joy with your son.

I know my life would be a lot less full without my daughter who gets to start Kindergarten in a few weeks.

BTW, my wife is a Pediatric RN so if you ever have any questions or we can help out let me know.

6. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Wow, congrats on becoming new parents!

I'm just curious, is it easier to adopt overseas instead of domestic?

7. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Congrats, I too will be a daddy soon. I sort of know what it feels like. Mine is still baking in the oven right now. Our little one is due Feb. 15, 2006. I want my little one to be here already. I wish it was instabake and he or she was already here. I can't wait to be a daddy.

Congrats on making it through all the hoops to adopt. I have a family member that adopted a little girl form China and she is one of the cutest little things. They made many trips to China to finally bring home their little bundle of joy. It was hard on them sometimes, but the end result is always worth it.

Drew,

From what I was told by people I know, was that there was less legal maneuvering to go through to adopt overseas. It took less time and there are so many children that need a home overseas, that they tend to make it a little easier. Here in the U.S. they have so many hoops they make you jump through, it can be years before you are able to adopt.

But congratulations and welcome to the new era in your life Randy.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Hey congrats! That's a great story about the forehead kisses.

9. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

My understanding is that there's a pretty long wait here in the US if you want a white baby, but things are much faster if you are more flexible in regards to race and age. That said, there is always a fear that some years later the mother might want her child back, and in many instances they have been successful. There are no such fears if you adopt out of country.

Randy, congrats!

10. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Randy, congrats, both on the baby and on maneuvering through the adoption process. Glad to have people that are willing to do that!

We're quite happy with our little bundle - he's 17 months old, and an absolute blast to have around. Wouldn't have it any other way; Parker described it perfectly.

All the best!

Mike

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Makes me almost want to have a kid ...almost!

Great story Randy, I'm happy for you.

Brent

12. Randy Tennison

Randy
    Many people has asked why we didn't do domestic. The main reason was that we didn't want an open adoption. There is too much risk for the mother to petition to have the child returned. It's just too scary.

Our dentist just adopted domestically. He was really trying to figure out why we went international. I mentioned that it takes a long time to get a domestic adoption referral. He told me that after they put out their information, they had 3 women ask to interview, and all 3 selected him. I told him, "Of Course!!!! You're a millionaire dentist. I work for a propane company!"

International adoptions are closed. There is no chance for the mother to come back and regain custody. Plus, as my friend said, children in America will be taken care of. They will have foster homes, or get adopted. Children in Russia have no future. They live for 18 years in an orphanage, and then get sent out into the world, where they have no chance. It's really sad to see the kids in the orphange. They are desperate for love and attention.

Well, we got our little man. People say, "You saved him". No, really, he saved us.

13. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Congratulations, Randy! Any chance you'd post a pic or two of your little man for the rest of us to see? Maybe one with you and your Mrs. giving him a forehead kiss?

Oh, and let us know how the intro to Disney on a 100" screen turns out. [​IMG]

14. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

He's got you now Randy. At this point you'll lay your life down for him. You've been sucked in.

They're clever that way you know. Quite Darwinian...[​IMG]

And it just gets better. Congrats and enjoy every moment.

15. Mark Sherman

Mark Sherman Supporting Actor

That is Just awesome Randy. Are we gonna see pictures of the little guy.

16. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

awesome randy ... big congrats!

where's that cute little forehead we're hearing so much about? [​IMG]

17. Randy Tennison

Randy
  18. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Congratulations, Randy! You will be great parents, I just know it.

19. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    Randy,

What a great story! Thanks for sharing and congratulations. For some reason I can't see the photos but hopefully you will post again.

Chris

20. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I can't see the photos on your latest post either, Randy.

P.S. Would someone with a technical clue give aid and assistance to someone without a technical clue please? Thanks! [​IMG]